The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Narada Appreciation Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Midshipman

Thumbs up Narada Appreciation Thread

Who else thinks the Narada is one of the coolest, most underrated ships in recent Star Trek history? A freaking gargantuan, Borg-powered, Romulan hybrid with planet-killing power! Not only did it take out 40+! Klingon Birds of Prey without breaking a sweat, but it completely obliterated any Federation vessels thrown at it...24th and 23rd centuries combined!

My only complaint: not enough about this awesome ship is actually known. Even the official dossier on the site lists nearly all technical specifications as "unknown", and simply calls it a Romulan Mining ship. We know this is not exactly the case.

What we do know from the official Countdown comics series:
  • The ship was retrofitted using Borg nanotechnology. This in itself is immediately fascinating to fans.
  • Self-repairing nanotechnology anticipates and adapts systems to threats, just like Borg Cubes and drones. The ship evolves and learns.
  • Borg technology gives it superior warp, cloaking, and sensor abilities.
  • The ship was literally 'grown' over Nero's original Narada mining vessel, a much smaller, primitive ship with little to no weaponry.
  • The Narada was an experimental prototype. If successful, the Romulans of the 24th century would modify their existing fleet to use this technology, becoming virtually unstoppable.
  • It is called "the most advanced weapons system in the galaxy".
And that's literally all we know. Am I the only one who thinks we should have more information on the weapon systems and inner workings of such an awesomely conceived ship? I'm hoping future books based on the movie will shed further light on what will possibly be a returning craft in the new Star Trek franchise.

Post anything you find here! Thanks.

Last edited by Zeal : 05-08-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

What if the Borg technology returns to the original programs? Assimilate the Romulans and contact the collective

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Midshipman

I think it looked like one of the bad guy ships on the old TV series Babylon 5.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I loved the Narada. As a mining ship, it really looks like it could cause some damage to a moon or asteroid (or a fleet of starships).

I didn't read the countdown series. Who wrote it? Can it be considered official or "canon"? The movie didn't say anything about the Borg and I'd preferred that they didn't have anything to do with it.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
I loved the Narada. As a mining ship, it really looks like it could cause some damage to a moon or asteroid (or a fleet of starships).

I didn't read the countdown series. Who wrote it? Can it be considered official or "canon"? The movie didn't say anything about the Borg and I'd preferred that they didn't have anything to do with it.

The comics are official and Canon (only if you consider the movie canon) It was co-written with the help of Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman. (the writers of the new movie)

I suggest everyone reads it its very good, and the Borg Technology thing is different then you think.

Last edited by Skriptures17 : 05-09-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Is it just me or did anyone else think the back of the Narada should be the front and vice-versa? I know there's no need for being aerodynamic in space, but I just thought it looked more natural with the long strands and cables going back rather than forward?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Commander

It's basically a Romulanised equivalent of a Borg Cube. Nothing natural about it.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I can see the point, perhaps its supposed to look so foreign and alien that the front is the back etc, I was just hoping it would be facing the other direction. Whatever though, its not like I really care.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Ensign

Comics and books are not canon, but as he movie is an alternate timeline and Countdown is needed to understand the story so it is. IT IS THE ONLY CANON COMIC. The same canon laws apply to this third alternate timeline too.

I like the Narada aswell. It was about time Romulus gained it's own, "Doomsday Device". The Fedeartion got the Voyager Endgame technology so I thinks it's only fair.
I would have thought they would have used an old Class B Warbird (TNG) and that it would look less squid like. If they used the old warbirds they could quickly have a fleet of Narada class ships to go with the Scimitars, Kerchan and Valdore classes.

But growing as it learns? That is stupid, the Narada would get too big, Borg nanoprobe technology does not grow. As for them returning tot heir borg progamming that is unlikely as the Voyager EMH managed to reprogramme them hundreds of time during Voyagers last 4 seasons.

Last edited by The Forge : 05-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forge View Post
But growing as it learns? That is stupid, the Narada would get too big, Borg nanoprobe technology does not grow. As for them returning tot heir borg progamming that is unlikely as the Voyager EMH managed to reprogramme them hundreds of time during Voyagers last 4 seasons.
Didn't the Narada gobble up debris of the ships it blew up in the comic? Presumably that helped its growth along a bit.