The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > VSS Enterprise, and Voyager
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default VSS Enterprise, and Voyager

God bless the folks over at Virgin Galactic! Unlike the stodgy old farts at NASA, these guys have no problem giving their spacecraft the right names:

VSS ENTERPRISE
and
VSS VOYAGER

Now if we can only put 'em in charge of naming new planets (keeping Xena and Gabrielle) and keeping Pluto defined as the only "American discovered" planet.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Lieutenant

Forgive my ignorance, but what's Virgin Galactic?

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

VG is the company financed by Virgin Records. It's an "airline" offering suborbital flights on the next version of "Space Ship One." (Think the Pan Am space plane in 2001) A quick Google of the name will lead you to several sites, including the one for booking your own flight, if you have tha cashola... (but think if the frequent flier miles you could rack up!) Bookings started in 2005, and flights should start either late 2009, or early 2010.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
VG is the company financed by Virgin Records. It's an "airline" offering suborbital flights on the next version of "Space Ship One." (Think the Pan Am space plane in 2001) A quick Google of the name will lead you to several sites, including the one for booking your own flight, if you have tha cashola... (but think if the frequent flier miles you could rack up!) Bookings started in 2005, and flights should start either late 2009, or early 2010.
That would be fun to try even if I really didn't have a destination I wanted to go to. Just to be able to say I took a ride on the Enterprise would be another reason to go too.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
It's being financed by Sir Richard Branson. Sir Richard sold Virgin Records many years ago, it's no longer a part of his Virgin Group.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Now if we can only put 'em in charge of naming new planets (keeping Xena and Gabrielle)
Hell no... forgettable pop-culture references from a long-dead TV show? These are the planets we're talking about here, and they should be treated and named with respect and deference to traditions that have stood for thousands of years.

Virgin Galactic's tourist flights are a brilliant idea, and a good step toward making space travel 'normal', but they're not exactly at the cutting edge of space exploration and research like NASA's projects are.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Lieutenant

I love this. Both are great names for the first Tourist Space flights.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Big D,

Aw, comon... "a rose by any other name shall smell just as sweet" and all that. Semi-mythical, pop culture names work fine for me. Besides, since there are hundreds- possibly thousands- of "ice dwarfs" out there, we may end up naming them via something like "The International Star Registry" anyway. So why not use the more memorable designations for the closer, easier to find bodies?