The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > SPOILER: Saw the new movie.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Midshipman

If this has been mentioned before I apologize and I have not seen the movie yet but I am a little confused why Nero would want Kirk dead at all. Why did he not simply destroy the Hobus star before it goes nova, or kill the families of the future Romulan Senate, or Spock.

What did Kirk or his family have to do with Nero and his mission of revenge?

Why would destroying Vulcan in the 23rd century help his people in the future?

I may better understand it after I see this alternate universe movie but based on what I have heard about this alternate universe movie they are calling Star Trek it will still not make sense.

As an aside if the movie is as good as I have heard why couldn't they simply have made a good movie that appeals to the fans and non fans alike and not have it take place in an alternate universe and involve the overused Time Travel plot complication (this worked for the Voyage Home but with time travel it would have worked with XI too if they would have given it a chance – I guess like engineers JJ loves to change things).

If rumors I have heard are true about the destruction of Vulcan (this really upsets me - oh god, please do not be true) I may come out of this movie enjoying it as a summer block buster but not as a Star Trek movie - I in fact may have to put it right up there with Final Frontier - Vulcan is too important to Star Trek as a whole to have Nero's "Death Star want to be" destroy it. I am not at all happy about this (trying to keep this G rated) and in as much as I want Star Trek to be popular again I am not sure if changing the fundimental truths of the last 47 years is a good idea.

I have heard people compare these changes to Batman, James Bond, and Battlestar Galactica. Well Batman like all superheroes changes over time. Batman is the not the same character today that he was in the 80s, the 60s, or the 30s while Star Trek has been arguably consistent for the last 47 years (I know even the original series was on consistent within itself). James Bond is changed every time they introduce an new actor to play the character so this does not really work as a comparison either. The new Battlestar Galactica is a better fit but it was an update for a series that only lasted one season while Star Trek covered almost 50 years of 10 movies and 5 series.

So I ask JJ why on Earth he decided to change things (please no dumb explanation of multiple universes – just tell us why – was real Star Trek to intellectual for you, do you simply like pop-corn over thought provoking – please explain the real reasons for the change).

Last edited by DanteLa : 05-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Okay seriously, when did this black font become the default for new members?

This is like the 4th time I've seen this today.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
Okay seriously, when did this black font become the default for new members?

This is like the 4th time I've seen this today.

It is a little hard to read. I have to squint, especially since I'm reading without my glasses right now.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
It is a little hard to read. I have to squint, especially since I'm reading without my glasses right now.
Click-dragging over the text works well.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Midshipman

Default Reboot

Quote:
So I ask JJ why on Earth he decided to change things (please no dumb explanation of multiple universes – just tell us why – was real Star Trek to intellectual for you, do you simply like pop-corn over thought provoking – please explain the real reasons for the change).
[/color]
The reason for the reboot is quite simple. Star Trek is a child of the cold war. Even the writers and producers of Enterprise are a child of this time.

People of this generation would sometimes freak out that missiles have been launched when a message of the emergency broadcasting system was announced on the radio or TV.

Star Trek reflected those times. However, the Millenials do not even recall a time in their lives when the USSR existed. They have been exposed to a whole different world of threats, issues and policies. That generation thinks Gay marriage is not a problem.

Star Trek needs to dance to a different rhythm to become relevant again.

Jose