The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Sideburns Remain!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Rear Admiral

This is hilarious! I guess we are scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as topics go? Sideburns...what's next? Nosehair?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Federation Councillor

I want to see an Admiral with a great big Victorian beard!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Yeah...but sadly, instead of using the real sideburns, cut to a point for Spock, Quinto sports little pointy hairs that don't lie flat on his skin giving him the appearance of wearing a "Spock Hat"...the degree that this upsets me cannot be expressed....

Can anyone tell me they really believe Quinto is incapable of growing a sideburn? The man is practically a werewolf he's so hairy....why not do it right?
Sorry if this disappoints you, but those ARE his real sideburns, as seen in this photo from last April at his first appearance with Nimoy at Grand Slam 16.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Admiral

So, apparently, he can't grow them any further than a tenth of the way down the ear?

I don't for a moment believe that.....because, dude...look at the stubble!

Go look at a frontal view (the official poster works) and you'll see what I'm talking about: the "points" of the sideburns float away from his skin...on Nimoy, the hairs were cut to be pointed at the bottom... Viewed from the front, the hair was coming out of his skin all the way down.

If I need to post pictures to illustrate this, I will...but I'll be very disappointed that such a huge physical aspect of a major character is not recognized.

Oh hell...

(time out while Eliza gathers pictures, puts them together and uploads them to PhotoBucket...)

Notice that the "point" of Nimoy's sideburn at least seemsto be connected to his skin, while the "point" of Quinto's is just a little curly from the bigger bunch of hairs above. You would have never seen Spock's "other" sideburn in a shot like the one of Quinto here.

In the full frontal picture of Quinto, it's clear that most of the sideburn is, in fact, hairs dragged down from above the earline....

Also, note that I don't know a single woman who doesn't have a product in her vanity that would have glued those sideburns down so they didn't curl up like that....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!

Last edited by Elizadolots : 04-24-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
This is hilarious! I guess we are scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as topics go? Sideburns...what's next? Nosehair?
Oh f#@*! you Captain! 15 years later you still have that attitude!!!!

Sorry...for some reason that TNG "Family Guy" episode line got in my head when I read your post! LOL

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Captain

This thread wasn't so much about picking at Spock's burns, or anybody elses. I just thought it was neat that the burns were being included....a nice hommage.

What are they calling these? "Easter Eggs"? Works for me!!!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
This thread wasn't so much about picking at Spock's burns, or anybody elses. I just thought it was neat that the burns were being included....a nice hommage.

What are they calling these? "Easter Eggs"? Works for me!!!
Oh I was actually responding to Elizadolots post.

Should have quoted it. *scurries back to edit*

(All fixed! I just re-posted it to avoid confusion.)
Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
So, apparently, he can't grow them any further than a tenth of the way down the ear?

I don't for a moment believe that.....because, dude...look at the stubble!

Go look at a frontal view (the official poster works) and you'll see what I'm talking about: the "points" of the sideburns float away from his skin...on Nimoy, the hairs were cut to be pointed at the bottom... Viewed from the front, the hair was coming out of his skin all the way down.

If I need to post pictures to illustrate this, I will...but I'll be very disappointed that such a huge physical aspect of a major character is not recognized.

Oh hell...

(time out while Eliza gathers pictures, puts them together and uploads them to PhotoBucket...)

Notice that the "point" of Nimoy's sideburn at least seemsto be connected to his skin, while the "point" of Quinto's is just a little curly from the bigger bunch of hairs above. You would have never seen Spock's "other" sideburn in a shot like the one of Quinto here.

In the full frontal picture of Quinto, it's clear that most of the sideburn is, in fact, hairs dragged down from above the earline....

Also, note that I don't know a single woman who doesn't have a product in her vanity that would have glued those sideburns down so they didn't curl up like that....

Are Spock's sideburns really that big of an issue?! I didn't even notice the difference and it still doesn't look like much of a difference to me even with the pictures next to each other. Great photos, btw! *right-click-save*

If his regular sideburns are pointy, there's not much reason to grown them out further, only to shave them into a point that looks almost exactly like the point that he already had. Extra work, why bother? It's not enough of a difference to really matter, since we won't be staring at his sideburns and only his sideburns for the entire movie. I really would not have noticed at all if you hadn't pointed it out and I suspect most moviegoers won't notice either. If I were him, I wouldn't have bothered with all the extra hair growing and shaping either. Shaving one's eyebrows and getting a horrific bowl cut is enough of a sacrifice as it is.

(I like the bowl cut on Vulcans, btw, but that's GOTTA suck being stuck with that while out and about at the grocery store. ROFL)