The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Commander

Hmm, I guess I should round up what I didn't like about the film... I agree with the posters here saying that there needed to be more in the way of beauty shots, because well, they're beautiful. There were a few, and oh God were they beautiful, but I'm left hungry for more.

I also agree with whoever said that Chekov was overplayed. If Yelchin could speak with a natural Russian accent without hamming it up (like Simon Pegg did with his Scottish accent), that would be great. Maybe in the next film?

The infodump with Spock Prime was a touch jarring, and didn't quite gel with the pace of the rest of the film, but I forgive them that because it was Leonard Nimoy providing it. And it wasn't drawn out, either. The moment they stepped into the station on Delta Vega, back into the usual pace we dove.

All of the above, of course, was utterly outweighed by the good aspects of the film.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Midshipman

Default My Review of Star Trek XI - No Spoilers

I watched the First screening yesterday, 7th May Australia - 6th May USA Time.

I'll sum this down to some simple remarks. The movie was spectacular, AMAZING Sound Effects, Great choice in music, and a captivating Story that provides you with Sadness, Laughter, Fear, surprise, and for me, chills, from Beginning until the very END. The characters were all played Excellently! I expected a GOOD movie, and I got a GREAT movie instead!

My Movie Rating: ***** (5 Stars)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Midshipman

Saw the Movie with the Riverside Iowa folks last night May 6th. Special
premier showing. Paramount pictures reps were present making the Birthplace of James T. Kirk even more official and Puting the state of Iowa on the Map for far better things than Corn or **** marriage. The Movie is fantastic! It's a must see.

This Movie is the start of a whole new adventure in Star Trek. The younger cast , the great looking Enterprise, The over all look of the new film. I can't wait for the Next one I will be seeing this movie many many times till then...
Yes, fast paced but worth the ride

Excellent Job Abrams. Thank you!!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Ensign

Default Just Back from Cinema

Hiya fans and people who saw the movie. I myself have seen the Movie tonight and My God .

J J Abrams this is a brilliant Star Trek Movie from start to finish i enjoyed it the people enjoyed it and the funny parts the people laughed. So well done J J Abrams i loved this movie stuck to the Canon i feel ,

Also if have nt seen this movie i recommend you do , me and alot of my friends i went with tonight to see it loved it i did also.

The Enterprise looked great too,
Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Vice Admiral

saw it,the movie's rocks,the first quarter is unbelievable.i am not going into details,you ll have to experience it for your self

9/10 from me
Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Admiral

I might make it this weekend I might have to wait a week.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default No Spoilers But....

... I am trying hard to think of a movie in the Trek universe that was this entertaining and so free from obvious "issues".

I couldn't believe it was over as soon as it was - and never had my attention flag. Kudos to the editing - I will wait for the other stuff in the DVD pack.

I need to just sit and absorb for a while before writing anything more... I can't get the smile off my face - and I am sure that my eyes were wet after the final scene...
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Ensign

the only thing I really had a problem with is the use of lens flares. way overused. I want to see whats on the screen. not blinded every 15 seconds...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Agreed - yes. A good idea on a modest scale taken to insane extremes.

The other thing that gave me a groan was the music in Iowa scenes - but as it "kind of worked" I won't complain.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

I didn't find the lens flares as distracting as some here were anticipating/complaining. But could it have used less of them? Yes. I just didn't find it a problem... they come and go.

Dunsel, if you refer to the song playing in the Corvette -- I am not a great fan of the band, but it got a laugh of recognition and half my group commented on it after the film that they found its inclusion fun. Like the song or not, it played well in the scene.

And yes, the kid says "Tiberius".

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!