The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orginal Timeline
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Read STC4
STC4 ending

COOL! Since I haven't had much success getting STC, I appreciate the spoliers you provide, my friend. And to give my opinion to stfanboy's question, IMO, yes, why wouldn't it. It's an alternate timeline. So, for our ST brothers and sisters that like the look of the TOS ship and those that came afterwards, it's all good. For those, like myself, who welcome change to bring in young blood, this new timeline has me interested in Trek in a way that I haven't been in a long time!

It is the best of both worlds!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Admiral

or rather it is the best of both timelines!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
According to Bob Orci's explaination of the events taking place, the TOS/TNG timeline will continue to exist in its original state unaffected by Nero's interference. Nero's attempts to alter history will alter the history of the alternate timeline he enters, branching a new timeline off the original. Whatever changes Nero effects in the alternate timeline will exist in that timeline only, and will not affect the original TOS/TNG timeline from which it branched. That is, according to Orci and the theory of Quantum Mechanics and multiverses.

I kind of like this idea. I know it pretty much makes everything that happens in this movie pointless since we will not be dealing with the characters that we know. Rather, we are seeing the development of alternate versions of these same characters. The fact that they are in an alternate timeline means that they may not devolp, or evolve into the same characters we have been used to dealing with for the past 40 years. The reason I like Orci's approach is that it allows this new, radically different version of Star Trek to exist while allowing the original, or "real" Star Trek to exist along side it unaltered. That way, I don't have to get so pi$$ed off every time I have to look at the iBridge or that absolutely horrid Abramsprise. Because I know that my lovely Enterprise and her beautiful bridge are still going strong in the "real" timeline. Thank you. That is all.
Oy vey!
I agree with my crazy friend...except the part about the "real" timeline. I prefer to call it the original time line.

Don't make me start playing the clarinet, Zim!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Star Trek for me was ever about Science too. Not only fiction, but the science. It is influencing and so there are some points I'm struggling with in this whole discussion about timelines and universes.

Nobody knows if there are really these singularitiys in our universe, known as black holes, but they are scientifically given as fakt and proven with lensing effects and other things. Okay - given they exist, and the gravimetrical pull exists also, which is a logical conclusion ...

... Nobody ever traveled into, and no one through such a beastie. Noboy we know of.

Spock created one, Neros Narada is pulled into. Then, clearly after Nero, Spocks Jellyfish ist pulled into the Singularity, too. Picard and Data do a little philosophy about Spock knew and go on.

At this point we were left with "...to be continued in the Movie."

Well ...

... all these speaking and discussion about timelines is nice and fascinating, but do we know what really happens with the Narada and the Jellyfish?

Nowhere is said something about where Spock or Nero gets out, how and where and nowhere is said something about the effects of singularitys, besides that they are dangerous beasties. It's a bit like an unknown variable in a mathematical formula.

All these Argumentation sounds more for a Wormhole, than a black hole. Remember the one in Voyager, which leads into the past?

Okay - and if this Singularity Spock created pulls all destruction in, including Jellyfish and Narada ... it would be illogical to conclude, that only the Jellyfish and the Narada escape to perhaps another Universe, another big bang, another **** (insert speculation where it will lead).

But all the rubble, things, partikels etc. etc. not? All stays fine inside, because of the gravity, time itself stays inside, as we know since Einstein. Just the Jellyfish and the Narada comes out again - at another place another time, another side? Which side? And only because Narada and Jellyfish escape, it wont close - will it?

Not a hole, a black hole tunnel in fact?

Come on ...

The beginning alone will for me/TOS Fan sind decades be very exciting. The Science alone "What happened?"

Furthermore - if Jellyfish and Narada manage to get through in one piece - onther can do so, too. Perhaps Data and Geordi do some thinking about this possibility?

Okay, I don't want to bore you to death ... but I for myself don't expect that they just simply made a timejump over a few 100 years - there has to be more about this. Minimal another Universe or the startingpoint of a another complete branch in the very huge Tree of Universes, timelines and life we so dearly speculate about.

Next question - are they healthy after their passage? In one piece? The hobus black hole is deep into romulan territory, the speculated exit too? Oh my ...

.. theres a lot open for clarification, before I even am satisfied to watch little Kirk make his stuntdrive

I love Trek and with all these speculations and questions about "what could be" its back to life again - I hope Spock will give the scientific answers, that I can hold on and Bones will add his human moral and Kirk his human gut ... as it always was.

Last edited by Stef* : 04-02-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
COOL! Since I haven't had much success getting STC, . . .
You can order the entire trade paperback collection now, of course. Amazon and a bunch of other outlets will deliver.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!