Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking
1. His role as the Emissary was essential to the seven year arc of the series. All of that awkwardness and uncomfortability built up to the finale and it played out very well.
2. Sisko without hair. Definitely.
3. Yes, Avery Brooks is an outstanding actor. While some have commented that he over acted, the truth is, more often than not Sisko was very restrained---especially the first 3-4 seasons. Certainly, his cadence would change when he was angry or passionate, but overall I think it was a very even performance. There were times when Benjamin Sisko was downright pensive and conflicted---and you didn't see that as much with other Captains.
4. Without question. I can't think an actor who could have played Sisko better or with as much depth as Avery Brooks. He was the perfect choice.
5. The Sisko was the most well-rounded Captain in Star Trek to date. Widower, father, son, friend, Captain, Emissary...he was all of those things and I think that it's an amazing character.
A big, hearty "+1" to everything you've just said there, RedShirtWalking!
Sisko is, without doubt, my favourite Captain from any of the Trek shows. And considering how much I like Picard (and indeed all of the others), that's no faint praise. Brooks was simply fabulous in the role, and really did make it his own. I actually really liked that he started out as a Commander who really didn't want to be posted to DS9, a surly, haunted misanthrope constantly battling his personal demons. We've never seen a Captain - or even a major character - have to climb such a hill before or since, and it was a total delight to see Brooks dive in and portray such a complicated character so perfectly.
It was a delight to see Sisko slowly but inevitably become attached to his new 'home' and develop into the leader he was destined to be before the events of Wolf 359, and he was at his best when his immense integrity was forced to make distasteful decisions to protect Bajor/the Federation/Starfleet/those he loved. His performance in episodes like In The Pale Moonlight
is easily the best I've ever seen in episodic TV, let alone just Trek itself.
A massive thumbs up for Avery!