The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
What happened to 'I may catch it late at night, on itunes at some point if budget allows'?
Jeez, they ***** if I make predictions without watching it, then they gloat if I go watch it. I should've saved my $12.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Jeez, they ***** if I make predictions without watching it, then they gloat if I go watch it. I should've saved my $12.
Oh, I can hardly resist - you said it often enough then lo and behold, opening weekend there you are!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Midshipman

Hi All.

Have got back from watching the movie tonight at the Birmingham Imax in the UK.
Firstly ALL showings from Fri and Sat were SOLD OUT (4 showings per day!). I managed to get into the 7pm one.
WOW! What a movie and I was stunned. I have been a fan of the Trek since I was 5 in 1973 during BBC 2 reruns of TOS and since then through TAS, TNG, Voy, DS9, Ent and all the movies. Star Trek was dying since Nemesis (which I liked but wasn't the best) and I personally thought this opened up the series to much more possibilities and left the Prime universe intact. I can love all the history of Prime and now enjoy and look foward to the new adventures and the twists this will have.
I hear some fans feel that this does not feel like Star Trek. Well it won't because of the different timeline but it is Star Trek. The characters have just formed and will still need time to gel. The characters which we met in Prime timeline were already a unit and already on the Enterprise from the first episode aired The Man Trap.
Also I have no probs with the designs of the ships or the interiors. The Prime Enterprise from TOS had analogue clocks with revolving dials as shown in a few episodes plus had manual switches and push buttons etc so having a manual acceleration handle had no probs for me, unless you really wanted to see 60's technology and design in the film and lose all credibilty (and didn't TMP have a manual acceleration handle on the helm console used just before the wormhole affect). As an engineer myself the natural look of engineering felt right.
The plot itself was well handled and for the most part well explained. For example I have read on the forum about why Nero waited 25 years to start his revenge. Well as explained in the film he went into the singularity first and Prime Spock 2-3 seconds latter. Nero appeared where the film begins but at that time didn't have the red matter to cause the singularities. That was aboard the Jellyfish. So Nero went back every year at the coordiantes and time that he arrived so he could capture the Jellyfish. It took 25 years for it to appear. He captures it then uses the red matter for his plans against Vulcan etc.
Also I have no probs with Vulcan getting destroyed. Different timeline different consequences.
What we have to appreciate also is that we must differentiate between box office and TV series. What works on one media seldom transfers completely to the other. For example I loved Insurrection as this was like an extended episode for film that had many Star Trek elements but wasn't well received because of that. Whereas STII and VI and VII were succesful because it had elements this film had eg action.
There were some aspects that were cons as such eg lens flare, shaky cameras but these are minor quibbles in what I thought did what it had to do. Re-establish Trek to a new fan base while keeping most of the old fan base as best they could and bring in the pounds to keep on Trekking. A very thin tight rope to walk and one I feel was done quite expertly.

Rating 9/10.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I should've saved my $12.
If you thoughts are it was a C- then probably!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Midshipman

I thought you were talking about my 3 ex-wives.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

When I saw the title of this thread I thought Magnum had started it!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerdoc View Post
I thought you were talking about my 3 ex-wives.
It's ok, we'll just call you 'Bones' then.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

You certainly know how to grab someone's attention... I was all ready to call you a troll.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Wow, you are one angry, negative, nerd.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
You certainly know how to grab someone's attention... I was all ready to call you a troll.
Hmmmm.......troll may be wife #4.

Scotty