The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How will Star Trek compare to Wolverine's $87,000,000?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
So 3,500 for Trek versus 4,099 for X-men, then Trek gets an extra day? I think Trek should win with the extra day, even with fewer screens.

Why does Abramsprise have to have an extra day to win against X-men?

Seems if X-men gets 200 million in 3 days and Abramsprise gets 200 million in 4 days then the X-men wins.

Also, why are there Theaters not wanting to show Abramsprise? Why can't it get 4099 theaters also? Interesting
Old 05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Right...makes sense...Thanks!

And, IMAX tickets are more expensive, too, aren't they?
As far as I know, they are more expensive.

Quote:
Okay, I thought the 3500 number WAS screens. Well now there are more unknown variables!!! Dang, I wonder if there are statistics kept that will show how many TICKETS were sold on opening weekend. That would be great comparison because it would eliminate a lot of things.
Well you can work out how many people attended roughly by dividing the total opening gross by the average price of a movie ticket in the US.

Course, if someone went 5 times in one day - you wouldn't be able to tell that!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Lieutenant

And don't forget that these opening numbers for Wolverine are under estimated due to the leaked version.

I saw it on my home theatre, so that's $16 they won't get. How many others?

It would be nice if the studios streamed the movies when they are released. I'd rather sit in the comfort of my home then go to a movie theatre. But that's me.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Why does Abramsprise have to have an extra day to win against X-men?
I never said it did. I am just saying the extra day does give trek a mathematical advantage. It actually may be a disadvantage on sites that only use the 3 day comparison because WHICH three days do they use? Fri-Sun will eliminate OPENING DAY!!! While a Thurs-Sat will eliminate a huge weekend market!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Seems if X-men gets 200 million in 3 days and Abramsprise gets 200 million in 4 days then the X-men wins.
Per day yes, but what if X-men had more screens, therefore more seats available? Doesn't seem fair. It's not a true comparison in many ways. If ALL things were equal, screens and seats available and number of showings, then that would be a true comparison, in my opinion.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-03-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, the estimate itself will prove to be fairly accurate, but yes the leak may have hit it if some undecided viewers were put off before the official release.

I love going to a movie theatre though. Some films are just built for those massive screens.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
And don't forget that these opening numbers for Wolverine are under estimated due to the leaked version.

It would be nice if the studios streamed the movies when they are released. I'd rather sit in the comfort of my home then go to a movie theatre. But that's me.
Well, and they won't get my $16 for Wolverine because I honestly can wait until it comes out on DVD. I haven't seen the leaked version and don't feel like I need to rush out and see this.

I budgeted that $16 for one of the multiple showings of Star Trek I'll see this coming weekend.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well you can work out how many people attended roughly by dividing the total opening gross by the average price of a movie ticket in the US.

Course, if someone went 5 times in one day - you wouldn't be able to tell that!
See, I think there should be stats showing number of tickets sold, none of this estimate based on dividing the other numbers. Some theaters are more expensive than others so there is no real way to know for sure based on such numbers. Actually counting the number of sold tickets should be possible. I don't care if a fan goes multiple times, that can happen for BOTH Trek and X-men and if the person is paying it should make NO difference.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Lieutenant

X-men has it's name to go on. The X-men films have had more general appeal than Trek films. Considering the amount of buzz about Trek compared to X-men i'm thinking Trek will come out on top overall. My theater was sold out on both screens opening night for X-men. They next day I went to it, one of the theaters was packed. And that was a matinee. I don't think X-men will hold number one come second week when Trek premiers. People might have already realized that Wolverine sucked. Worse than I thought it was going to be. I thought "it should at least be better than X-men 3." X-men 3 was better. Star Trek will beat X-men.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post

I think the VAST majority of movie goers will go watch X-Men in the theater even if they watched the leaked version. The leaked version was incomplete and on top of that the sheer size of the screen and the audio systems in theaters makes the movie experience much more than knowing how the story ends.

I'm surprised you admit watching an illegal copy so nonchalantly.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I never said it did. I am just saying the extra day does give trek a mathematical advantage. It actually may be a disadvantage on sites that only use the 3 day comparison because WHICH three days do they use? Fri-Sun will eliminate OPENING DAY!!! While a Thurs-Sat will eliminate a huge weekend market!!!
I'll give you an example to illustrate and use the Box Office Mojo info for Iron Man.

First - the three days they use are always the Fri-Sun figures.

So, Iron Man opened on a Thursday and earned and estimated $3.5 million. It went wide on the Friday and from the Fri-Sun earned $98.6 million. So on the Sunday it's full gross to that point was $102.1 million in the bank. But it's official recorded opening weeked is the $98.6 figure because the Thursday isn't counted.

So If Trek earns $10 million on thursday then $80 million Fri-Sun, it's total gross will be $90 when it's reported, but it's actual opening is recorded as the $80 million figure.

It depends how early and wide the Thursday opening actually is.

courtesy of Saquist