The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon question here...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pike View Post
This almost certainly will be the last Star Trek feature film. Viewership has dropped off in recent years. People have become pessimistic about the future, and Star Trek was a very optimistic view. People find that optimism naive and annoying now. The first sign of trouble was dropping "Star Trek" from the title of "Enterprise." The second sign was the original general release date for ST XI being moved from December 2008 to May 2009. Clearly, the studio wasn't sure how this movie would do, but they were reasonably certain it would do well enough to justify making the movie. They are trying to resuscitate "The Franchise," as it was called at Paramount, but I think this definitely will be the final Star Trek feature film for general theatrical release. Has anyone heard about a Star Trek television project that I first heard about in 1997 tentatively titled, "The Adventures of Capt. Sulu"?
Listen MR.-

This being the 'last Star Trek feature' is one of the least certain things I can think of. Even if its not sucsessful eventually it'll be back. Its been proven several times over STAR TRK LIVES! The characters are iconic not unlike Robin Hood or Superman or MIckey Mouse orSherlock Holmes. Trek's life-of-its-own has and will perservere. It's popularity, yes, has waxed and waned and could one day go into hibernation but that's not about to happen IMO because...

the new film is going to be huge!!! Hopefully (and I believe) Star Trek is about to go where it hasn't before. With a quality of production and characterization and portrayal of our friends the intepid crew of the E that's superior to everything that's come before. A new depiction of the Trek universe that's at the once both more realistic and more fantastic. New, exciting, entertaining, satisfying TREK.

You predict an end. I foresee a renaissance. I hope I'm right

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
This almost certainly will be the last Star Trek feature film. Viewership has dropped off in recent years. People have become pessimistic about the future, and Star Trek was a very optimistic view. People find that optimism naive and annoying now. The first sign of trouble was dropping "Star Trek" from the title of "Enterprise." The second sign was the original general release date for ST XI being moved from December 2008 to May 2009. Clearly, the studio wasn't sure how this movie would do, but they were reasonably certain it would do well enough to justify making the movie. They are trying to resuscitate "The Franchise," as it was called at Paramount, but I think this definitely will be the final Star Trek feature film for general theatrical release. Has anyone heard about a Star Trek television project that I first heard about in 1997 tentatively titled, "The Adventures of Capt. Sulu"?
The reason they moved the film to May is because they think that it is GOING TO DO WELL, as there is invariably more competition in the Summertime!!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Mr Pike,
I truly hope that your wrong about the attendance for this new film. But I do see your point about the viewership dropping off. But I truly think this film will add more fans to the base of Star Trek, and that it will continue on for many more years to come.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:

Mr Pike, I appreciate your opinion, but to assume that this film is going to be the last theatrical release of Star Trek is, in itself, naive. Batman and Robin was horrendous...and they took a few years off and decided to go back and start over. Superman Returns didn't do as well as they had hoped, so they are planning on starting over the Superman franchise.

Hence, Star Trek: Nemesis was the first official Star Trek film to absolutely "flop" ie not make it's money back at the box office, and it was due to many factors, but they gave it a couple years, and decided to "go back to the beginning" with a new team at the helm.

As to people finding optimism about the future "naive and annoying", when things are falling apart, and you're losing hope for the future, that is precisely when you need someone to come forward and say, "You know what, all these folks screaming 'The End is Near' are full of bunk. Things will get better and life will go on." Because once the society loses hope...that's when it stops trying, and when it stops trying...that's when it kills itself.

Do I think we'll see the future as portrayed by Star Trek...not really. But it's a goal to shoot for, and you never know how far you can go until you try.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
The Adventures of Capt. Sulu? Star Trek is finished? I have never heard of either one of these statements. The only thing I have heard is that this is the year that it is going to be good to be a Star Trek fan! I am convinced that you posted all this to try and get some conversation going. You are surely joking. Star Trek started to wane in the late 90s/early 2000s. I feel Berman and co. flooded the market with too much Trek. I personally feel that Nemesis, and Star Trek Enterprise were top quality productions, especially season 4 of Ent. That said, since it has been a few years since Ent, and more years since Nemesis, the world is ready for a revival of STAR TREK!!! Hearing the hoopla over the highly anticipated new movie, not to mention Playmates have started producing new toys, and Burger King is jumping on the band wagon! It seems this is a "comeback" of Star Trek, not to mention the new cologne, Pon Farr and Tiberius. Come on brother, this isn't the end, this is the BEGINNING!!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Commander

Quote:
Almost certainly? Huh...someone should tell the cast because they're signed to a multi-picture deal, I believe.

The movie wasn't pushed back to May because the studio wasn't sure how it would do. The movie was pushed back due to last year's strike by writers. Paramount had a gap in their release schedule and pushed Star Trek back to cover it. That's all. The thing is, this may release is a BIGGER deal than one at Christmas. Paramount is STARTING their summer movie season with Star Trek. Flagship position, if you will--so this kind of blows your theory out of the water.

There was no serious treatment of a Sulu series. It was rumored, but in 1997, the plan was for DS9 to run its course and Voyager to become the flagship show when DS9 went off the air.

This won't be the last Star Trek film for a while and the buzz the new trailer has gotten is a good sign that people are ready for and want to see this film.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubernck21 View Post
So, I have heard around the way, that ST 11 will be about the FIRST Enterprise...but what about "Star Trek: Enterprise"? Or will this just be the first NCC-1701 version of the Enterprise.

Personally, I just want Star Trek: Enerprise and TNG to come back.
...and with that question allow me to welcome you to the Fray, we'll thank you later.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

This films about Kirk's beginnings not Archers. I'm sure if they wanted to rehash him they'll do it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

It going to be more about Kirk than I previously knew.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Admiral

The movie has nothing to do with the first starship named Enterprise.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!