The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Ensign

You know I was watching that "Fanboy" trailer where the guys go to Lucas skywalker ranch to steal a film copy of Star Wars: Phantom Menace to see it before everybody else does, and during the road trip they come across a Star Trek convention. They had the typical nerdy Star Trek fan wearing a uniform with bad yellow teeth arguing about which is better Star Wars or Star Trek. So to answer your question no it will never shake that "only for nerds" stigma.

Trek Passions is the first dating site for science-fiction fans, and it's free.

http://www.trekpassions.com/
Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Ensign

I believe Star Trek is no longer a "nerds only" phenomenon. Star Wars will always now in my opinion garner more "fanboyish" "geeky" popularity. Star Trek as far as I have seen in media and coverage is being more properly respected. And with the popularity of the fan-based projects gaining more news coverage since ENT's demise, a lot more respect has been sent our way.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Ensign

Oh, I forgot to comment on the posting before mine. If you've seen some of the Star Wars fans and spoofs of that, I think you'll find that there are at least as many put-downs on that side of the isle. "Fanboys" is obviously going to cater to Star Wars because that is the plot base of the movie. If it had been a more modernly conceived version where people are trying to sneak peaks at Trek XI, I'm sure you'd find some way of seeing a pimply geek holding a plastic lightsaber spouting "farce" euphemisms to "join the lightside/darkside of the force" and be dressed in a cross-eyed version of a Frodo robe and wearing a LOTR ring on a necklass.

My point is that you have to believe in Trek's appeal to the masses and don't believe the ignorance of people around you that don't know the value of it. There are more closeted Trek fans out there that feel the same becuase of the so-called stigma, but you have to believe that just because they don't speak out, doesn't mean they aren't there. Star Wars fans have more light in the sun due only to the fact that it is only every few years that a movie has been released/re-released over the last dozen years, and the only reason it has such an obvious following is because it gets jammed down everyone's throats thru advertizing by LucasFilm.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Lieutenant Commander

If every Trekker was able to get out of the closet and embrace his or her "trekkiness" (within the limits of good taste and reason, mind you) then yes, Star Trek would stand a chance of shaking off its geek stigma. Because not all Trek fans are geeks or look like one.

There used to be a time when I would never have admitted I was a Star Trek fan. But a few years back, I said the hell with it. Now I feel totally comfortable saying that I love Star Trek and I even read the novels in the subway on my way to work or watch some episodes on my portable DVD player also on my way to work or during my lunch break. And I don't give a sh?% what people may or may not think. And I'm sure that some people must be very surprised because I really don't fit the geek profile (female, 39 years old, fashionable, don't live with my parents).

If more Trek fans did this and if the media started treating Trek with more respect then maybe the general perception could change. Until then though, I won't be holding my breath...

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 02-15-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Commander

I think it is possible, and if anyone can do it, it's Abrams.

I agree that Star Trek needs to be parodied more in order to catch on. Seth MacFarlane is a Star Trek fan. Maybe Family Guy should do a Star Trek episode or movie recreation. I bet he would do it.

But I think the "fanatics" do need to tone it down a little bit. Going out into public dressed as Captain Kirk is a bit odd. And arguments over minutae are pointless...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think Star Trek has already exceeded the nerds anthem...only people who really just want to dog the saga call it nerd.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Midshipman

As long as there are hundreds of people who dress up in Star Trek costumes, believe in the so called "canons" of Star Trek as if they were the bible, and think that their attempts to have this movie released in December 08 as was originally scheduled instead of the new release date, then no, Star Trek will always be associated with complete nerds.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think I heard a shot...

Old 02-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairake View Post
As long as there are hundreds of people who dress up in Star Trek costumes, believe in the so called "canons" of Star Trek as if they were the bible, and think that their attempts to have this movie released in December 08 as was originally scheduled instead of the new release date, then no, Star Trek will always be associated with complete nerds.
Hence the need for "good taste" and "reason".

Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe with the new movie, they are trying to make it appeal more to a general audience. Still don't think it will ditch the stigma because Star Wars still has to deal with the same thing.