The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Spock's Bridge Outburst, WARNING: Contains speculation that may be actually spoilers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
We all saw Spock down through the early years try to keep a lid on his feelings. Many times he was unsuccessful. He laughed and wept when struck by the pods, he cried and screamed in the Naked Time when he got drunk. And, like someone said, he laughed and smiled in The Menagerie. I think this is just another day for Spock even if someone else had an agenda.
Don't forget WNMHGB, in the chess game with Kirk. "Ah, yes, one of your Earth emotions," he said with a smile.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Federation Councillor

I feel that it's going to be reminding us that Spock always struggled to understand human behaviour, esepcially early on, and was also struggling to master his own. But I love the idea behind the second spoiler!!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Captain

Hmmm. Will Orci and Kurtzman un-fix what Coto fixed when he changed Enterprise's Romuvulcans back to Vulcans?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps it is part of Nero's plans to "assimilate" the Vulcans so that they join the RSE

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 AM
Captain

My guess on this:

Last edited by Botany Bay : 01-17-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Hmmm. Will Orci and Kurtzman un-fix what Coto fixed when he changed Enterprise's Romuvulcans back to Vulcans?
First, the pre-2154 Vulcans were different because they were under Romulan influence, so your term actualyl fits, and strayed from Surak's path.
Second, Vulcans have stronger emotions than humans, so any outburst is perfectly fitting for a younger, not yet perfect Vulcan.
And we saw some outbursts in TOS.
On the other hand, Spock has weaker emotions and weaker suppression skills due to his human side, so he should be less volatile but also more emotional, which would contradict what we saw in TOS.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
[spoil="My guess on this:"]
Excellent point!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Spock shows emotion on Star Trek all the time. He's playfully irritated with McCoy, he's loyal to Kirk, caring of the ship and crew, and very easily embarrased of his human side. The computer I'm using to send this message shows me none of these feelings unless I press the icon buttom

He's cried and laughed. It wouldn't be Star Trek if it wasn't about trying to make Spock show emotions.

The entire basis of the McCoy/Spock banter is that McCoy is trying to help Spock release emotions in a gradual, safe manner so he doesn't bottle them all up and explode. Since the movie apparently is set around the time Spock meets McCoy, it makes sense that he's kept his emotions under lock and key and is ripe for an outburst. Spock learned a lot from McCoy. I hope the movie gives McCoy his due.

This is what I love about Star Trek! Spock and McCoy's relationship . . the best part of TOS.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Midshipman

I hope there is an explaination because all justification aside it seems out of character. Spock says more without saying it, or if he does fly off the handle he'd just do it not whine.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
This is what I love about Star Trek! Spock and McCoy's relationship . . the best part of TOS.
Indeed. I'll add Kirk to that. He is the middle man between their extremes.

I have a feeling, however, we'er going to have to wait for a sequel to see examples of this on screen. This movie seems to be very Kirk-Spock-centric.