The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is it an alternate timeline or universe?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does the movie take place in alternate timeline or universe?
Alternate timeline (Nero messes with the main universe's timeline) 25 62.50%
Alternate universe (Nero goes to a separate universe's past like In a Mirror Darkly) 11 27.50%
Other (explain what you think it is) 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
You have #4 already?
yeah, it came out on itunes yesterday.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Federation Councillor

I went with alternate timeline.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I voted for "other" - simply because I couldn't decide between these two options and both leave a lot in the open. In both points that would also mean - no blackhole was created but a form of a wormhole. I'm too much in science to decide.

For more explanations I will quote myself, just because I don't want to write it down again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef* View Post
Star Trek for me was ever about Science too. Not only fiction, but the science. It is influencing and so there are some points I'm struggling with in this whole discussion about timelines and universes.

Nobody knows if there are really these singularitiys in our universe, known as black holes, but they are scientifically given as fakt and proven with lensing effects and other things. Okay - given they exist, and the gravimetrical pull exists also, which is a logical conclusion ...

... Nobody ever traveled into, and no one through such a beastie. Noboy we know of.

Spock created one, Neros Narada is pulled into. Then, clearly after Nero, Spocks Jellyfish ist pulled into the Singularity, too. Picard and Data do a little philosophy about Spock knew and go on.

At this point we were left with "...to be continued in the Movie."

Well ...

... all these speaking and discussion about timelines is nice and fascinating, but do we know what really happens with the Narada and the Jellyfish?

Nowhere is said something about where Spock or Nero gets out, how and where and nowhere is said something about the effects of singularitys, besides that they are dangerous beasties. It's a bit like an unknown variable in a mathematical formula.

All these Argumentation sounds more for a Wormhole, than a black hole. Remember the one in Voyager, which leads into the past?

Okay - and if this Singularity Spock created pulls all destruction in, including Jellyfish and Narada ... it would be illogical to conclude, that only the Jellyfish and the Narada escape to perhaps another Universe, another big bang, another **** (insert speculation where it will lead).

But all the rubble, things, partikels etc. etc. not? All stays fine inside, because of the gravity, time itself stays inside, as we know since Einstein. Just the Jellyfish and the Narada comes out again - at another place another time, another side? Which side? And only because Narada and Jellyfish escape, it wont close - will it?

Not a hole, a black hole tunnel in fact?

Come on ...

The beginning alone will for me/TOS Fan sind decades be very exciting. The Science alone "What happened?"

Furthermore - if Jellyfish and Narada manage to get through in one piece - onther can do so, too. Perhaps Data and Geordi do some thinking about this possibility?

Okay, I don't want to bore you to death ... but I for myself don't expect that they just simply made a timejump over a few 100 years - there has to be more about this. Minimal another Universe or the startingpoint of a another complete branch in the very huge Tree of Universes, timelines and life we so dearly speculate about.

Next question - are they healthy after their passage? In one piece? The hobus black hole is deep into romulan territory, the speculated exit too? Oh my ...

.. theres a lot open for clarification, before I even am satisfied to watch little Kirk make his stuntdrive

I love Trek and with all these speculations and questions about "what could be" its back to life again - I hope Spock will give the scientific answers, that I can hold on and Bones will add his human moral and Kirk his human gut ... as it always was.
So, I have bored you enough and am really curious what the authors have cooked from these options. Yay, 6th May I'm coming.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef* View Post
I voted for "other" - simply because I couldn't decide between these two options and both leave a lot in the open.
I voted the same for the same basic reason. It's all the same to me, really.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I voted other because I think it could be both. I explained it here from another thread

--->

Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Midshipman

I voted other as well. As i've already mentioned in a previous thread. From an article by Bob Orci that specifically dealt with canon, to me it felt like they were saying that despite some of the minor changes that happen in the movie that it ends up making the same people.. the same characters... and that it could fit in the timeline that we know and love.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Rear Admiral

If the events in the finale of the Countdown comic are to be taken seriously, then it looks more and more like Spock and Nero got tossed not only back through time but also into a parallel universe, IMO.

The end result, though, would remain the same--a brand new continuity for this and future Trek movies to play in...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Archer View Post
Some trekkies sure have nerve about their god-a-like stupid canon or stupid timeline theory so why do you care about stupid things like this?. It's just a movie nothing more
Lol some trekkies have such nerve about their troll like posts, stupid forum, stupid thread why do you care about this stupid place, Its just a Star Trek forum nothing more...

Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Im no troll, i'm just a regular guy whos been lurking here around here liek 1 year. Next month will be the month when all basement dwellers dream will be shattered by Star Trek XI.
Charming

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
But its true
Well that makes more sense as an answer than what you just changed it from.

But go ahead and be rude about people here. Probably not a lot will lose sleep.

courtesy of Saquist