The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Forbidden Planet Remake in Works...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should they or shouldn't they remake it?
Yes, they should remake it 7 36.84%
No, they should not remake it 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Commander

They shouldn' do this. The re-make of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was horrible, the ideals of the original were skewed and it's message made unclear. If this is the way classic sci-fi is treated, merely for the sake of bringing it "up to date", then classic sci-fi films should be left alone and watched in their original form, a form in which they can tell their story the way it was originally intended. John Carpenter's "The Thing" is a classic example of this. It was a flashy, effects driven, ticket selling, monster movie that amazed us (at the time) and scared us and entertained us, but unlike it's predecessor, forgot to remind us to "Watch The Skies", because whatever comes out of them, might not be as friendly as E.T. or as cooperative or logical as Mr. Spock. Yeah, I know, the bad alien was there, but when he peels off the head of a host human and grows spider legs and walks off, all you can think about is who's real, who's not, and who will make it out alive. That film was more like "Die Hard" in the Arctic. "Independence Day" did a better job of re-telling that tale than Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" did.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
And Susan Oliver was in both episodes! Such a beautiful woman!
That's another Star Trek coincidence...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
Roddy McDowell!
Yes. Now to my knowledge he's never appeared in any Star Trek epsiodes or movies. Yet he appeared in just about every other Science Fiction series around the same time as TOS and many others since.

That begs the question why?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Wouldn't it be hysterical if the Forbidden Planet remake ended up looking more like TOS than STXI does?

It would...LOL
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Lieutenant

TOS has an episode that is basically a rehash of The Forbidden Planet. I actually like the modern 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' a lot more than I did with the original. I always thought that the original actor was so wooden that in comparison even Keanu Reeves in the new film seems charismatic. The whole nuclear aspect of the original wouldn't have worked today - it just is no longer the most pressing danger to our civilization. All in all The Day the Earth Stood Still was a much better remake than War of the Worlds (a crap film that was a remake of a crap film that shared little with the Brilliant novel beynd the title).

In all honesty I don't see that the concept of Forbidden Planet is anymore dated to the 1950s than Trek is to the 1960s. Unlike many 1950s sci fi this is not a bug eyed monster comes to Earth, threatens the little children and gets defeated by the all american hero film, Forbidden Planet is set in the Future with an alien planet and a star ship. As I have said it could be Trek, just change the shape of the star ship and the style of the uniforms.

Also it is years since I have caught Forbidden Planet on TV in the UK and for some reason it does not seem to be available in Region 2 DVD! So I welcome the remake as it may well stimulate a re-release of what must be the best pre-Star Trek sci fi movie of all time on DVD, or at least encourage one of the TV stations to show it again.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Captain

Cool

Trek similarities:

1) The ship in Forbidden Planet is the United Planets Cruiser C-57D.

2) The ship's course is controlled by the Astrogator.

3) The ship's doctor has a major role in the crew's (especially the Captain's) well being.

4) The script of Forbidden Planet, like many TOS episodes, is based on Shakespeare.

5) The Captain gets the girl.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant

Well i just hope they do a better Job of a new Robby the Robot than they did with the new Gort. That was aweful and a huge let down. Im not against a new version of this film but given the other remakes weve seen im not holding my breath. The law of averages however means that sooner or later they must do a good job sooner or later. fingers crossed.

starbase Britain
Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
TOS has an episode that is basically a rehash of The Forbidden Planet. I actually like the modern 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' a lot more than I did with the original. I always thought that the original actor was so wooden that in comparison even Keanu Reeves in the new film seems charismatic. The whole nuclear aspect of the original wouldn't have worked today - it just is no longer the most pressing danger to our civilization. All in all The Day the Earth Stood Still was a much better remake than War of the Worlds (a crap film that was a remake of a crap film that shared little with the Brilliant novel beynd the title).

In all honesty I don't see that the concept of Forbidden Planet is anymore dated to the 1950s than Trek is to the 1960s. Unlike many 1950s sci fi this is not a bug eyed monster comes to Earth, threatens the little children and gets defeated by the all american hero film, Forbidden Planet is set in the Future with an alien planet and a star ship. As I have said it could be Trek, just change the shape of the star ship and the style of the uniforms.

Also it is years since I have caught Forbidden Planet on TV in the UK and for some reason it does not seem to be available in Region 2 DVD! So I welcome the remake as it may well stimulate a re-release of what must be the best pre-Star Trek sci fi movie of all time on DVD, or at least encourage one of the TV stations to show it again.
I have a region 2 copy of the special edition so unless it's been deleted you should be able to find a copy and I'm sure I bought mine within the last 18 months. If not in stores then online.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
Well i just hope they do a better Job of a new Robby the Robot than they did with the new Gort. That was aweful and a huge let down. Im not against a new version of this film but given the other remakes weve seen im not holding my breath. The law of averages however means that sooner or later they must do a good job sooner or later. fingers crossed.

starbase Britain
There's no way they CAN'T mess up the Robot - if anything screams 1950s it's Robbie the Robot.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
There's no way they CAN'T mess up the Robot - if anything screams 1950s it's Robbie the Robot.
I have to disagree on that I think the design still holds it own even after all these years!