The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > after this adventure.....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Commander

Paramount are looking to revive Trek as a MOVIE franchise. Abrams is the key producer on trek now, pretty much replacing rick Berman and his team at the helm of the franchise.

CBS own the TV rights, not Paramount. Part of the separation deal. So Paramount CANNOT get a new Trek TV Series out the door.

Paramount is definately thinking long term. They aren't stupid, and the know more of what they are doing in the entertainment business that anyone on these boards.

As for the Money Grab, I doubt JJ Abrams and Bad Robot would get into something for the long haul, and risk failing to the tune of $150m dollars, if they were not in it for the long haul.

JJ Abrams isn't going to direct every feature stemming from this film, but Bad Robot will produce it under his control.

You never know, Steven Spielberg may actually get to make one ;-)
Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Paramount are looking to revive Trek as a MOVIE franchise. Abrams is the key producer on trek now, pretty much replacing rick Berman and his team at the helm of the franchise.

CBS own the TV rights, not Paramount. Part of the separation deal. So Paramount CANNOT get a new Trek TV Series out the door.

Paramount is definately thinking long term. They aren't stupid, and the know more of what they are doing in the entertainment business that anyone on these boards.

As for the Money Grab, I doubt JJ Abrams and Bad Robot would get into something for the long haul, and risk failing to the tune of $150m dollars, if they were not in it for the long haul.

JJ Abrams isn't going to direct every feature stemming from this film, but Bad Robot will produce it under his control.

You never know, Steven Spielberg may actually get to make one ;-)
I forgot about the CBS/Paramount separation. I keep thinking of it as all one entity. And a Spielberg-directed Trek movie...not sure what that would end up looking like! Do I want to know?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I forgot about the CBS/Paramount separation. I keep thinking of it as all one entity. And a Spielberg-directed Trek movie...not sure what that would end up looking like! Do I want to know?
No! God help me no!

Seriously he is a good director but he would have to stay away from his usual Spielberg formula moments found in many of his movies. He has made some very good dramas with excellent actors. I wonder if he would do one.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:27 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again there will be no tv series this is the end of Star Trek. Abrams will follow this up with a sequel or two and then move on. This is not an attempt to update and revive Star Trek but a money grabbing exercise. I would wish things were otherwise hell, I would even accept a new Trek based on this alternate time-line and start things over again but no one is going to make it so.
I'm not sure I follow the reasons for attacking this as a money-grabbing excercise.

The point of a TV series and film franchise (viewer entertainment aside) is, and always will be, to make money for those funding it. Star Trek has been Paramount's money grabbing excercise since it began.

However I don't think we will see the five year mission as such. Not in film and not in any new series. But I expect any future films to make references to events of the five year mission.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
...CBS own the TV rights, not Paramount....
Then this should be seen as an an opportunity, not as a road block. Solution: Paramount needs to buy the rights.
Quote:
...JJ Abrams isn't going to direct every feature stemming from this film, but Bad Robot will produce it under his control....You never know, Steven Spielberg may actually get to make one ;-)
That'd be cool.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
Solution: Paramount needs to buy the rights.
What would a movie studio do with tv rights if bought?
Why would they even waste money like that?
They're doing just fine with what they have.

What you are really wanting is the opposite; that Paramount would lose the rights they have so that they revert to CBS. Even then, I'm not sure exactly how much CBS can utilize via contract in what Paramount develops since the rights are licensed.

Hard to understand I know, but similar to the Star Wars situation.
Lucas owns Star Wars. It licenses it out to Dark Horse for comics, Pocket Books for novels, LucasArts for games and so forth but is not beholden to abide by anything those companies develop; even LucasArts. Lucas can use whatever is developed by them if he so wishes, however he wishes; in parts, wholesale, ignore and/or outright overturn if that is what works best for him.
See Wars' fandom shaken by dismissal (oh noes! the canon!) of the Clone Wars comics and original animation shorts. Trek fans aren't nearly as canon obsessive as Wars fans, but they're close.
Google "Is my Star Wars Coloring Book canon?" for more insight.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Commander

I actually believe that the Movies Series may do something in the 5 year mission, it's kind of an unwritten expectation, considering the 5 year mission is such a core concept of the Original Series.

They've done the Origin, so future stories would logically be part of the 5-year-mission.

If this movie is successful (highly probable), then I'd love to see the next movie take us somewhere new, and show something never before seen. Let's see a "Strange, new world" on an epic scale, and center and adventure on and around that world.