The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > It was excellent, but "BIG SPOILER"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default It was excellent, but "BIG SPOILER"

I liked almost all of it, and if you are reading this you probably already know the movie.
What did you think of the Uhura - Spock thing, it just didn't work for me.
I was cringing when they were saying goodbye in the transporter chamber before Kirk and Spock beamed over.
Everything flowed, but that didn't feel right.
I realize they didn't have time to fill in the back story to how they met, but it seemed a big jump to me.
Anyone else think one way or the other?

The movie really rocked at almost every point.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I also wasn't a fan- I don't even think it was that important to the plot/movie and could have been avoided.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I wanted some surprises and this was one of them. I didn't mind it a bit. After all Spock is half human and has to deal with his emotions including being attracted to a beautiful woman who has an interest in him.

I have a feeling they might develop more of the back story about that relationship in the next film.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yes, I agree it wasn't needed, unless they use it more in future movies.
I really hope they don't.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Commander

I was actually OK with it, which is surprising because I thought it would bother me. I posted a screed against it on my Live Journal, in fact. LOL I'm eating my words, I suppose.

I actually thought it enhanced those particular scenes and I can see what Zach Quinto was saying about Uhura being used to express emotions that Spock couldn't.

I hate to admit this but in that respect, I liked it because it worked in the context of the story.

GAH! I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST ADMITTED TO THAT.

I'm still not a fan of Spock/Uhura but I can live with it.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I was actually OK with it, which is surprising because I thought it would bother me. I posted a screed against it on my Live Journal, in fact. LOL I'm eating my words, I suppose.

I actually thought it enhanced those particular scenes and I can see what Zach Quinto was saying about Uhura being used to express emotions that Spock couldn't.

I hate to admit this but in that respect, I liked it because it worked in the context of the story.

GAH! I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST ADMITTED TO THAT.

I'm still not a fan of Spock/Uhura but I can live with it.
I guess it will fill out the character of Uhura better...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer00jay View Post
I guess it will fill out the character of Uhura better...
Indeed. It would be interesting to find out how they met. I don't see it as such a huge leap, though. I mean instructors and whatnot have teaching assistants and that sort of thing. I could see the relationship developing from a situation such as that.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I haven't seen it yet, but I knew about this. I think it can be supported as "canon". You need to look at a couple of episodes.

1 )The Man Trap

You can see it at HULU here:
http://www.cbs.com/hd/video.php?cid=...set=0&show=all

The scene starts at 10:33 in the show. Uhura blatantly flirts with Spock.
SPOCK: Miss Uhura, your last sub-space log contained an error in the frequencies column.
UHURA: Mister Spock, sometimes I think if I hear that word frequency once more, I'll cry.
SPOCK: Cry?
UHURA: I was just trying to start a conversation.
SPOCK: Well, since it is illogical for a communications officer to resent the word frequency, I have no answer.
UHURA: No, you have an answer. I'm an illogical woman who's beginning to feel too much a part of that communications console. Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady, or ask me if I've ever been in love? Tell me how your planet Vulcan looks on a lazy evening when the moon is full.
This is on duty, on the bridge, in front of the rest of the bridge crew, but he does not reprimand her. Then, a message comes from the transporter room that the landing party is beaming up and reports one death.
SPOCK: Bridge acknowledging.
UHURA: I don't believe it.
SPOCK: Explain.
UHURA: You explain. That means that somebody is dead and you just sit there. It could be Captain Kirk. He's the closest thing you have to a friend.
That’s insubordination, isn’t it? Certainly “He’s the closest thing you have to a friend” is hurtful and personal. Yet, he does not reprimand her. Minimally, he is letting her behave in an entirely unprofessional manner with no consequences.

2) Charlie X

Again, on HULU

http://www.cbs.com/classics/star_tre...aBPpzEUsW0mcR2

The scene starts at about 9:58 in the show. Uhura is singing a song while Spock plays his harp (or lyre or whatever you want to call that thing).

Oh, on the starship Enterprise There's someone who's in Satan's guise Whose devil ears and devil eyes Could rip your heart from you. At first, his look could hypnotise And then his touch would barbarise His alien love could victimise And rip your heart from you. And that's why female astronauts, Oh, very female astronauts Wait terrified and overwrought To find what he will do. Oh, girls in space, be wary, be wary, be wary, Girls in space, be wary. We know not what he'll do.
His look? His touch? His “alien love”? Isn’t this beyond personal?

I realize that one can pick out "moments" and discover a "possible relationship" between any number of "couples"....but at least the Uhura thing isn't out of the blue.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer00jay View Post
Anyone else think one way or the other?
And the real difference between that and Leila Kalomi is?
Other than different times, but similar circumstances and a slightly different outcome.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

I thought it worked perfectly....especially to the point where Spock learns Uhura's first name before Kirk does....the brief exchange that ensues afterwards almost made me PMSL.