The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To The older fans of Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Captain

Cool

Pretty much what Abrams already seems to be doing by creating a new alternate timeline...
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I dunno.. sometimes, when I think about Trek (which is often) I feel like maybe Abrhams is taking the wrong tack... maybe... maybe... what REALLY needs to happen is to take the whole concept of the franchise, wipe the board clean, and start anew. Maybe the folks at "Bad Robot" will fail because they just aren't going far enough with the reboot of Trek.

Keep the basic format. Kirk, Spock, McCoy and a bridge crew abaord a ship the size of an aircraft carrier, visiting new planets on a mission of peaceful exploration... and just not worry about "cannon" at all. Upgrade all the equipement and sets and effects so you can actually suspend your disbelief again, and just not worry about what came before... Those shows, those movies, will always exist and are a part of television and American and world history...

But all the little mistakes made over the years tend to have a cumulative effect. Trek has become hidebound by it's own backstory sometimes. (Just look at the whole DY-100/Khan/eugenics wars/augments timeline for a good example.) Certainly the clunky tech style of TOS has gone on, well past it's expiration date. Personally, now that special effects has caught up to our imaginations, I'd ditch the transporter. (It cuases too many plot problems.)

The basic idea behind Trek is still relevant. It still has lots of things to say about the world today, and the challenges we all face in the future.

Maybe it's time to drop the first stage, and ignite the second... otherwise the dead weight will keep us all from getting to where we are going.
You just described Star Trek XI.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
The main thing is, JJ and Co. are supposed to be these creative geniuses...

I mean, aside from Felicity and Lost, what has he done?

He took the character of Rollin Hand from the original Mission Impossible, made him a hot chick and called it "Alias"...
Wow. That's selling Alias so short I don't even know where to start! Alias is the best series of its type, period. It's the most densely plotted show I've ever seen - more happens in a single episode of Alias than happens in a single episode of most shows, and yet they still find time for effective character development - and frankly makes the Bond films and their ilk look like unimaginative river-bed dredgings. And I like Bond!

There's nothing wholly original in this world - even the much-heralded Lost is an amalgam of a number of other shows, as was The X Files, the rebooted Galactica and a slew of other recent 'classic' shows. I'm not saying everything Abrams and co touch turns to gold (witness the witless and hopelessly imitative Fringe, which if there's any justice at all will get canned in a few months), but as far as I'm concerned, Abrams gets a free pass purely based on Alias, which is as close to unimpeachable as anything I've ever seen...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyDave View Post
Wow. That's selling Alias so short I don't even know where to start! Alias is the best series of its type, period. It's the most densely plotted show I've ever seen - more happens in a single episode of Alias than happens in a single episode of most shows, and yet they still find time for effective character development - and frankly makes the Bond films and their ilk look like unimaginative river-bed dredgings. And I like Bond!

There's nothing wholly original in this world - even the much-heralded Lost is an amalgam of a number of other shows, as was The X Files, the rebooted Galactica and a slew of other recent 'classic' shows. I'm not saying everything Abrams and co touch turns to gold (witness the witless and hopelessly imitative Fringe, which if there's any justice at all will get canned in a few months), but as far as I'm concerned, Abrams gets a free pass purely based on Alias, which is as close to unimpeachable as anything I've ever seen...
I can live with that.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hmmm... wasn't it Gene Roddenberry himself who described STAR TREK as "Wagon Train to the stars."

He referenced another TV show while pitching his TV show to the network. Apparently Gene didn't work in a creative vacuum either.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyDave View Post

There's nothing wholly original in this world - even the much-heralded Lost is an amalgam of a number of other shows, as was The X Files, the rebooted Galactica and a slew of other recent 'classic' shows.
Well said. I only knew Abrams from Alias before he did M:I:3, and I though that was an absolutely terrific show, especially in it's first two years. What they did on a modest TV budget was incredible, both visually and storywise. Alias is for me as well why I'm a fan of Abrams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Hmmm... wasn't it Gene Roddenberry himself who described STAR TREK as "Wagon Train to the stars."

He referenced another TV show while pitching his TV show to the network. Apparently Gene didn't work in a creative vacuum either.
Indeed
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Midshipman

As an official "old fart" here, My feelings are as follows...

A: Not really fond of the ship design, but as far as that goes, I could see where the ship (as in many real life Naval ships for example) would go through upgrades and refits to get to the classic "Conny" design.

B: I'm very open about the actors, as long as they do a good job I'll be very content.

C: Lastly, at least they game themselves an out..."ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE".

=/\=