The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant

Just seen the best film ever made......STAR TREK!!!! it was amazing. Fast paced from the start. JJ did an amazing job. Kept life long trekkies like me happy but bought a different feel to it. Lots of laughs in there too. Great story. Loved the part where Kirk says "i've got your gun". To be honest i had the same feeling leaving this fillm as i did the first time i saw Star Wars. Fantastic to see so much of Nimoy although was a bit shocked to see how much he had aged mind you he is 78 now. Case you cant tell i'm still buzzing from seeing it. Want to go see it again. I take my hat off to JJ
Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Midshipman

Just watched it today at my local cinema here in the UK. Being a die hard TOS trek fan, I didn't hold high expectations for this film, due to the fact that I don't think anyone can replace the original cast. However, I was blown away with this re-imagining of the startrek series. Casting was excellent, the story although a little fast paced, was admirable, FX brilliant, and just the right amount of humour and drama that we have come to expect from Star Trek.
I found it a thoroughly enjoyable film, and over too quickly. I want more!
I hope we see this new crew embark on a new five year mission, to boldly go... Cant wait fo the next movie!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'll keep this short. Know this going in: I'm an avid Trekkie who loves all of Star Trek excluding DS9 and Insurrection. I was a purist of canon and am no longer.

Star Trek is simply the best Star Trek film of all 11. There are only a few minor faults (coincidental encounters with various crew members and not enough Nero, but the comics covered that well).

Acting: 10/10 Top notch stuff
Plot/Story: 9/10
Direction: 10/10
Music: 10/10
Effects: 10/10
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Ensign

Loved it. That's about it!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneiko Katratze View Post
I´ve seen it...

The positive and the negative has already been posted by others.

What do I have to say?

My alltime favorite ST-character (Bones) made me goosepimples at his first appearence. Karl Urban was so f***ing good with his performance, his german voice was another thing. Can´t wait for the DVD to watch the original version.
Here, here!

Quote:
STXI is a true Trek-movie. And it´s canon, very canon! The alternate timeline perspective has gone, where no movie has gone before. I really could feel, what it means to be in a differend timeline, because I know and love the "old" Trek. There were Movies with alternate timelines outside of Star Trek, but these Movies did not have this background. There has never been a world to be chanched with decades of mainly good storytelling to back it up. This works only with Star Trek, and only with this movie. This was my strongest feeling after leaving the theatre.
Agreed. I love time travel sci-fi in general, my all time favorite (apart from Trek) is "The Final Countdown". It made perfect sense with these people still exist and share their original destinies but have to take different roads to get there.
Time Line Aside

Quote:
But there were three things I really disliked:

1: The shaky camera. I can´t understand the reason behind this.
This trend in TV shows, commercials and all things video drives me nuts. That said, I didn't think it was overdone here.
[/quote]

Quote:
2: The icemonster.
I loved it for no other reason than my wife came plumb out of her seat.

Quote:
3: Chekov. But this can be better next time.

Go and watch it, it´s a great experience! It´s much mor than just fun...
Here we could enter into a debate about what is overdone and what is characterization. Chekov was always an over the top character and in this movie, his endearing quality of technical wizardry while still being tentative and new.

They crammed a whole lot of story into two hours. Very, very good.
I Thess 5:21

"There is an old Vulcan saying, only Nixon could go to China." - Spock

"Space is disease and danger, wrapped up in darkness and silence." - Leonard McCoy
Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Ensign

Plot: Well thought out and plays very well, also I liked the fact that the villain was not 2D. Yeah he is the bad guy, but you understand why he does what he does, and even synthesize with him. The only problem I have with the plot is something that happens at the end; which I feel just happened to quickly; you’ll know what I mean when you see it.

Characters: Despite the differences inherent of an alternate timeline, the characters are still true to themselves, and the actors who played them did a wonderful job.

Music: The music had a very Star Trek feel, more so the movies than the shows, and of course the music over the ending credits got to my inner dork.

Ship & Sets: The ships looked great, especially the Enterprise. And the sets really gave you a feel for just how big the ships really are. Though I do wonder, why did they have to completely redesign everything. I think the Enterprise should have looked more like what was seen in the Original series and the movies, primarily the nacelles. As for the bridge, it felt like technology threw up, there was just too much going on, and way too white.

Overall I think it was a great movie, my complaints are mostly ecstatic, and I would be very interested in see how these versions of the characters develop in this new reality.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
Plot: Well thought out and plays very well, also I liked the fact that the villain was not 2D. Yeah he is the bad guy, but you understand why he does what he does, and even synthesize with him. The only problem I have with the plot is something that happens at the end; which I feel just happened to quickly; you’ll know what I mean when you see it.

Characters: Despite the differences inherent of an alternate timeline, the characters are still true to themselves, and the actors who played them did a wonderful job.

Music: The music had a very Star Trek feel, more so the movies than the shows, and of course the music over the ending credits got to my inner dork.

Ship & Sets: The ships looked great, especially the Enterprise. And the sets really gave you a feel for just how big the ships really are. Though I do wonder, why did they have to completely redesign everything. I think the Enterprise should have looked more like what was seen in the Original series and the movies, primarily the nacelles. As for the bridge, it felt like technology threw up, there was just too much going on, and way too white.

Overall I think it was a great movie, my complaints are mostly ecstatic, and I would be very interested in see how these versions of the characters develop in this new reality.
That's really hard to read...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
That's really hard to read...
Yeah I realized that as soon as I posted it, it's changed now.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Ensign

I have seen it...

IT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm old enough to remember the original series on TV which is where I fell in love with the series, and have seen every episode of every series since then, and this was just BRILLIANT!!

Heaps of fun, heaps of laughs, heaps of action. It was what the later movies were lacking - that sense of energy and excitement as they got bogged down in their endless complicated back stories and the Trek "Canon"

This is just frssh and new while remaining familiar to the original series and characters. My prediction for ST: XII...? They again muck around with a timeline and get Vulcan back in one piece and reset the 'real' timeline perhaps...?

Anyway - go see the movie

cheers
Sean
Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Midshipman

This post was one wrong page sorry:-)

Last edited by Sentinel99 : 05-10-2009 at 02:45 AM.