The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > (Maybe Spoiler) This IS Star Trek, and it IS Canon (maybe Spoiler)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
But Orci and Kurtzman did not change their minds about their own script, nor do they contradict their own facts in the comic prequel they conceived.

The explanation shown in Countdown is the same as in the film, but the film explains it much more briefly.

What is stated in the comic is stated in the film, if that helps. Orci wasn't lying in interviews, nor was he making up explanations to soothe the egos of ill-informed fans. He was talking about his own script in as much detail as he could without giving the whole story away months in advance.
Do they actually say in the countdown comics or the film that they haven't hopped dimensions, but merely traveled in time? If they did, then you're absolutely right. If not, then the best explanation given what we know about the star trek universe is that they not only traveled back in time, but also to a parallel reality, as we know that in every prior case of time travel within a single universe, history is actually altered and the old time line ceases to exist.

I'm not bashing the film or anything - I still plan on seeing it and I hope it's great. I'm just saying that given the info we have, an alternate universe makes the most sense.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir2000 View Post
Do they actually say in the countdown comics or the film that they haven't hopped dimensions, but merely traveled in time? If they did, then you're absolutely right. If not, then the best explanation given what we know about the star trek universe is that they not only traveled back in time, but also to a parallel reality, as we know that in every prior case of time travel within a single universe, history is actually altered and the old time line ceases to exist.

I'm not bashing the film or anything - I still plan on seeing it and I hope it's great. I'm just saying that given the info we have, an alternate universe makes the most sense.
It is described in the film as an "Alternate Reality" being created by Nero coming back in time.

There is also other dialog that talks specifically about the changes, but I won't spoil that here.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Ensign

It's canon. I siad it and that's the end of the debate.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriptures17 View Post
You heard the man...pack up the forum that is it...let me know how this works for ya.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriptures17 View Post
Ha! I wish you luck.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Ensign

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I thought this too at the beginning. But there are too many differences between the "real" original timeline and the movie timeline prior to Nero's appearance for them to be the same. I think that Nero and Spock emerge in and alternate universe (Abramsverse) that is about 99% identical to the "real" universe that they left. There are differences, but they are minor. Kirk being born in space instead of in Iowa. Delta Vega being an "ice planet" instead of a desolate desert wasteland like in "WNMHGB". Delta Vega being extremely close to planet Vulcan instead of being located at the edge of the galaxy as in WNMHGB. Captain Pike possibly being many years older than he appeared to be in the flashback scenes from "The Menagerie". Chekov apparently being much older than he was in the original universe.
Yeah, I heard another one. Bobby Ewing wasn't really dead, it was all a dream.

Seriously, these are changes to Star Trek that absolutely didn't have to be made. More and more, I'm hearing people say that Paramount deliberately changed Trek in order to pick a fight with the loyal fans. This board is an example of that tactic.

A public fight of Abrams verses angry Trek fans would create publicity, right? Wasn't that the plan? Isn't that the purpose of this online forum? Didn't Paramount want to make unnecessary changes to Star Trek, so that the loyal fans WOULD be outraged? Isn't that the marketing plan, hmmm???

Problem is, the Trek fans aren't biting. The loyal Trek fans aren't angry about this movie -just very indifferent towards it.

No, this moive is NOT "Canon" and loyal Trek fans will treat it as an anomaly. Even that word ("canon") was chosen to pick a fight with Star Trek fans, wasn't it?

I'm very curious - just WHO do you think the loyal Star Trek fans are, anyway? Because despite the neat marketing language, judging from this forum Paramount doesn't seem to respect fan loyalty. Maybe that's why Paramount has so few successful movie franchises.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integritas View Post

I'm very curious - just WHO do you think the loyal Star Trek fans are, anyway?
All of us.

You're the one who's turning this into a game of divide and conquer. Not Paramount.

This is not a war and we're not enemies.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Captain

We've covered this on other threads...

What we're dealing with is like what happened to Worf in the episode "Paralles": A quantum reality.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
All of us.

You're the one who's turning this into a game of divide and conquer. Not Paramount.

This is not a war and we're not enemies.
And that's the problem. Paramount wants a war and that's why they set up this game of divide and conquer.

They changed Star Trek, and expected and planned for a backlash. Problem is, the Trek fans don't care. Paramount didn't get the controversy they hoped for.

Last edited by Integritas : 05-05-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integritas View Post
And that's the problem. Paramount wants a war and that's why they set up this game of divide and conquer.

They changed Star Trek, and expected and planned for a backlash. Problem is, the Trek fans don't care. Paramount didn't get the contraversy they hoped for.
Wow, are you paranoid. And very interesting that you have just now jumped onto this forum, 2 days before the premiere...

Someone with so much anger towards the new movie probably would have been on sooner, don't you think?

Smells a little funny to me....

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.