The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Vulcans: Vegetarians or Vegans?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am not Herbert View Post
Vulcans are vegan. Period.
Yesterday I saw Tuvok waiting for Neelix to finish cooking his breakfast. Neelix was making him eggs.

Hence... Vulcans are vegetarians.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Ensign

I would say that the people writing the show couldn't care less about being consistent with the vegetarian/vegan thing because for them neither is particularly meaningful to them as opposed to those of us who are vegetarian or vegan, hence I am sure they messed things up quite a bit with crossing that particular line. As someone pointed out, the fact that T'Pol ate popcorn with her hands shows that the writers don't particularly take these dietary customs of their characters very seriously. It's merely something to make a joke out of or a point of difference meant to make humans seem superior in some way.

Of course if it were a Muslim character eating a hot dog, you'd be sure to hear about but a maybe vegan character eating eggs, who cares?

I eat a vegan diet, BTW.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Ensign

maybe some vulcans are vegans, and others are vegetarian.

Logic would dictate they would eat what's available

Though I would think that when all food is replicated, one could argue that not even meat would contain animal products...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton View Post
I would say that the people writing the show couldn't care less about being consistent with the vegetarian/vegan thing because for them neither is particularly meaningful to them as opposed to those of us who are vegetarian or vegan, hence I am sure they messed things up quite a bit with crossing that particular line. As someone pointed out, the fact that T'Pol ate popcorn with her hands shows that the writers don't particularly take these dietary customs of their characters very seriously. It's merely something to make a joke out of or a point of difference meant to make humans seem superior in some way.

Of course if it were a Muslim character eating a hot dog, you'd be sure to hear about but a maybe vegan character eating eggs, who cares?

I eat a vegan diet, BTW.
That's probably true. It's sad when the people in charge or writing these stories are not as responsible with the little details as a fan would.

It's kinda silly to canonically justify the little things that slip by writers. However, if I were to do so, I'd say T'pol ate the popcorn with her hand cause she had spent a lot of time under heavy cultural influence from humans.

I guess we'll never know. I'm a vegetarian. Props to you for being vegan. Me and my girlfriend are working towards that too.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Midshipman

Yesterday I saw Tuvok waiting for Neelix to finish cooking his breakfast. Neelix was making him eggs.

Hence... Vulcans are vegetarians.

I was just about to post that very same episode. Did you mind-meld with me and steal my thoughts?

Spock: Emotional, isn't she?
Sarek: She has always been so.
Spock: Indeed. Why did you marry her?
Sarek: At the time it was the logical thing to do.