The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > so in this 'altered' time line what is Starfleet's level of technology?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Ensign

Default so in this 'altered' time line what is Starfleet's level of technology?

A rhetorical question I know. After the attack on the Kelvin (which I assume was a new'ish and state of the art ship at the time and apparently pretty well armed) by Nero I am wondering where Starfleet's tech level is compared to the original time line. I am guessing pretty close to what it was in TMP and the other TOS movies or possibly even more advanced. It sure would appear that the Enterprise in this time line is built for speed and to shrug off a lot of punishment.. thoughts?

Drew
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Rear Admiral

If the toys are any indication, the communicators now have video capability, so it's one step up from anything in the original 23rd- and 24th-Centuries.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Ensign

'hey guys now that Kelvin has been attacked let's add some of that 21st century video technology to our communicators.."
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatic7 View Post
'hey guys now that Kelvin has been attacked let's add some of that 21st century video technology to our communicators.."
HA!!!
Snap.
Nice work
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Lieutenant

hey guys you know those old tricorders we used? well now that we've been attacked lets ad some late 20th century touch screen technology.

yeah its a copy cat but sthu. I'm just glad the tech doesn't look like it came from my great-grandfathers basement.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatic7 View Post
Nice. Is that supposed to be the Starfleet engineers talking, or the ST09 writers and production designer?

I don't think the technology is any different whatsoever. We're just seeing it through a sharper looking glass this time.

Or to flip the question around: if the new movie didn't take place in an "alternate timeline" (has anybody besides Bob Orci -during that one interview- asserted this?), then would we be seeing replicated sets from the original series?

[Edit: it was a rhetorical question ]

Last edited by samwiseb : 03-12-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Or to flip the question around: if the new movie didn't take place in an "alternate timeline" (has anybody besides Bob Orci -during that one interview- asserted this?), then would we be seeing replicated sets from the original series?
Nope. The sets would have been changed anyway because the original TOS bridge design was made for television and would have looked incredibly cramped on the big screen. Even the TNG bridge set had to be altered for Generations because it looked too small...

IMO, the only TV bridge set that could have survived a total transition to the big screen intact was the ENT bridge set because it was made for widescreen from the start...