The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
His post was NOT directed toward me. He did clearly make some statements questioning someone's fan status.
Ah yes, I see now.
Maybe we all need to apply a bit of discretion in what we say, so far as if we don't like what others say then we shouldn't respond to it. We can't police opinions.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Neither is "real fan, fake fan" BS. We are all fans, why else would we be here?
To promote the film for Paramount?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

I Saw It!!!!!!!!!!

It's good.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Ensign

Well....

I've just returned from the Imax in Glasgow.

Two words: Absolutely Awesome

I'm a Star Trek fan, thats for damn sure. But I went to see this film with the mindset that this is a new take on an old idea. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm so buzzed, I'm just gonna blurt stuff out:

I loved how they wrote the old Spock into the story, much better than Worf just being on the Enterprise in Nemesis! I also like how the old Spock does not have a simple 20 second cameo then disappears.

The Enterprise. Well, I've not liked the new design since the get go. But to be honest, you don't really take all that much notice. It simply fits in with the film. Yeah, its not "canon" as some fans will say. But frankly I don't give a rats ***. It's perfect for this new Trek.

JJs camera flares and unsteady camera work did get a little annoying though. But I'm not going to let that detract from the film.
The way he filmed all the action scenes led to a lot of intense moments, lots of motion blur and lots of noise. But it was good.

The found the story was excellent, script writing was brilliant. Scotty was VERY Scottish and excellent comic relief at just the right time.
I liked how the film started with a bang and kept going.
I really got a sense for the fear the Kelvin crew would have felt, seeing that huge thing appear, dwarfing them and outgunning them so much it was hopeless to fight back. They were on their own and facing certain death. I felt all of that.

I also liked how they kept the characters very close to the ones we all know and love, with a pinch of artistic license to bring them up to date and fit in with this new film.

The sets were awesome. They really set the scenes well. Engineering is like a lot of people not familiar with Trek would possibly expect. Pipes and lots of metal. None of this uber spartan, carpetted hotel lobby like space we, the fans, are used to. Engineering is quite frankly, how I thought it should always have been. Like Cruise ships of today, up top its all wood, glass, neon lighting and carpets and arcades. Down below its pipes, railings, cat walks, non slip flooring, oil, dirt, grease and noise.
The Engineering of the Kelvin and Enterprise follow this.

Theres so much to say, but I will not go on.

Suffice to say, I like this film. OK, its thrown the Trek we knew out of the airlock. But I'm wondering if that is not such a bad thing. The Trek we knew is dead. It was stagnating. It was going no where. Another film in the old format will have simply bombed.
This film, bring a fresh breath of air to Trek. It allows anyone to watch it and be able to follow it. The in jokes referring to an event in a previous film or a series episode that only fans got, are gone. This opens up the film to everyone and anyone. You do not need to have a background knowledge of Trek to enjoy this film. And that, I believe is the most crucial aspect of the film.

Huge thumb up from this die hard Trek fan.

My Blog: http://lcarsgfx.wordpress.com
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

In which the reviewer positions himself

I'm a TOS fan. In my humble opinion, TOS was the best of the Trek series. Granted it had some really horrible episodes; but when it was at its best, it was far and away the best of the Trek incarnations. TNG occasionally scaled the heights; DS9 and Voyager hardly at all (to the limited extent that I bothered watching them), and Enterprise once in a while (again, based on a limited amount of viewing).

So what made TOS better in my opinion than the others? I think it was the archetypal nature of the characters and the fact that they were human and made errors and genuinely cared about each other despite surface friction; and, the quality of the stories which unflinchingly looked at (to the extent permitted by 1960s television) their stories and issues therein. By contrast the other series didn't have this dynamic; everyone got along too well; Roddenberry's plot device that Picard was never wrong, the tendency to wrap up apparently insoluble problems in the last 5 minutes with a nice neat bow tie, detracted from TNG, DS9, etc.

Also, TOS had severe budgetary restraints, and was constantly fighting for survival. The result was akin to a "golden age" of creativity; whereas TNG and later incarnations had built-in audiences, built-in large budgets and built-in high levels of acceptance with studio and network execs. The result was a tendency to relax and take it easy.

The review

I was, frankly, astonished, in a positive way. From the trailers, I expected a movie that was all action and none of the social relevancy or other themes that mark Trek at its best. That's what I got, for the most part, but it was still a good movie.

There were many moments when I enjoyed the little easter eggs the creators had put in; there were many moments when I was amazed at the scope of the story. This Trek universe, going forward (Abrams has signed a contract for 3 movies) could be very interesting.

But there was something lacking...I had a hard time putting a finger on it, until I had some time to think about it. But I remember thinking during the climactic sequence that I just wasn't engaged in the outcome. I didn't feel anything for these characters. I had a more intense reaction watching the male polar bear attack the walruses in "Earth".

And I think the reason is that the characters have suffered a little bit in this story. The original Star Trek Outline described the characters in very human terms, as flawed individuals who can be frightened, hamstrung by doubt, etc.

Yet you see none of this in Star Trek (2009). Kirk in particular never seems to have any doubt about his abilities - he just charges ahead and trusts that he will be able to improvise a way out of any situation. He never questions what he is doing, whether he's right or wrong. The burden of command sits lightly on his shoulders.

Spock, of all the characters is probably closest to the original in his agonies and conflicts.

McCoy, Scott, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov are all given little to do other than recite their lines and support the plot.

All the actors do their jobs well - in the case of Karl Urban, incredibly so. While Zachary Quinto might look like a clone of Leonard Nimoy, Urban evidently had DeForest Kelley's vocal cords transplanted...

Final thoughts

Star Trek (2009) is a rock 'em, sock 'em action movie, and is very enjoyable. Is it Star Trek? Yes - all incarnations of Trek have had their share of pure action stories. Can it be better? Yes, it could, and mostly by making the main characters more engaging and human.

Overall score...3 out of 5.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integritas View Post
Based on your formulamatic writing, I don't even think you are a fan.
Actually, I've been a fan since I first saw TOS when I was a little girl. My favorite series, however is TNG. I occasionally watched Voyager, DS9 & Enterprise, but never really got into them.

I'm not affiliated with Paramount in any way, shape, or form...unless Paramount has suddenly taken over the tow truck company I dispatch for without me knowing. If they have, does that mean free tickets? whoohoo!

Quote:
Except for the very beginning, this movie was completely lacking in the honor, integrity, and BELIEVABILITY of the original Star Trek.
That's your opinion. You're free to share it...just like I'm free to share mine, even if you don't agree with it.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701D View Post
Well....

I've just returned from the Imax in Glasgow.

Two words: Absolutely Awesome

I'm a Star Trek fan, thats for damn sure. But I went to see this film with the mindset that this is a new take on an old idea. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm so buzzed, I'm just gonna blurt stuff out:

I loved how they wrote the old Spock into the story, much better than Worf just being on the Enterprise in Nemesis! I also like how the old Spock does not have a simple 20 second cameo then disappears.

The Enterprise. Well, I've not liked the new design since the get go. But to be honest, you don't really take all that much notice. It simply fits in with the film. Yeah, its not "canon" as some fans will say. But frankly I don't give a rats ***. It's perfect for this new Trek.

JJs camera flares and unsteady camera work did get a little annoying though. But I'm not going to let that detract from the film.
The way he filmed all the action scenes led to a lot of intense moments, lots of motion blur and lots of noise. But it was good.

The found the story was excellent, script writing was brilliant. Scotty was VERY Scottish and excellent comic relief at just the right time.
I liked how the film started with a bang and kept going.
I really got a sense for the fear the Kelvin crew would have felt, seeing that huge thing appear, dwarfing them and outgunning them so much it was hopeless to fight back. They were on their own and facing certain death. I felt all of that.

I also liked how they kept the characters very close to the ones we all know and love, with a pinch of artistic license to bring them up to date and fit in with this new film.

The sets were awesome. They really set the scenes well. Engineering is like a lot of people not familiar with Trek would possibly expect. Pipes and lots of metal. None of this uber spartan, carpetted hotel lobby like space we, the fans, are used to. Engineering is quite frankly, how I thought it should always have been. Like Cruise ships of today, up top its all wood, glass, neon lighting and carpets and arcades. Down below its pipes, railings, cat walks, non slip flooring, oil, dirt, grease and noise.
The Engineering of the Kelvin and Enterprise follow this.

Theres so much to say, but I will not go on.

Suffice to say, I like this film. OK, its thrown the Trek we knew out of the airlock. But I'm wondering if that is not such a bad thing. The Trek we knew is dead. It was stagnating. It was going no where. Another film in the old format will have simply bombed.
This film, bring a fresh breath of air to Trek. It allows anyone to watch it and be able to follow it. The in jokes referring to an event in a previous film or a series episode that only fans got, are gone. This opens up the film to everyone and anyone. You do not need to have a background knowledge of Trek to enjoy this film. And that, I believe is the most crucial aspect of the film.

Huge thumb up from this die hard Trek fan.

The ship did seem to become a non factor no matter if you liked it or not.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I tried to be honest and unemotional
BTW, people were laughing at the right moments and there was applause when Nimoy appeared - and again when the credits began!
I found it heartbreaking that Spock(Nemoy) had to see what he saw on DV.

I think you also questioned the relevance of Delta Vega? Remember the quick set up they gave while the main characters were on the bridge?
But, it is good to see that even with Neros involvement, somethings were just "meant to be".

BTW... was your version in English or dubbed in to German?

Last edited by sir num nums : 05-08-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Bleh... followed wrong link.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Ensign

I just got back from the theater couple of hours ago... AND THE MOVIE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Caution, this is the SPOILER FREE thread!
Update: Thanks for correcting it

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Last edited by NCC-73515 : 05-08-2009 at 06:04 PM.