The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Most influential art in your life
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Vice Admiral

i like eaves illustrations for star tek
Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Yeah, I expected a more hardboiled, down to earth kind of taste.
Didn't thought you would be the decadence/fin de siecle/ l'art pour l'art type.

Now I would suspect you should also like artists like Gustave Moreau or Gustav Klimt.
I like Moreau's stuff, but Klimt is right on the borderline between "Stuff I Like" and "Stuff that I Admire But Wouldn't Make a Special Trip to See."

We're really lucky in that we have a great little museum right over the border in Massachusetts, a mere 45 minutes away. Check it out:

http://www.clarkart.edu/

It sure beats driving to NYC or Boston!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Ensign

Because I'm about to hit the sheets, I'll be general and brief.

Probably the most influential art in my life has been film followed closely by comic books. I don't just mean sci-fi films or superhero comics, either.

Comics and my mother (a teacher) created a love of reading that has never abated in my 33 years of life (except for the years when I couldn't read...)

Literature has become the most important art in my life, as I am an aspiring writer.

Music, especially classical music, has the power to move me in ways no other music can. It's a spiritual experience for me to listen to the works of say Mozart or Bach. I also love choral music and Gregorian chant, and as a former Catholic seminarian, I developed a great love for both.

Example: I'm a high school teacher. When my students just enter class, it's chaos. Yet when I turn the lights off, have an assignment up on PowerPoint and a selection of classical music (today was Bach's Air on the G string--gorgeous stuff) and my students entered and were noticeably soothed and focused.

Finally, I adore sacred art and in particular, the work of Micheangelo Buonarotti. One of the most powerful experiences of my life was beholding what has become my favorite work of the visual arts--Micheangelo's Pieta--in person at St. Peter's Basilica as a senior in high school.

There's other stuff, of course, but I need to go to bed. Have an earlier start tomorrow than usual.

-Prime
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Ensign

Most influential book would probably be Bloomability by childrens' author Sharon Creech. Don't ask me why, since apparently it's not one of her better-known books, but that book had a big impact on me when I was young. There's also this one little-known fairy-tale called "The Handless Maiden" that means a lot to me.

Film is easily "Juno." To me it is a great portrait of the current teenaged generation, and it says so much so quietly, something very few films can master, much less comedies.

Music would be the Beatles. My absolute favorite song of theirs is "Eleanor Rigby." I'm also really into the music of the 80's--"Don't Stop Believin'" and "Janie's Got A Gun" particularly although I'll go crazy over anything if it's good enough.

The artist with the biggest influence on me is Alphonse Mucha--his art really has influenced the way I see myself and the way I define physical beauty.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Vice Admiral

I forgot about Mucha! Funny how one guy can totally define an entire genre.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra_Flowers View Post
Most influential book would probably be Bloomability by childrens' author Sharon Creech. Don't ask me why, since apparently it's not one of her better-known books, but that book had a big impact on me when I was young. There's also this one little-known fairy-tale called "The Handless Maiden" that means a lot to me.

Film is easily "Juno." To me it is a great portrait of the current teenaged generation, and it says so much so quietly, something very few films can master, much less comedies.

Music would be the Beatles. My absolute favorite song of theirs is "Eleanor Rigby." I'm also really into the music of the 80's--"Don't Stop Believin'" and "Janie's Got A Gun" particularly although I'll go crazy over anything if it's good enough.

The artist with the biggest influence on me is Alphonse Mucha--his art really has influenced the way I see myself and the way I define physical beauty.
I love 'Don't Stop Believing' - or most of Journey really!

courtesy of Saquist