The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Young criminals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Mouse brought up the media.
Yep, there is a difference between people who are in gangs and reflect that afterwards or during that time in their music and there are people who see how well this new gangsta rap sells and pretend to have made similar experiences although they don't have.

There is no doubt that violent computer games, violent movies or gangsta rap or whatever else amplify the aggressive tendencies of a potential amok runner. Yet they are not the cause, bad parenting is.

Back on gang violence, I have the impression that income inequality has a positive effect upon it. A society which consists of a broad middle class is the best recipe against such violence IMO.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
There is no doubt that violent computer games, violent movies or gangsta rap or whatever else amplify the aggressive tendencies of a potential amok runner. Yet they are not the cause, bad parenting is.
Whoa..steady. Many many scientists have tried to demonstrate a causitive link between violent video games and violent behaviour and have failed to do so. Just showing that young violent criminals play video games is not the same as proving video games amplify agressive tendencies. Hooded sweatshirts don't cause criminal behaviour and neither do kitchen knives but both may be present in incidences of violence. Interestingly a recent study covered in New Scientist showed that driving games generated a stronger physiological response than violent ones. Politicians in both the US and the UK use videogames as an excuse and don't deal with the serious social causes of violence like poverty, poor education, brutal parenting and drug culture. My point is, tobacco companies have a huge body of evidence against them all of which shows smoking is bad for your health. Many people claim the same about videogames but this is simply not true, however much some politicians and newspapers might wish it to be.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well said, I agree on the reasons for violence, and nice examples for the misuse of statistics by claiming that correlation necessarily implies causation.
I also think that violence in media can either have an amplifier or catharsis effect. But the aggressive tendencides of a potential amok runner, a kid who already considers this, are probably amplified by media violence.

Still this is no reason to ban violent video games, I rather suggest to care about guns and in case of 'ordinary' violence to reduce income inequality. We Germans have a big welfare state and not much ghettos and gang violence.

Last edited by horatio : 04-23-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Commander

Quote:
I also think that violence in media can either have an amplifier or catharsis effect. But the aggressive tendencides of a potential amok runner, a kid who already considers this, are probably amplified by media violence.
I am not sure if it really is able to amplify violence or if the violent person just tries to find a medium he can project already existing violent fantasies into, until the medium isn't enough anymore and he crosses over to real violence.

Before medias existed to give violent people a medium to satisfy any kind of violent fantasy, the fantasies themselves maybe weren't any weaker, the person just would have looked for any other object he can use for their satisfaction (very stereotype example: torture small animals)

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 04-23-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's kinda like both ideas at once: burn ants or shoot monsters on the 'puter as an outlet for your aggressions, but after some time it might not suffice anymore and you need the real thing.
Still, ego-shooters seem to be the closest emulation to amok runs. No need to ban any of that stuff because you'd have to censor anything with features violence, Rambo, Doom or Titus Andronicus.

Better deal with the underlying problem: poverty, ghettoization, social decay, bad parenting. But certain "elites" tell us that income redistribution, a society with a broad middle-class is supposed to be a bad thing because CEOs don't work anymore if they have to pay more taxes ...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
Still, ego-shooters seem to be the closest emulation to amok runs.
Paintball has the closest emulation.
And I still wait for the day they want to ban the news, for showing violence.

The whole discussion sometimes reminds a little to Goethes Werther, if I am correct it was also baned in Leipzig and some other cities and countries, because it was blamed for inspiring young people to commit suicide. And nowadays we let our children read such a dangerous book in school. ^^

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 04-23-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Right, the alleged Werther-suicide wave. Stephen King has written a book about an amok runner called "Rage". Excellent book, yet after it was claimed that some amok runners have read it, it was not published again (as far as I know). Same with Shakespeare, lots of bloody deaths in his non-comedies.

Anyway, blaming video games is just media sensationalism, just like blaming ominous handy radiation or oral sex or whatever else for cancer. It's not like the most obvious causes are smoking, drinking, unhealthy food and no sports.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
It isn't propaganda NCC, it's the truth, and I for one am going to tell it unapologetically. If you can't handle it, that's your problem.
It may your truth the one that you have faith in...nothing wrong with NCC's point of view as well. If he thinks it religious propaganda that is his version of the "truth". That is why preaching in this forum is against the rules. If you believe one way please be respectful enough not to enforce your views on someone else. Thank you.