The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should Captain Pike die (or be impaled) in this film???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I think Spok may be an instructor. But that doesn't matter. Talos IV never happened in the Abramsverse. We will never hear a word about it. Ever. When we firts see the Abramsprise in orbit, it;s the MAIDEN voyage of the ship. Unless Capt. Pike went to Talos in another ship, we'll never hear a word about it. After what I have heard from people who have seen the movie, there is no reason to think that anything we remember from the original series will ever happen in this new universe version of Star Trek. There is no more canon except the Abrams canon. The original is out the window forever. Live with it. I'll have to. So should everybody else.
In the words of Sisko; 'I can live with it'.

Quote:
JJ Abrams and all the writers LIED to us. Sorry, but it's true. They said that the movie respects canon. It doesn't. It completely disregards what has come before and writes its own canon from the very start. We were severely misled. By "we", I mean the real fans of TOS. Those of us who actually respect the continuity of the fictional Star Trek universe. Not the ones who claim to be fans and are perfectly okay with the unspeakable things that are going to happen in this movie.

Just so you know, I've had a few glasses of Kendall Jackson. So my comments may be a little tainted by liquid courage. So I appoligize.

But I'm pi$$ed he frak off with JJ and all his cohorts. They have basically re-written the last 43 years of Star Trek. With one single event, the entire history of every episode of every series and every single movie has been essentially erased from existence.

I know my DVD's won't explode. But that's not the point. The events depicted on said DVD's won't have any meaning since those events could not have happende due to this movie.

And I know, alternate universe/timeline/WTFever. Doesn't matter. It's a reboot. So what happened before no longer matters. The point is that JJ and co. lied to us when they said they were adhering to canon and that htis movie would respect said canon. It most definitely does NOT respect what came before in any way shape or form. And I am extremely angered by this. So there it is.
Yet, despite the events in question - it hasn't stopped the fans in Texas giving it a great reception. Giving it standing ovations, even. If they saw what you say they saw - where was the angry backlash? The attacks on Abrams? I, mean - he was there at the time. And he had an audience of hardcore Trekkers. Why has no-one here who has reported seeing the film saying that it doesn't respect canon or continuity? Why are some saying it really does? Why have the reviews been roundly positive (again, even from others who are hard TOS fans).

I find that hard to reconcile with this unforgiveable event if it happens the way you say it does.

Quote:
Actually, until just a couple of days ago, I was really looking foreward to seeing this film. Then I got some info from some people who have seen it and now I am very angry. They lied. Plain and simple. Some things happen in this movie that should never have happened in any iteration of the Star Trek universe. And tha fact that JJ abrams said, with a straight face, that they were respecting the history an continuity of TOS and that this movie would fit in with what came before simply disgusts me. That was a complete and utter balled faced lie. No other way to say it.
See above.

Again that's your definition of what 'should' be happening. Not anyone else's. I have seen and heard nothing to suggest any outright lies told by anyone involved in the film.

It's your right to go and see it - but if hearing this stuff is this painful and anger-inducing for you, I can't imagine how actually seeing it will make it any easier to bear.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Commander

*I find that hard to reconcile with this unforgiveable event if it happens the way you say it does.*
Seriously, it was no secret that previous "canon" would last and be truly relevant for all of about 1 minute (a minute too long if I were asked).

It's a whole new ballgame Jimmy-boy.

Not understanding this (then or now) is equivalent to placing your head in the sand, much like Trek has done for a couple of decades now.

For the Trek navel-gazers, how's that beachfront view workin' for ya?

*the entire history of every episode of every series and every single movie has been essentially erased from existence.*
'I can live with it'

Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Vice Admiral

It won't make it any easier. But it does have the Star Trek name on it. So since I've seen every single episode of every single Trek series and all the movies several times. It would not be right for me to miss one just because I'm pi$$ed at the people who created it.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant

As long as they don't stick him in a little, stupid "Pike mobile" like the series, I will be happy. If he has to have a vehicle--give him something anti-grav, with a computer that talks for him. Even Stephen Hawking has something better than what's in the original series for cryin' out loud!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
It won't make it any easier. But it does have the Star Trek name on it. So since I've seen every single episode of every single Trek series and all the movies several times. It would not be right for me to miss one just because I'm pi$$ed at the people who created it.

Group hug for Zim!!!! He needs one bad . . . .
Old 04-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
Group hug for Zim!!!! He needs one bad . . . .
Man, I love this forum!

I can be bitter, angry and b****y and moany, and just a regular pain in the buttocks to everybody, and yet I still get a group hug. Thanks man. I know there was a pinch of sarcasm there, but it's the thought that counts!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Man, I love this forum!

I can be bitter, angry and b****y and moany, and just a regular pain in the buttocks to everybody, and yet I still get a group hug. Thanks man. I know there was a pinch of sarcasm there, but it's the thought that counts!
haha we're all fans here Zim. We fight each other tooth and nail, but in the end we all love Trek in some form or another. Life would be awfully boring around here without ya!
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.