The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Trailer 3 has been altered...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Don't get me wrong. I'm not critizing Zoe at all. She is beautiful and strong and just what I'd want for Uhura. All the cast is fantastic. Really. I can't think of anyone I'd replace with any other actor.

I was just a little concerned about the dialogue. Writing dialogue is tricky. Has to sound both original and familiar. I do think Uhura would say something like that line "I hope you know what you're doing." She's never been fearful to speak her mind. I'm just a bit worried that the movie might have too many cliche's. TOS had some of the best dialogue ever written for TV. That might be asking too much.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
The scene where Kirk nods and hold his hand up and Uhura smiles is aboard the shuttlecraft.
That scene is probably from the shuttlecraft ride to the Academy. Kirk is wearing the same clothes is is when we saw the scene from the Super Bowl trailer (Leonard McCoy.....Jim Kirk (tip of the flask)).

Trailers don't necessarily show the events of the movie in order...

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfiddle View Post
The part where Uhura says to Kirk, "I hope you know what you're doing" has been removed. I wonder why?
????
I must have never seen the original trailer.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Actually, one of them is the UK version, (the one with the extra dialouge) and the one with it is removed is the US version.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Simply. The line casts doubt on Kirk. That's a negative aspect that should not have been in the trailer in the first place.
Meh, if that was Shatner's Kirk he'd just grin and say "No, but we're doing it anyway."
Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

I haven't seen this alternate version, but I would have no problem with such a line of dialogue for a couple reasons:

1) If Kirk's character cannot withstand even a simple comment of challenge or questioning, that he'll be a very weak commander of a ship and crew. Sticks and stones... Kirk can take more than a few words pointed his way.

2) Given Kirk's character history and command personality, it makes total sense to me that his decisions would be 'cutting edge' and out ahead of others' comfort zones. To be Kirk, he has to make decisions which are risky and uncertain in their outcome -- how many times has he displayed just that in TOS alone? One can't boldly go forward without being ahead of the crowd, or the consensus.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!