The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > This is Not a True Star Trek Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Captain

As I have posted in other threads, if you don't watch the movie and then bash it, you are no better than people who used to burn books before you even read them. I remember an episode of The Waltons where some very ignorant people were having a book burning, and John Boy reached down to get a book and it was the Holy Bible "IN GERMAN"! So, if you make statements like the title of this thread, and you haven't bothered to WATCH THE MOVIE, you are no better than the book burners.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
As I have posted in other threads, if you don't watch the movie and then bash it, you are no better than people who used to burn books before you even read them. I remember an episode of The Waltons where some very ignorant people were having a book burning, and John Boy reached down to get a book and it was the Holy Bible "IN GERMAN"! So, if you make statements like the title of this thread, and you haven't bothered to WATCH THE MOVIE, you are no better than the book burners.

I'm sorry, but that's the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard--not liking a sci-fi movie, whether you've seen it or not, has nowhere near the implications of book burning.

No one is trying to stop anyone else from seeing the movie.

This comparison is irresponsible and offensive to real people who have been faced with real censorship.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
I'm sorry, but that's the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard--not liking a sci-fi movie, whether you've seen it or not, has nowhere near the implications of book burning.

No one is trying to stop anyone else from seeing the movie.

This comparison is irresponsible and offensive to real people who have been faced with real censorship.
Dude Chill...The man was only making a statement based off his opinion....there was nothing offensive about it and you are not really qualified to determine his ideals on censorship.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Dude Chill...The man was only making a statement based off his opinion....there was nothing offensive about it and you are not really qualified to determine his ideals on censorship.
Oh yes he does! He's some guy that teaches graduate students and stuff. He's superior.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
agreed!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
Oh yes he does! He's some guy that teaches graduate students and stuff. He's superior.
La De Freakin' Da! Last time I looked one of the greatest teachers of them all never rebuked someone for their opinions...All he was is a humble Jewish carpenter from Nazareth..talk about superior?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I just want this thread to go to page 5 on the thread list so badly. I'm not posting in here anymore.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Captain

I am very sorry if I offended you, but having someonee say don't go see a movie, don't spend your money on it, having not even seen it, and saying how awful it is,is very much like saying this book is awful, without even reading it! Don't make me get out my professors paddle Seriously, I thought we all had the right to post our opinions here, without haveing fear of being called out for it.

Last edited by Beetlescott : 05-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I am very sorry if I offended you, but having someonee say don't go see a movie, don't spend your money on it, having not even seen it, and saying how awful it is,is very much like saying this book is awful, without even reading it! Don't make me get out my professors paddle
No - it's a fair point!! Get it out your system!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
No - it's a fair point!! Get it out your system!
Thanks! *empties his system*