The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I can't shake the feeling that...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 AM
thestartrekker's Avatar
thestartrekker thestartrekker is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 293
Default

So why do people complain about The Final Frontier, which in many ways was closer to the spirit of TOS, than any other movie, and The Motion Picture.
People nowadays expect a stong element of action and space battles in their Sci-Fi. Probably due to the success of Star Wars. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing, depends on how it is done. Roddenbery had a lot of action in TOS by the way, battles with Klingons Romulans, fist fights, Redshirts buying it every other episode, quite violent really.
__________________
You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." Spock (Amok Time)

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 AM
MigueldaRican's Avatar
MigueldaRican MigueldaRican is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
So why do people complain about The Final Frontier, which in many ways was closer to the spirit of TOS, than any other movie, and The Motion Picture.
People nowadays expect a stong element of action and space battles in their Sci-Fi. Probably due to the success of Star Wars. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing, depends on how it is done. Roddenbery had a lot of action in TOS by the way, battles with Klingons Romulans, fist fights, Redshirts buying it every other episode, quite violent really.
Believe it or not, you're actually agreeing with me. You, sir, are absolutely right. Now, why can't we look at all that and be more forgiving of Abrams? Why is everyone flinging poo at Abrams like angry chimps?
__________________
01001110011011110010000001101101011011110111001001 10010100100000011000100110110001100001011010000010 00000110001001101100011000010110100000100000011000 10011011000110000101101000
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Final Frontier was perhaps indeed closer in spirit, but was very poorly executed by those responsible for it. Personally, that's why I rate it lowly.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Believe it or not, you're actually agreeing with me. You, sir, are absolutely right. Now, why can't we look at all that and be more forgiving of Abrams? Why is everyone flinging poo at Abrams like angry chimps?
Not everyone Miguel. I have been a supporter for Abrams and Co. ...I guess this statement will put me up in the front of the line for the Firing Squad...so be it...I can't wait to see all the surprises in May!
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-21-2009, 03:29 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Not everyone Miguel. I have been a supporter for Abrams and Co. ...I guess this statement will put me up in the front of the line for the Firing Squad...so be it...I can't wait to see all the surprises in May!
I imagine I shall be there also!

I'm supporting Abrams in strong principle until I see everything he's done and the context the changes are made in. Then will come to a final decision.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.