The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > anyone for g.i.joe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
The cartoon didn't mean squat to me. G.I. Joe meant something entirely different to me. When I was young G.I. Joe's were 12 inch tall action figures that wore accurate miniature U.S. Army, Navy and Marine uniforms and carried appropriate miniature military equipment. There was no Cobra, no high tech weapons, no tiny little weirdly dressed action figures I didn't recognize. Just great big soldier dolls that looked like real soldiers, and every one of them had a scar on their cheek, like a signature to show that they were a real G.I. Joe. So no, I probably won't be seeing this picture.
I remember those figs too. G.I. Joe was a character...not an organization. Joe had almost an afro, and a beard and moustache. And one variant of G.I. Joe had "kung fu grip".

Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

One of the things I always thought was wrong about G.I. Joe, the cartoon series... no matter how many times COBRA would shoot down a jet, there would ALWAYS be a parachute. Which to my mind, is like playing on the school yard, and claiming that you are the one kid who is indestructable.

It's just awful, dishonest storytelling. You fight... and people get hurt and die. Saying otherwise is just a horrid lie.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
One of the things I always thought was wrong about G.I. Joe, the cartoon series... no matter how many times COBRA would shoot down a jet, there would ALWAYS be a parachute. Which to my mind, is like playing on the school yard, and claiming that you are the one kid who is indestructable.

It's just awful, dishonest storytelling. You fight... and people get hurt and die. Saying otherwise is just a horrid lie.
There's a new animated web series that is supposed to support the new upcoming movie, and there apparently will be fatalities in it. According to the reports I've read, this animated web series is supposed to be more mature themed.

G.I. Joe (ever since its original inception in the 60's/70's) was meant for kids. Little kids liked to play war, and of course, little kids in war are immortal (LOL!).

I remember when my friends and I used to play war (sans G.I. Joe stuff), there was always this one kid who made sure that when he made gun sounds, he shouted his sound effects louder than anyone else so that he couldn't hear any "return fire" and thus claim that no one else was firing at him....therefore, he couldn't die, or take his hits. LMAO!

Unfortunately, as for the G.I. Joe cartoons, well...as per standards and practices at the time, obviously cartoon characters were not allowed to suffer fatalities, at least, not in the amount that an ongoing war on terror would yield.

However, there was at least one moment of mild bloodshed. One character took a punch to the nose, and suffered a nosebleed...after which he decked the COBRA officer who cracked him.

Now, there was a Saturday morning cartoon back in the 90's on USA Channel called "Wing Commander Academy" (which featured voice actors who played in the video games Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV....Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, Malcolm McDowell), and it did have fatalities....quite frequently. Obviously, standards and practices have changed.

Also, the Superman/Batman, Justice League daily/weekly animated series from the 90's onward have had fatalities depicted on their shows.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Captain

I used to have a G I Joe doll when I was 7. Yes back then they were the size of Barbie dolls! I loved that doll. I have a specific story about the GI Joe, as My parents were having severe martial problems back then, My Dad left for work the moring of my 7th birthday, he told me he would be home with my brand new GI Joe doll when he got off work. He never came home. My Dad left my Mom that day and never came back! I didn't see him for years after that. The good part is, after my Mom realized he wasn't coming back, she got the money from her brother, and went and bought me a doll. Still wasn't the same. I remember we were very poor in that time, so that doll meant alot for my Mom to go buy it. Wow! what a sad story, but true! Since that time, I was able to reconcile with him, and I got to talk with him and forgive him for walking out on me my Mom and my 3 sisters. So, it actually turned out ok.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I used to have a G I Joe doll when I was 7. Yes back then they were the size of Barbie dolls! I loved that doll. I have a specific story about the GI Joe, as My parents were having severe martial problems back then, My Dad left for work the moring of my 7th birthday, he told me he would be home with my brand new GI Joe doll when he got off work. He never came home. My Dad left my Mom that day and never came back! I didn't see him for years after that. The good part is, after my Mom realized he wasn't coming back, she got the money from her brother, and went and bought me a doll. Still wasn't the same. I remember we were very poor in that time, so that doll meant alot for my Mom to go buy it. Wow! what a sad story, but true! Since that time, I was able to reconcile with him, and I got to talk with him and forgive him for walking out on me my Mom and my 3 sisters. So, it actually turned out ok.
I am glad you were able to reconcile that. A parent walking out on their family is a tough scenario to put it mildly.