The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Not Sure about this my Take
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Okay, here's what I have to say on these points:

- Enterprise being built in Iowa: Possible, since nothing onscreen actually established otherwise. Alternate Universe.
- Spock distrusting Kirk: This is an origin story. This is about how they become who we know.
- Arrogant Kirk: That's one thing he does have on occasion. But he gains the skills and disciplin from Starfleet, and combined, they make the James Kirk we know. Plus, Alternate Universe.
- Pike/Kirk relationship: This occurs in an alternate universe created by the one we know. Circumstances are directly changed that lead to this.
- Ship Changes: You get the picture ;-)
- Kirk sleeping with Uhura: Doesn't happen. Previews actually show an Orion girl (She's green, but the lighting is a little deceptive).
- Trek History has NOT been put aside. In terms of characterizations, from what I can gather, they got those mostly right.
- The older Spock is from the reality we already know. I'll leave it at that.

Yes, it's different, and in many ways COULD be viewed as a reboot, but it is spawned by the existing continuity.

In fact, all of the events in Enterprise still happen, since they are the same Universe until a specific divergent event.
You say the sleeping scene from the trailer looks like Kirk is with an Orion, then you say the lighting is Deceptive. It looks like Abrams (Or someone) may have resorted to Deception to sell the movie? Is this what happened and if so why?

Just my questions, concerns and opinions.

Last edited by Magnum : 04-23-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
You say the sleeping scene from the trailer looks like Kirk is with an Orion, then you say the lighting is Deceptive. It looks like Abrams (Or someone) may have resorted to Deception to sell the movie? Is this what happened and if so why?

I uh... I don't think the key selling point of the film is whether Kirk is sleeping with Uhura or an Orion... I uh... wow. Bridge-dweller much?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Roth View Post
Also, not sure is this is so much an arrogance as it was an obsession: Command of a Starship...and not just any Starship, but the Enterprise.

[snip]

He doesn't 'like to lose' is as arrogant as you can get.
Not to mention his personal judgment calls on when ... and when not ... to honor the Prime Directive. And his own personal interpretation of the PD.

I have absolutely no problem with seeing arrogance as an integral facet of a young Kirk's personality ... it was, IMO, a subtle part of his canon personality in the Trek we already know.

And I should be clear that I do believe that, on occasion, arrogance is not necessarily a fault and can be an asset in a leader.

So if young Kirk is portrayed as arrogant? I find that totally believeable and not at all canon-contradictory.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWoman View Post
Not to mention his personal judgment calls on when ... and when not ... to honor the Prime Directive. And his own personal interpretation of the PD.

I have absolutely no problem with seeing arrogance as an integral facet of a young Kirk's personality ... it was, IMO, a subtle part of his canon personality in the Trek we already know.

And I should be clear that I do believe that, on occasion, arrogance is not necessarily a fault and can be an asset in a leader.

So if young Kirk is portrayed as arrogant? I find that totally believeable and not at all canon-contradictory.
I can stand behind this theory.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWoman View Post

I think that sometimes you have to be a little arrogant in order to accomplish something that's particularly difficult or seemingly impossible. You have to think that you're really awesome and the best person for the job, otherwise you would just quit before you even started once you realized how hard the task was.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I think that sometimes you have to be a little arrogant in order to accomplish something that's particularly difficult or seemingly impossible. You have to think that you're really awesome and the best person for the job, otherwise you would just quit before you even started once you realized how hard the task was.
Thus the phrase "my ship".
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post

What I ACTUALLY said was the LIGHTING is deceptive, not ABRAMS is deceptive !!!!

To clarify:

In the quick shot, the way it is lit, the green skin tone is subtle, and it is difficult to make out.

It's not deception, but a simple quick shot in the editing of the trailer. That's it. Don't read into my statements what is not there.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
The real difference between Arrogance and Confidence is results and perception.

Arrogance, truth be told, is really being unduly self assured and confident in your position.

The arrogance of youth becomes confident decisiveness when everyone looks to you for decisions.

With training, that arrogance can combine with honed command instincts to make the leader we all know.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Commander

Quote:

Arrogance, truth be told, is really being unduly self assured and confident in your position.

The arrogance of youth becomes confident decisiveness when everyone looks to you for decisions.

With training, that arrogance can combine with honed command instincts to make the leader we all know.
I like how you put this.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Ensign

Quote:

The evolution of Jim Kirk right there folks!