The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Trek Butterfly Effect.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Ensign

Saquist hit some good points...

Thinking about things... even PEOPLE could be radically different in a divergent timeline. In a divergent timeline Mom and Dad could have conceived you a day before or after they did in this timeline (even an hour or a minute) and a different sperm cell with it's own code could have impregnated mom's egg... different person. Or because of Nero's interference, McCoy's family could have moved from Georgia to New Jersey in the new timeline. Same person, different experiences, may never have gotten married and have a daughter named Joanna.

Starfleet changed in the "normal" timeline, like Saquist said... I never viewed the Fleet as military... just a bunch of explorers. In this new timeline, it looks like they become more military because of Nero (or maybe the Borg that were found in Enterprise... THERE'S a new timeline for you all!) earlier than they would have.

Uniforms would be different (slightly)... ship design... technology... and as mentioned even people could be slightly different (Uhura, Sulu), radically different (Scotty, Chekov and maybe Kirk) or not different at all (Spock, McCoy)

From the start I was looking at this as a parallel universe variation of the Trek I grew up with, so I am fine with the changes...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliott101 View Post
In a divergent timeline Mom and Dad could have conceived you a day before or after they did in this timeline (even an hour or a minute) and a different sperm cell with it's own code could have impregnated mom's egg... different person.
Mom could have had a headache.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Captain

Quote:

Thinking about things... even PEOPLE could be radically different in a divergent timeline. In a divergent timeline Mom and Dad could have conceived you a day before or after they did in this timeline (even an hour or a minute) and a different sperm cell with it's own code could have impregnated mom's egg... different person. Or because of Nero's interference, McCoy's family could have moved from Georgia to New Jersey in the new timeline. Same person, different experiences, may never have gotten married and have a daughter named Joanna.

Starfleet changed in the "normal" timeline, like Saquist said... I never viewed the Fleet as military... just a bunch of explorers. In this new timeline, it looks like they become more military because of Nero (or maybe the Borg that were found in Enterprise... THERE'S a new timeline for you all!) earlier than they would have.

Uniforms would be different (slightly)... ship design... technology... and as mentioned even people could be slightly different (Uhura, Sulu), radically different (Scotty, Chekov and maybe Kirk) or not different at all (Spock, McCoy)
And that's when you get this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcIm9EmgJ20
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
That's the reason I posited the theory of the Abramsverse being a completely separate alternate universe in and of itself. And that when Nero and Spock leave our timeline/universe, they actually travel to the Abramsverse. The Abramsverse is apparently about 99.9% identical to the original TOS universe with just a few exceptions. Delta Vega, Scotty, McCoy among them. That's my way of looking at this that makes me feel better about it.
Your theory has been proven very solid by the evidence, Zim. I'm glad it makes you feel better about the Abramsverse.

Trust me: such conditions do and will lead to some fascinating circumstances due to the similarities and ripple-effect changes within this universe.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Oh, man.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Your theory has been proven very solid by the evidence, Zim. I'm glad it makes you feel better about the Abramsverse.

Trust me: such conditions do and will lead to some fascinating circumstances due to the similarities and ripple-effect changes within this universe.
Branch theory.
It proposes that if a change in the time occurs by external interference that a new timeline is created from the same line allowing both timelines to exist. But since time and space are directly connected through universal motion that means that a whole universe is created instantly and spontaneously at that point without so much as a iota of energy to facilitate the creation. That's why this aspect of paralel universe's is strictly fictional.

Quote:

From the start I was looking at this as a parallel universe variation of the Trek I grew up with, so I am fine with the changes...
The curious thing about quantum physics is that certain reactions on that level can not only create different particles but can also create the original particles and the effect...can actually preceed the cause.

But according to relativity we can only travel through time in one direction.
I have some of my own theories using the idea of reciprocal courses and faster than light like in Star Trek The Voyage Home.