The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If it was an option would you cryogenically freeze an unborn baby?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
Assuming you could safely revive it and continue a pregnancy later in life when it was a more convenient time for you/your family? Kind of just put it 'on hold' if need be? This is a technology that I think would will be common place in the future and honestly I'm surprised we've never seen this in any of the Star Treks... ?
The future?!?

Embryos can be frozen now between conception and 8 weeks for a period of up to ten years.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
The future?!?

Embryos can be frozen now between conception and 8 weeks for a period of up to ten years.
And as it works right now, if anything happens to either/both parents, then it is left to any remaining family members, what to do with the embryo...but it seem to me, for future purposes, that for people in High risk occupations, this would almost become a requirement...so the a widow, or widower, could then arrange for the birth when able to take care of the baby. Say the Mother was halfway through pregnancy, and something happened...if you could freeze the fetus, even temporarily,(or keep it in stasis) then re-implant later, back to the mother, or if necessary, to a willing host-mother, that would seem to be an acceptable option, versus letting the baby die. right now, the ethical questions are still hot topics...but I think that in the future, it would be seen as a last resort option, and most people would be responsible enough to take their contraceptives, until they wanted children...especially if on a ship, since most ships are not designed to have children on board, even getting pregnant while on board would mean automatic transfer off-ship to a planet based posting, and bye-bye Starfleet Career.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Admiral

See...I don't think embryos would be frozen because some one was in a high risk job. I would think Arthur Clarke got it right when he said that those who worked in space would have their eggs or sperm frozen for future use before going on their first long assignment. Embryos would be created from the frozen eggs and sperm at the request of the crew members.

We are about 99.9% able to do this consistently now...so, it's not even really science fiction, it's more like proof that science fiction of the past could accurately predict what would happen.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
See...I don't think embryos would be frozen because some one was in a high risk job. I would think Arthur Clarke got it right when he said that those who worked in space would have their eggs or sperm frozen for future use before going on their first long assignment. Embryos would be created from the frozen eggs and sperm at the request of the crew members.

We are about 99.9% able to do this consistently now...so, it's not even really science fiction, it's more like proof that science fiction of the past could accurately predict what would happen.
Maybe not for Partners of the same species...but what about hybrids? Like Spock? If two people from species just different enough to make it necessary to have medical help to have children got married, like Sarek and Amanda, what then?

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!