The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Midshipman

Default Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here

I’m a Trekker who saw the movie on an IMAX screen in Austin, Texas on Monday, May the 5th (last night for me).

After an all-too-brief character setup, the plot begins to move at a blinding speed, changing direction so many times that you had to pay close attention to keep track of what goals the various players were trying to accomplish at any given time. It does not let up. While the story was certainly good hard sci-fi, I think they could have written just as fine a story without having the crew save the whole damn Federation One More Time. Still, the whole movie had me so enthralled, it seemed the credits were rolling after only a few subjective moments had passed. I almost cried.

The actors, considering the big shoes they had to fill, did a fine job. Chris Pine was good as Kirk, though it was apparant the brash confidence was forced out of him, as it waned at several key moments, and seemed overdone at others (though these were fewer). Zachary Quinto was not quite as subtle as Spock should have been played, though as a screen presence, he can sortof force you to overlook it. Karl Urban was completely awesome as McCoy — he stole every scene he was in, which was far too few. Anton Yelchin as Chekov was extremely entertaining. More entertaining than the original Chekov, if I’m allowed to say such things. The writing gave Scott and Uhura a bit more bredth than in previous Trek outings. Scotty is played very differently -- perhaps even a bit annoying, though I kinda liked him. For Uhura, I havn’t decided yet — you’ll see.

As far as adhering to Trek lore goes, they only hit the big points, and just enough details to get by. The Vulcans were logical (more logical than the in the later TV series', thank God), and had pointed ears in the right places. Earth still led a Federation of planets, and female crew wore mini-skirts. That said, the Enterprise herself was almost unrecognizable inside and out, except for a general shape. The Romulans really Were unrecognizable, though they havn’t really been interesting to me since TOS’s “The Balance of Terror” anyway (an awesome episode, btw). The after-timeline itself is broken by the time-travel paradox, so some things can be forgiven. Still, I’m less of a stickler for consistencies than other Trekkers, so I deducted very few points for this.

And lastly, on the sets and the effects — they were well done. The space battles visually enthralling, the sets were awesome if you can get past how different they are from TOS. I loved the new engine room, for instance, but disliked the bridge. There were aliens and monsters that will blow your mind, with the only downer being a comedy-relief alien sidekick that (thankfully) gets very little play.

If you are a Star Trek fan who does not use the word “canon” to describe previous plots and sets, you will have more fun than you can stand. I’ll be at the Theater on Thursday to see it again, and probably won’t leave until sometime Monday morning.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Midshipman

Smile Great, but...!

I just returned from the Cinemaxx in Hamburg-Dammtor (Germany).

The movie is great overall. To avoid spoilers, I just say that one habit or capability of James T. Kirk is greatly overdone and people sitting beneath me were saying: "Ohhh , not again. We know it by now." You'll see what I mean when you go and watch it.

Sometimes J.J.'s "shaky cam" goes on my nerves, too. Maybe we should collect some Dollars here in this board and give him a good steadycam. But it was way better than in Cloverfield. No headaches this time.

It was the same for me as with bozimmerman, I nearly couldn't believe how fast the time had passed. The movie grabs you from the beginning and pulls you through the evening, that's great.

Checkov is in my opinion greatly overplayed, from the beginning on he's more like a clown. I don't like that. But maybe that's only in the localized German version. The synchronisation in German was the worst of all Star Trek films ever, if I may say that. . And the alien... like bozimmerman said... it reminds me of Star Wars somehow. It was unneccesary.

Last edited by NetZero : 05-07-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Opinion added.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Preview review of German version
I read most of the reviews and all spoilers... when you read scene descriptions and how beautiful this scene is and how great that ship looks... you begin to imagine it. So I imagined several scenes that were described as beautiful, thrilling, etc. Problem is: they probably look different in the film.
I expected more. The beautiful scenes were simply too short.
Didn't like the monsters, but that little parasite could be related to those from Conspiracy (TNG), and I liked that.
The style amazed me (space scenes), the costumes were great (the Romulans remind me of Nosferatu in their costumes and the Starfleet uniforms work perfectly).
Props... hm. Phaser is nothing special, just the typical Sci-Fi blaster. Tricorder is used once for a log entry.
Sounds: The transporter sound is basically the TOS sound with some added features. The intercom sound is a typical TOS button sound!
And you'll even hear the traditional three-note-sound (da-deeee-dap), but not where you'd expect it! Great detail! The tribble also comes with the classic sounds.
I was disturbed by the lens flares and shaky cam when I saw the clips, but I barely noticed them in the movie. Cancel red alert!
All the scenes that made me wanna cry (positively) were over the next moment and that is the big thing I didn't like.
There is one major canon error that is not explained by alternate timelines (Delta Vega and its connection to Vulcan).
I also didn't like the romance in the movie.
But the good things outweigh the bad. So many nods!!!
There is even a great reference to BTTF2!
And there are scenes that remind me of the movies.
Flying to the Ship (TMP) - but too short!
An Admiral's uniform (TMP)
The entire Apple-eating scene (WOK)
A drive malfunction (SFS)
Training (TVH)
Bump! (TFF)
Red matter in zero-G looks like Klingon blood (TUC)
And the end credits are just beautiful.
The most exciting moment was when the title was revealed. Tears all over me (almost)
There were a lot of fans in costume there and I took 18 friends with me.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Ensign

Default Ive seen it yesterday evening

And all I now have to say is ABSOLUTLY AMAZING, its A beatiful Movie

Thanks JJ Abrams for yor great Work and for all Hardcore Canonists out there let me say, Star Trek is not Dead is has made an evolution Step into the Future.

And in this Hour i am proud to be an Startrek Fan
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Preview review of German version
I read most of the reviews and all spoilers... when you read scene descriptions and how beautiful this scene is and how great that ship looks... you begin to imagine it. So I imagined several scenes that were described as beautiful, thrilling, etc. Problem is: they probably look different in the film.
I expected more. The beautiful scenes were simply too short.
Didn't like the monsters, but that little parasite could be related to those from Conspiracy (TNG), and I liked that.
The style amazed me (space scenes), the costumes were great (the Romulans remind me of Nosferatu in their costumes and the Starfleet uniforms work perfectly).
Props... hm. Phaser is nothing special, just the typical Sci-Fi blaster. Tricorder is used once for a log entry.
Sounds: The transporter sound is basically the TOS sound with some added features. The intercom sound is a typical TOS button sound!
And you'll even hear the traditional three-note-sound (da-deeee-dap), but not where you'd expect it! Great detail! The tribble also comes with the classic sounds.
I was disturbed by the lens flares and shaky cam when I saw the clips, but I barely noticed them in the movie. Cancel red alert!
All the scenes that made me wanna cry (positively) were over the next moment and that is the big thing I didn't like.
There is one major canon error that is not explained by alternate timelines (Delta Vega and its connection to Vulcan).
I also didn't like the romance in the movie.
But the good things outweigh the bad. So many nods!!!
There is even a great reference to BTTF2!
And there are scenes that remind me of the movies.
Flying to the Ship (TMP) - but too short!
An Admiral's uniform (TMP)
The entire Apple-eating scene (WOK)
A drive malfunction (SFS)
Training (TVH)
Bump! (TFF)
Red matter in zero-G looks like Klingon blood (TUC)
And the end credits are just beautiful.
The most exciting moment was when the title was revealed. Tears all over me (almost)
There were a lot of fans in costume there and I took 18 friends with me.
Thanks so much for such a great review! I am assuming you are talking about Back To the Future 2? I am sooooo excited!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

I tried to be honest and unemotional
BTW, people were laughing at the right moments and there was applause when Nimoy appeared - and again when the credits began!

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Are there any scenes "After" the ending credits?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

No, just Spyglass and Paramount logos.
Read the book for a special epilogue scene

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Commander

Just got back from it. Amazing. Everything was pitch-perfect. Characters, plot, dialogue, sets, style, humour. Glorious. Going to see it again as soon as humanly possible.

Edit: NCC, thank you for reminding me of the simulator scene, that was absolutely hysterical.

Edit 2: Something I just can't stop myself saying: the odd-number curse has finally been annihilated.

Last edited by Thascales : 05-06-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Funny thing is, if you're a fan, you're like Kirk because you know.

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-