The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Quotes within Quotes?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Quotes within Quotes?

Something I've been noticing with this software is when you're quoting someone who quoted someone else, the first quote isn't included in the post. What I mean is say I posted something, someone quoted me, and then when I quoted them back my original post is taken out. Was this a optional thing for this unique board, or is this a VBulletin feature across the board? I was just curious.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant

And you can quote me on that!!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Rear Admiral

I think that so done for those that quote others waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much. It really is not needed.

It is difficult to read a post when all it contains is a bunch of other peoples quotes. All people have to do is either quote the original person, or the last person. It's not that hard to tell what's going on.
The startrek.com message board looks very trashed when people do that.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalak301 View Post
Something I've been noticing with this software is when you're quoting someone who quoted someone else, the first quote isn't included in the post.
Good!

I hate having to wade through reams of pre-quoted material every time two people decide to have a "conversation" in the middle of a thread. It's exhausting!

(Don't mind conversations, per se, and had quite a few good ones myself at times -- but I love it how people here can't begin their post with masses of quotes.)
Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree with kukalakana and sir num nums. It can become ridiculous when a conversation has gone on for a long time and you end up quoting someone who quoted someone else who quoted someone else, etc. This forum's way of doing it is much more tidy.

The multi-quote function makes things easier too.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Was this a optional thing for this unique board, or is this a VBulletin feature across the board? I was just curious.
I think it's a normal feature. There is a multi-quote option. It's handy for answering a few different people in one post.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Captain

I think that is silly too. You cannot say something with any real context when you need to.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Something I've been noticing with this software is when you're quoting someone who quoted someone else, the first quote isn't included in the post. What I mean is say I posted something, someone quoted me, and then when I quoted them back my original post is taken out. Was this a optional thing for this unique board, or is this a VBulletin feature across the board? I was just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribbleWrangler View Post
And you can quote me on that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
I think that so done for those that quote others waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much. It really is not needed.

It is difficult to read a post when all it contains is a bunch of other peoples quotes. All people have to do is either quote the original person, or the last person. It's not that hard to tell what's going on.
The startrek.com message board looks very trashed when people do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
Good!

I hate having to wade through reams of pre-quoted material every time two people decide to have a "conversation" in the middle of a thread. It's exhausting!

(Don't mind conversations, per se, and had quite a few good ones myself at times -- but I love it how people here can't begin their post with masses of quotes.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
I agree with kukalakana and sir num nums. It can become ridiculous when a conversation has gone on for a long time and you end up quoting someone who quoted someone else who quoted someone else, etc. This forum's way of doing it is much more tidy.

The multi-quote function makes things easier too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Redshirt View Post
I think it's a normal feature. There is a multi-quote option. It's handy for answering a few different people in one post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
I think that is silly too. You cannot say something with any real context when you need to.
Sure you can, but it still looks like a junky post.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Captain

Now you're just showing off.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
I've noticed the lack of that feature on every VBulletin forum I've ever posted on. It can make following threads difficult, so I sometimes put the lost quote back in manually. It's all you can do really...