The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Opinions of The Jurassic Park Series
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
I quite liked watching the movies. (okay #3 maybe not so much) I guess they're all right if you watch them pretty much for what they are.

Still amuses me to see that sauropod eating gum trees at the beginning of Jurassic Park (eucalyptus, to you foreign types) especially since a) broad leafed trees didn't exist at the time, and b) gums are actually quite toxic.
Yeah, they really cut down in the movie from what was in the book. In the book they actually talk a lot about problem you posed. Maybe not that one specifically. But the whole idea of dinosaurs eating plants from now was one of the problems that lead to Jurassic Park's downfall. They talk a little bit about it in the movie, like one or two lines of dialogue, but not as extensively as they do in the book.

The real unbelievable thing, even in book, is the ammount of amber encased prehistoric insects they were able to find. In reality it's not that simple. You'd have first find amber, then find amber with a prehistoric blood sucking insect in it, then be sure that the insect sucked the blood of a dinosaur, even then the possibility that you'd find a whole zoo of variety of dinosaurs they way they did in Jurassic Park, is extremely low. It's a huge gamble that's destined to fail.

Still, Crichton did a good job of making it sound believable like it really could happen.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Still, Crichton did a good job of making it sound believable like it really could happen.
The mark of a good popular writer. And if they can keep you from asking too many questions until your out the cinema, the mark of a good director as well.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Damnit Jim, I am a movie and not biology class!

Even in the best movies, cars explode, although after decades of movie history with exploding automobiles, everyone knows that cars simply crash and perhaps burn out but don't explode. Yet blockbusters needs some BOOMs, and who cares about the laws of physics?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I never read the books so can only comment on the films.

The first one is by far the best - the slow build up to the reveal, the expert handling of the action sequences (the rain-soaked build up, the lamb, the T-Rex, the cars being crushed with the kids inside etc), and packs a couple of good sequences. I always felt it ended a bit abruptly - with just Richard Attenborough finding a Jeep and then the helicopter being there.

The second suffers from some bloating and 'how can...?' style questions, but still has some tense parts (I mean, Julianne Moore on the cracking glass panel?), I even kinda like the San Diego stuff and the dock. It is a bit silly, but I still enjoy it.

The third is just too brief and doesn't really have a lot of memorable moments. I've only seen it about twice, I think.
I agree with everything you mentioned. For me, the problem with the second one is that I loved it when it first came out and it hasn't aged well since that time. I just can't get into it anymore, unlike the first one which I can watch anytime. The third one was a running joke around my house as the shortest movie ever. We had the longest, slowest movie ever that same year with Pearl Harbor and then we had Jurassic Park III to be the complete opposite. I remember sitting in the theater back in 2001 thinking how in the hell can a Jurassic Park movie be an hour and a half long? Shocked my dad didn't demand his money back...
Old 04-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaldo View Post
The first movie is one of my all-time favorite films. I recently saw it in a theater for the first time. Crazy awesome. The second two are alright, but nowhere near as good as the first. All of the rumors I've heard about the upcoming fourth film make me feel like the canon-addicts must feel about Trek The books are also on my favorite book list, especially The Lost World.
Except for the canon-addict Trek thing, I pretty much feel the same way about the Jurassic Park series. What I don't like about them is that they basically portray dinosaurs as something that mankind couldn't control, believe me, humans are far more dangerous than dinosaurs ever were. I believe if we could bring them back, we should, in a controlled experiment in a controlled environment. All dinosaurs weren't huge (some were downright tiny) and a large percentage of them were vegetarians. As far as Theropods (the ones with pointy teeth that ate each other, T-Rex, Allosaurus and the like) go, you could probably learn everything you needed to know about them from a smaller species like Compsognathus or Ornitholestes. You don't have to clone a Tyrannosaurus or a Giganotosaurus. Even if one of the big boys were cloned, we have plenty of technology that would keep them from running a King Kong style rampage easily. That scenario simply would not happen. And you don't have to clone an entire island of them either, a few select examples of each type should be more than enough to learn what we want to know about them. Of course, it's impossible to accomplish, but I wish it weren't.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

I certainly liked the first the best, but it was fun to watch a T-Rex stomp through part of my hometown in the 2nd film.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

#3 had parts from both books. The Big bird cage was in the #1 book