The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Captain

Oh my! What a movie! I am so pumped, I don't know what to do. If my neck/back would just let me, I would go back right now and watch it again. My wife, whom I have turned against Star Trek because she has put up with so much of me watching it, says this movie is her favorite! She wants to see it again. I don't have anything bad to say. Chekov unnerved me a little, but not enough to dislike him. Every character hit it dead on! I do hope the "romance" is concluded by the time Star Trek XII rolls around. Oh man, 2 more years till then!!! We have alot to talk about!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I just came back from seeing it for the first time, gotta go again because I know there's a few details I missed out on (the main one being the Tribble). Right now I'm too tired to do a full-on review but I can tell you one thing:

Best. Trek. Movie. Ever.

Forget TWOK as number one because it just pales in comparison to this one. Seriously.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Captain

I GOTTA GO! GOTTA GO! GOTTA GO!!!!
Can't wait until tomorrow night!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well many of you guys know I predicted this would be a terrible movie- from the scenes and previews they showed it looked like it would be all action, throw everything you know about star trek out the window, no plot, interaction, etc...

I was very pleasently surprised- much of this movie can fit well into the universe, like most trek movies impossible situations are little too easily solved with some technical feat that will never be repeated even though it seems so easy... without giving it away take for example ST:IV and Time Travel- an old Klingon ship and a recently reborn spock can travel through time at will but aparently neither the Klingons nor federation ever use the technology again. Whatever- we are used to this.

I agree the McCoy character was the best played of them all... Spock and Kirk tied for 2nd, Sulu a strong 3rd... Chekov... well- a little too goofy IMO but not bad... Unfortunately, Scotty, who should probably have had the most dignity of all was almost painful to watch... Luckily he doesn't have many lines. His back story is one of the weakest points of the movie.

That said, overall, I really liked it... the person I was with who knew of star trek but never really saw star trek also really liked it though I doubt she could have picked up on most of the throwbacks/references- although she knew McCoy would eventually say "I'm a doctor not a -----"

I could write a hundred pages on improvements, of course, but it was also far better then I hoped. There is a plot, there is trek canon, and it's 'good enough' to stand on its own.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Lieutenant

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

I knew Quinto's portrayal of Spock would be awesome, and I wasn't disappointed Urban did an incredible job, and I can't even begin to describe how hilariously awesome Pegg was in the role. The one role, however, I did question, was Pine as Kirk... rest assured he does an absolutely fabulous job of this role.

now, on the action factor, it was incredible, however, there were some very slight and small things I had, such as compromising the story for action, and quick scenes... maybe it's just because I'm a classic Trek fan, and happen to like the drawn out dialogue and long fight scenes, but that doesn't hearken at all what I saw tonight... everything was breathtaking, awe-inspiring and utterly beautiful, and it will be the exact same thing when I watch it again tomorrow.

10/10
Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I could write a hundred pages on improvements, of course, but it was also far better then I hoped. There is a plot, there is trek canon, and it's 'good enough' to stand on its own.
Nice! After all your concerns expressed here, glad to read you enjoyed it

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Commander

I just got back from the 7pm showing and decompressing a little bit afterwards and, I have to say, I *loved* this movie. I truly, truly did.

That's not to say I'm not in shock over some of the changes in the timeline but, all things considered, it was a great script and a great, great cast.

I can't wait for the next one.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
That's not to say I'm not in shock over some of the changes in the timeline but . . .
I think that's part of the point for making this film at all, and I believe one of its strengths.

Who would want to spend $150 million on a movie you could predict minute-by-minute in the theater as you watch?

There's a whole lotta shakin going on in TREK now -- challenge is good!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Martok2112's NO SPOIL review of STAR TREK 4.75/ 5

FILM: STAR TREK
DISTRIBUTOR: PARAMOUNT
DIRECTOR: J.J. ABRAMS
PRINCIPAL CAST: CHRIS PINE, ZACHARY QUINTO, ZOE SALDANA, KARL URBAN, BRUCE GREENWOOD, ERIC BANA, JOHN CHO, ANTON YELCHIN, SIMON PEGG, LEONARD NIMOY
MPAA RATING: PG-13 for SCI FI ACTION AND VIOLENCE, AND BRIEF SEXUAL CONTENT (reviewer's note: also brief mild language)
RUNTIME: 2hrs., 6mins.

Story: 4.5/5
Acting: 5/5
Sound: 5/5
Visuals: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 4/5
Big Screen Experience: 5/5
Scoring system:
Average: 4.75/ 5

MOVIES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: Any previous Star Trek film

DETAILS: Well, it looks like J.J. Abrams and his boys at Bad Robot have done it. Star Trek is officially, and quite satisfactorily rebooted for a new generation of fans, as well as fans of Trek come before.

This is sort of a how Kirk met everybody else story, and along with it is a great thrill ride.

I will admit, I wish there could've been just a bit more backstory to the main villain, one Romulan Captain Nero (played well by Eric Bana).

The story itself is very fast paced and starts off with an action sequence that actually had me almost in tears, given the nature of its resolution.

We are then treated to a quick backstory of James Tiberius Kirk, and Spock, and their troubled youth which will set the stage for their future exploits.

The movie moves along at a great clip, and never fails to entertain. Even at its slowest moments (of which there are very few) the movie holds your attention...especially with the presence of Leonard Nimoy. I do believe though that movie sometimes moved along just a little too quick. It was over before I knew it, and that's saying something for a movie with a 126 minute run time.

There are a few things that purists might say were wrong, and even my red flag got set off on occasion, but certainly not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the film. This is a complete reboot, yet there is some continuity/minor paradox that is logically handled for the story. While the characters stay true (largely) to their original iconic incarnations, these versions do have enough liberty to keep them fresh and interesting for today's audience. That is NOT saying that the characters are dumbed down. Refreshed does not mean that at all.

The visual effects of this film were stunning, as was the sound mix. My only minor gripe is that I wish they could've given the Enterprise just a wee bit more of a treatment from Star Trek The Motion Picture. As such, the introduction of the Enterprise felt just a tiny bit rushed. Again, such a minor complaint is hardly cause for me to completely dismiss the film. The lovely lady of the stars gets plenty of screentime, and she is worth watching every single second.

The story is tightly written, and is filled with action, humor, sadness, joy, defeat, and triumph, as well as the sense of wonder of a new beginning. There are plenty of nods for old Trek fans like myself, and they are certainly not going to be lost on potential new fans from this generation. Technobabble is kept to a minimum, but when it is used, it is used effectively.

The actors ALL turn in top notch performances. Zachary Quinto does an excellent job of straddling the emotional line inherent to Spock's half-breed nature. Chris Pine plays a fine, cocky, tongue in cheek Kirk that also has Kirk's better nature of command blossom out. Karl Urban as McCoy....I think DeForest Kelley would smile on him proudly. John Cho and Anton Yelchin do great respect to their roles, if also a bit tongue in cheek. Simon Pegg is hilarious as Scotty, but is also the miracle worker that we've come to know and love. A couple of self-surprised moments for the newcoming engineer really endear Scotty to the audience. Eric Bana's character, the Romulan Nero, almost has a feel of Shinzon from Nemesis....a little more fleshing out of the character's backstory would've been welcome, but Bana turns in a good, menacing performance. Zoe Saldana is very beautiful, and very charming as Uhura...and she is a character every bit as dignified and respectable as Nichelle Nichols' original version.

Some surprises in this movie, but none I will spoil. They are best experienced unspoiled, for the viewer to evaluate for themselves. As with all things in this movie, I found them refreshing.

This movie on all levels had a far more epic feel than any previous Star Trek film.

BOTTOM LINE: Go see Star Trek. It's a great reboot, and one that does far more respect for the original series than some of its premature detractors give it credit for.

Last edited by martok2112 : 05-07-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: To clarify this is NO SPOIL
Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Loved the movie....It was all trek...without the Berman/Braga feel...what i have wanted a long time. Acting was great, story was great. The only real complaint i have...is with the annoying audience clapping through the entire movie....give it a rest already...

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out

Last edited by Mister2 : 05-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.