The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trekkies & Trekkies2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Commander

Default Trekkies & Trekkies2

You like?

Just saw the second Trekkies doco last night for the first time. It's pretty cool.

But I reckon the first one was better.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I prefer the second one, but the series isnt very good. They edited A LOT and made people seem like complete losers, I am very sympathetic to those who were mistreated by those who did the films. It's good for a few laughs, but most of it is demeaning to the fans, especially in the first one.

Feel free to look at my Trek stuff (including Bedroom, prop replicas and STTE) available HERE
Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Rear Admiral

Personally, although they may be funny movies, I feel like this film has given us Star Trek fans a bad name. It is essencially a movie telling the public of what and who not to be. I mean, what a perfect way to tell someone is geeky. I mean, not all of the fans of the show dress up in uniform and all. And I think it gives us a bad image to the general and ignorant public. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, I was insulted by it. It's just a waste of time and is just a way of saying, "Damn, you people have no life!"
Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Personally, although they may be funny movies, I feel like this film has given us Star Trek fans a bad name. It is essencially a movie telling the public of what and who not to be. I mean, what a perfect way to tell someone is geeky. I mean, not all of the fans of the show dress up in uniform and all. And I think it gives us a bad image to the general and ignorant public. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, I was insulted by it. It's just a waste of time and is just a way of saying, "Damn, you people have no life!"
So true. I'm sure there are people out there at look down on us Trek fans, but so what. They have to like something too with the same amount of passion and we don't go dissing on what they like. I think the film was a little funny but it sends the wrong message about the fans. People should really not be so shallow to think that all Trek fans are "ubernerds" because while there may be a few that are, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with the at all, because I are interesting people that happen to like a great science fiction franchise.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Commander

Well yeah but I did like what a lot of the fans themselves were saying, which was a message that the coolest thing is to be yourself regardless of what other people think.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Lieutenant Commander

What I wonder is what percentage of the whole Trek fandom those uber fanatics represent. Are most Trekkers getting a bad wrap only because of a handful of ultra-devoted fans? And I agree that those 2 movies only help perpetuating an already bad image. This is no way to help Star Trek getting more respect and stop being ridiculed and laughed at.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATEDNCC1701 View Post
So true. I'm sure there are people out there at look down on us Trek fans, but so what. They have to like something too with the same amount of passion and we don't go dissing on what they like. I think the film was a little funny but it sends the wrong message about the fans. People should really not be so shallow to think that all Trek fans are "ubernerds" because while there may be a few that are, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with the at all, because I are interesting people that happen to like a great science fiction franchise.
Well said, dude!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Midshipman

People joke with me about me being a Trekkie. It doesn't bother me if there are fans that are a bit overboard. I am CEO of my own company, have a great life, and lots of great Star Trek friends as well as many who aren't. At the end of the day, I am my own man and never apologize for being a "Trekkie". Oh yeah I think it is lame when you have to insist on being called a "Trekker". Those are the people who give us all a bad name.

Alec

Oh yeah, go visit the MySpace for Trekkies....

http://www.trekspace.org
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Ensign

What's interesting is how different people perceive the same thing. I was not offended by the films nor did I think they portray fans in a bad light. I think they made some effort to show that not all fandom is like this but there really are fans who are what some may call "extreme". That does not make them wrong or even justify ridicule by those of us who are not uberfans. I think the public is smart enough to figure out that all Star Trek fans are not like those portrayed in the documentaries and yet there are some fans who are. I'm sorry if you feel like the fans in Trekkies give Star Trek fans a bad rep but I don't agree. I think that Star Trek fans who take that kind of attitude have missed the basic message of Star Trek (IDIC) and need to re-evaluate why they are fans and why fans like those documented in Trekkies really bother them. We should embrace our brothers and sisters in fandom and accept them for who they are.

I say more power to the Commander! May she live long and prosper!

Kevin
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrek View Post
I say more power to the Commander! May she live long and prosper!

Kevin
Yup.

Far's I see it, the "uber-fans" should be just as proud as anyone else. I am not one of those uber-fans, and might not even be Trekkie in the traditional sense - I don't know - but as far as I see it, whatever it is that makes a person "eccentric" or strange or whatever. As long as it does no harm to other people or harm to yourself, it ought to be a source of pride.

I see the Trekkies movies as celebrating, rather than belittling that. And the day when we see each other's eccentricity as a source of shame, that will be a sad day indeed. Because on that day, resistance may as well be futile!