The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Does anyone have any beefs with Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
"A cashless economy" -- Personally I find this unrealistic. Sure it's great if your in a job that you like. But I've worked jobs that have made me want nothing more than to go down to the lake and drown myself. Are they honestly trying to tell us that the poor sod working on the waste extraction systems day after day is content to do so for the "improvement of humanity"?
Question: if you don't have to buy anything in the future, what exactly would you use the cash for to want to keep acquiring it?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant

Well, Latinum is kinda pretty...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
Ok i guess you don't know the basics of story telling. The idea is that certain things are set up through the story so that by the time the point of death occurs there is no real choice except it will cost others, thus a sense of real sacrifice.
Dropping off a cliff was simply added to kill off the character, there was no need. That is the scene would have worked just as well with both captains coming out alive so there is no sacrifice in the sense that it was Kirks death or the death of others.
The fact that they were fighting an old git that anyone in the audience felt they could beat up if needed didn't help either.
So for a start a stronger and more intimidating adversary should have been written in.
It could have been as simple as the adversary pushing a button that would take him into the nexus and destroying the other planet (which we should have seen in order to have some emotional connection anyway).
Kirk and Picard could have received a serious beating and as the man/creature that they were fighting were about to press the button Kirk intends to use the last of his strength to take said adversary off balance and over a cliff face that would take them both to their deaths. Picard seeing how badly injured Kirk is tries to stop him so Kirk first has to beat up Picard in the last few seconds before succeeding in his attempt to take himself and the villain to their deaths.
The idea is to set up a simple enough goal then create a series of obstacles to the hero getting there to build tension. Generations had non of that.
As i say his falling off the cliff had no basis in need. the simple suggestion i just made does.
Which gets us back to the idea that with millions to spend on a film you must get your climax right. The rest of the story can be forgiven if the climax is great.
I will add another beef. Why is it that building a forum that is to promote a multi million dollar film they cannot get it so that it does not keep logging you off?
No offence, but that sounds like a Dragon Ball Z ending. =/

Kirk put himself in a life threatening situation to save millions of people. That's what a hero does. They don't have to be Superman or know that they're actually giving away their life to save others. I'm sure Kirk's next thought was to get off the bridge before it collapsed, but he put the lives of others before his own safety.

Edit: I suppose they could have made the sacrifice more obvious though, you're right about that. We didn't see the alien planet he saved and the only indication that the Enterprise crew were also killed was a brief shot of the saucer section as the planet exploded.

Anyway, I haven't been logged out at all. Maybe it's your Internet browser? I use firefox and haven't had any trouble so far.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribbleWrangler View Post
Well, Latinum is kinda pretty...
And, as Quark points out (Who mourns for Morn) it makes a good noise!

Something I've wondered on several occasions is where Starfleet officers find the money to drink and gamble and open accounts at Quark's establishment.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
And, as Quark points out (Who mourns for Morn) it makes a good noise!

Something I've wondered on several occasions is where Starfleet officers find the money to drink and gamble and open accounts at Quark's establishment.

i think.. that theres probably some arrangement that starfleet has with the companies and peopel they lease stores too on the space stations. Something like every starfleet officer is allowed a $___ tab every month/week ya know. OOh and they could make it based on rank!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Ensign

My biggest beef is Rick Berman and Brannon Braga stayed around to long and ran the franchise into the ground.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Ensign

Rick Berman and Brannon Braga have done just fine with the franchise. I am extremely sad that they haven't had anything to do with the new movie...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Lieutenant

I have beef with some of the time travel but my Dad has some major beef with everything except tos and tng.

I was watching voyager and my dad sits down, then out of NOWHERE he stands up and shouts.
Quote:
Of COURSE its a tachion partical or a gravatron matrix or a a a transwarp capacitor!! Its always something NEW! you cant just just MAKE UP things to fix whatever damn situation youre in! ugh! Rediculous,.
and then he stormed off

but i love the tech talk, and duh its all made up, all of its all made up its sci for godsake!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Rear Admiral

Seriously! Like when my friend comes over and we watch Star Trek, my mom comes in the room and says, "Turn that off." I mean, what the hell does she care? If she would sit down and actually watch it with me, she might just like it. All she says is, "She looks too old to have her hair like that." *Referring to Troi's new hairdoo in Nemesis, which I think looked hot!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Seriously! Like when my friend comes over and we watch Star Trek, my mom comes in the room and says, "Turn that off." I mean, what the hell does she care? If she would sit down and actually watch it with me, she might just like it. All she says is, "She looks too old to have her hair like that." *Referring to Troi's new hairdoo in Nemesis, which I think looked hot!
Ha! ha ha. nice.

We'll my dads a trekkie, but i think its just somethign to do with voyager and ds9, he could never really get into them, though he did give enterprise a chance, for all i know hes watched every episode of every series (hes a tv and netflix fiend)

Its just a beef with tech talk, which i can totally understand, sometimes its so thick that even i dont exactly understand whats going on..OH OH OH

lets right a star trek glossery!! That'd be great, and everyone can just add on their word and define it!!! I'm totally gonna start that thread.