The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Willy Wonka View Post
I particularly loved finding out how Dr. McCoy got the nickname "Bones".
You didn't really get to see where he got his nickname; you got to see how his alternate universe counterpart got his.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Ensign

I am actually talking about Chris Pine to me he looks more like he's 22 and having him run around all over the place, doing comedic relief didn't help. He looks and acts a little to immature to be Kirk in my opinion. The last scene on the bridge when he's in his bronze shirt finalized that opinion for me.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlarJotunn View Post
You didn't really get to see where he got his nickname; you got to see how his alternate universe counterpart got his.
Ahh, but DC Fontana wrote an episode which established McCoy was once married, divorced and had a daughter. The story was severely rewritten and this element was dropped from the story.

Is it officially canon then? No. But apparently it was the intention for McCoy to have been divorced even while TOS was in production. Without evidence to the contrary, I'd buy it that Bones got the short end in a divorce the first time around too.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lizard View Post
I am actually talking about Chris Pine to me he looks more like he's 22 and having him run around all over the place, doing comedic relief didn't help. He looks and acts a little to immature to be Kirk in my opinion. The last scene on the bridge when he's in his bronze shirt finalized that opinion for me.
Could be, but he's not the same-age Kirk we first saw in TOS, so he should be less mature than we've known the character... he's younger. It also gives the writers and actor room for the character to grow in future stories, which is preferable to an unchanging portrait of a dynamic character.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lizard View Post
Yeah, I know. I still think he looks 28 like he's supposed to and he seemed like a perfect young Kirk to me, comedy and all. If you watch the interviews with him, that just seems to be his natural personality. Playful and cheery. I find it quite endearing, tbh, and I like that he incorporated it into the character of Kirk because...

Kirk still has some growing to do and he's not going to behave exactly like his older, more mature self. Kirk Prime always had great comedic timing, it was just more subdued, which is to be expected because in the Prime timeline, he was older and had more experience. In this timeline, he's only just got his ship and he got it a few years earlier than he was supposed to and with a bit less experience under his belt. I imagine that the pressure of command isn't quite so weighty yet, since he's just starting out with his crew and hasn't really been in command of anything prior to the Nero business, so it makes sense that he's going to behave in a more light-hearted fashion. I don't expect him to be quite as serious and mature as Kirk Prime yet (since Nimoy!Spock is Spock Prime, I figure I might as well stick Prime after the other characters' names too).

I personally hope that Chris Pine keeps Kirk's youthful, playful cheekiness at a significant level even as Kirk grows in maturity, as I think it's an important characteristic of this particular portrayal of Kirk.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Ensign

Default What I think Of Star Trek The Movie

Hi Everyone ,since every other person have gave there two cents of the movie I will also.
I am a die hard trek fan I seen every Movie and all the shows in the Trek Universe. I Think the Movie was ok ,not good or bad ,just ok .People just have to say this a Second Trek Universe. It should never be a total reboot . The old Star Trek Universe Should not been treated like it was replace by the JJ Abrams Universe .It would not be right to all who have gave there life work to Star Trek for years.

ENT,OST,STNG, DS9 AND VOYAGER Are Still alive in the old star trek universe as we all know them to be.

Will Abrams go beyond Kirk and crew or keep his Universe Stuck in time only time will tell.

I Just wish Abrams do it ,in another way .He could have made trek movie that gave him freedom to add his details with out Making another Universe or changing the time line. He could of gave St a rebirth in another time like in the year 2500, A new crew and new story lines .To think star treks future is in its past is crazy..

Star Trek Has Never Been about Just Kirk and Crew . It has always grown to new areas for lots of fan types.

I just hope they can Bring back star Trek with the old time line that made it great on T.V. and they could keep the Abrams Universe in the threaters . That may work to make almost every one happy New and old Fans.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Midshipman

Default My opinion of the movie

I really liked the movie, but I was VERY disappointed with the end. It can be salvaged if they do something in another movie about it. The way I see it, they didn't really create an "alternate universe," they created a paradox. If you read the comic prequel Countdown, it looks like it's all part of the same universe and reality to me. Romulus gets destroyed by the supernova after Spock was supposed to help save it (but was unable to for not fault of his own), Nero wants revenge, Spock manages to create the singularity/black hole to save Vulcan in the future, and Nero tries to intercept him right about then and Nero gets sucked into it, followed by Spock. They're sucked into the past, thereby changing the past. To me, it doesn't look like a different past, at least not until Nero changes it. But Nero changing it doesn't make it an alternate reality, the past is still changed, which means in order to preserve the Star Trek future we know, that has to be fixed.

Here's what I thought was going to happen (and wish would have happened):

Young Spock creates a singularity/black hole (but not by ramming the ship into Nero's ship, because they would still need this ship), they fire upon Nero and his ship is destroyed as it gets sucked in. They then try to escape, but get sucked in as well, also traveling through time, like Spock and Nero had, but this time, into the future, at a time and place near when the Hobus star goes nova. They create another singularity/black hole to prevent the destruction of Romulus, and get sucked in that. After they're sucked in that, none of it ever happened, there's no need to show them coming out anywhere. You would then end the movie by showing everyone where they were then, how their life changed. Starting showing Nero with his wife and baby, happy and not a villain. Then various crew members at the academy, Uhura, at a respectful distance from Spock, never having a relationship because the disaster at Vulcan never introduced it. Chekov, a bright young cadet, still a while from going on the Enterprise (because he wasn't on the Enterprise until later in the series, and was only on it in this movie because they had to call up the cadets due to Vulcan's distress call). Scotty, maybe getting off the ice planet because Archer's beagle showed up and heading back to the academy (wouldn't have to be this, just a little bit of everybody). And ending with Kirk and his dad, still alive. I think this would have tied everything in very nicely, fitting everything with the original series and the Star Trek history we know.

I really hope that they do another movie and save Vulcan, or do something to tie up the loose ends in this, because I'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if they don't. Everything else about the movie was great, but this story issue... keeping everything canonical in Star Trek is too important. It could still be resolved, but it sure better be. Otherwise every other positive aspect of the movie is destroyed by them screwing over the story.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I very much doubt that was the case. Playmates toys didn't get the license until production of the movie was well underway. Playmates did phaser toys for every series and movie except ENT and Nemesis (back when they held the Trek license in the 90s) and aside from scaling them to be held by kids, they were pretty close to the actual props.

I think it was more of a case of the production designer/art director wanting to design a phaser prop that had moving and light-up components and Playmates just tried to do as accurate a toy based on that as possible.
Why are some fans such apologists for the big corporations?

So naive.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, Eleminty, the old Vulcan is gone in this timeline and I don't see how they could reverse that.

But a new Vulcan will arise, as directly stated in the finale. The planet may be gone, but Vulcans are not, which is the more important part.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Do you really think though that the characters were not as important as the events and moral implications?
I wouldn't say not as important. I would say as important. I would say you can't have a true Trek without either.