The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Yeah, no. The spoiler tags work just fine. You just have to be sharper than a sack of wet mice.

See?

Yeah, no. They've already been made. OUR timeline has not been altered, just the one you see onscreen. You can watch those eps/movies online if you don't already have the DVDs.

Once again, if you didn't get it the first time.

I am not a good coder so its no wonder I messed up the spoiler code Thanks for fixing it for me
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTrekFan View Post
Sorry Magnum, but with your predetermined bias (which you yourself admit), in the most respectful way possible, I can't take your review as seriously as I would like. I personally enjoyed the movie, and yes,

However, in response to your stating that Trek is dead, we can go back to the original Trek any time we want. Those things still happened, they just won't or will occur differently for the next generation of fans. I understand what you mean about wanting to have another Original Timeline movie, would be great to see a post Nemesis adventure for Picard and crew.

Personally for this movie, I may have mentioned it before, I'm looking at it as a sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths type scenario, key elements are still the same, but there's less baggage. Think of Superman in this instance, iconic character, been around since the 1930's, and has been through several reboots in the comic, each reboot changed something, in the 1930's, Superman could only leap and not fly, come the 1970s he could blow out stars and wasn't a newspaper reporter, he was a TV reporter, late 80s, complete reboot, now Lex Luthor wasn't a mad scientist but a business man, 2004, Clark's now a vegetarian (what happens to all the stories where he used his favorite Beef dish as a secret password?), there are small differences, big differences, but at the core, it's still the same.

I doubt that any of my rambling will change your mind, and that's ok. I just wanted to state my opinion as well.

I thought the movie was great and give it a solid 8 out of 10. There was room for improvement, but sequel wise, now that the crew's all set, they can jump straight into the story next time around. And if Gene Roddenberry's son says is a good movie, well, then I'm convinced that it was handled well.
Er should i mention that I hated Crisis also
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Lieutenant

Wow. Magnum didn't like it. Thats brand new information!!!!!!!!!!! NEATO!
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

The best part was that Kirk offers Nero a diplomatic solution!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonessential Personnel View Post
Let me first say that I am not a "purist". I love TOS and I have as much geek-technical knowledge about the TOS as anyone can have and I simply do not care about minor (or even major) variations from canon.

I do not care about the Enterprise being built on earth in Iowa, or about Vulcan being destroyed, or about the rushed backstories of the characters, or the look of the bridge etc. etc. Seriously, I don't give a damn.

But what I do care about are Kirk, Spock and McCoy and simply put, I felt that they went too far with the Spock-Uhura thing.

The scene in the elevator was great. You could feel the tension in Spock, the agony he was experiencing and see him struggle to control his expression of emotion for Uhura. I thought it was fantastic. But then they went too far.

The scene in the transporter room where Spock was happily smooching Uhura was ridiculous, imo. That's not Spock. That's just so far outside of the character of Spock that I've having trouble swallowing the whole thing. In fact, and I hate to say this, it's killing the entire movie for me. ARGH! I wanted to love it and I loved 90% of it but when this amazing character I have cared about for 20+ years acts so completely out of character it just kills me.

The worst part is that the scene in the transporter room didn't advance the story, it was just there to make the cheap joke of Kirk being thrown off and learning her first name. The point was made in the great turbolift scene, but the idea was ruined in the transporter scene.

Argh.

I haven't cared much about Star Trek in a long time and was soooooo psyched for this movie and I can't beleive how upset over this I have become. I'm actually emotional over it. Hey! Just like Spock!

[/comic book guy-esque rant]
I love Spock as much as you do, believe me. But consider this, This time is supposed to be very early in their lives, Spock smiled hugely on The Cage, and Menagerie. I think this early Spock was grappling with his human side here. How do we know that Spock/Uhrua didn't get it on originally? It will prolly be the next movie before Spock becomes fully logical and like the Spock we love!!!

Last edited by Beetlescott : 05-07-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Commander

Quote:
Ah sorry, forgot the tags
S'okay! I'm not one of those people who's like, "RAWR! RAGE!" if they're accidentally spoiled.

K, now I gotta go before I'm tempted to read any more spoilers. OMG I can't wait! Seven hours and twelve minutes!

*hurriedly scurries away from thread*
Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Er should i mention that I hated Crisis also
I need to understand something here. If you hate this movie so much, why do you spend so much time here? Looks like all these happy Trekkies being thrilled about and eleventh film, would make you sick. Just wondering.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I love Spock as much as you do, believe me. But consider this, This time is supposed to be very early in their lives, Spock smiled hugely on The Cage, and Menagerie. I think this early Spock was grapplingn with his human side here. How do we know that Spock/Uhrua didn't get it on originally? It will prolly be the next movie before Spock becomes fully logical and like the Spock we love!!!

I hear ya. But does this mean that he's not subject to Pon Farr etc? That he's farther detached from his Vulcanity than we've ever seen before?

I can understand him dealing with romantic emotions and attraction, but I just cannot believe that the character of Spock would sit there smooching a woman in front of a roomful of other people. It's just too utterly casual.

I have my doubts that they will take Spock in a more "logical" direction. Just don't give him a kid with Uhura or something ridiculous in future films.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonessential Personnel View Post
I hear ya. But does this mean that he's not subject to Pon Farr etc? That he's farther detached from his Vulcanity than we've ever seen before?

I can understand him dealing with romantic emotions and attraction, but I just cannot believe that the character of Spock would sit there smooching a woman in front of a roomful of other people. It's just too utterly casual.

I have my doubts that they will take Spock in a more "logical" direction. Just don't give him a kid with Uhura or something ridiculous in future films.
We can only hope he will become more logical with the next films. I agree, if they decide to keep Spock so er UnSpocklike, we will have a few problems.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Another hats off moments to the past series and movies:
  • Admiral Pike's uniform at the end of the movie. It was similar to the one Kirk wore as an Admiral in TMP if I remember correctly.
Admiral? He makes Admiral? In the canon timeline in the Menagerie Mendez said he was Fleet Captain. Greenwood did say over at trekmovie that he is open to returning for the sequel. Maybe he will send Kirk on the five year mission or does he do it at the end in this movie?