The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Some LCARS Starfleet schematics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
More on the way, little by little:

That's pretty cool; but if there's really three decks in the Oberth saucer, then the TNG folks have made the model WAAAAY too small whenever it was shown together with, say, a Galaxy or Nebula class ship.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Yes, but look at the size of the human figure icons on those decks... I guess the Oberth Class has "cathedral" ceilings! Those decks must be 25 feet thick, easy!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about that. Here's an Oberth scaled to 120 meters overall length against a Nebula at 444 (based on its having the same saucer width as the Galaxy classs). The deck heights are the same in this comparison, and notice that deck 10 of the Nebula is exactly where it should be. Compare this against the closing scene of GEN, and it's not so bad. I guess I should make the shuttles in the Nebula a little smaller, since the type 8 is only 2.8 meters tall.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
LaCars these are totally awesome. Did you do this yourself?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks.

I try to stick to just programming of LCARS 24, since that's a big job. I did some of the MSDs from scratch, some were completely done by contributors, and some I received as blank outlines and filled in the rest. like the Norway and Olympic you cited. The Hubble and Gemimi I received in nearly complete form and just did minor touch-up. And I made color charts and examples of outline thickness for these guys so the style would be consistent. There will be more, both Starfleet and NASA/ESA (Voyager, LEM, etc.)

I have the first 21 in a gallery, and have several starships to add to that. And I'll make another gallery for the NASA/ESA stuff. I did one of the International Space Station about a year ago, which is in the software package, along with one of the Space Shuttle done by a contributor.

The labels, brackets, and text are rendered by the program, by reading a text file that describes all that in an LCARS-specific scripting language similar to HTML.

21 Starfleet schematics
http://lcars24.com/schematics.html
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I don't know about that. Here's an Oberth scaled to 120 meters overall length against a Nebula at 444 (based on its having the same saucer width as the Galaxy classs). The deck heights are the same in this comparison, and notice that deck 10 of the Nebula is exactly where it should be. Compare this against the closing scene of GEN, and it's not so bad. I guess I should make the shuttles in the Nebula a little smaller, since the type 8 is only 2.8 meters tall.

Even from what I remember from the final scene of Generations it looks right to me.

Although I think sometimes on TNG the model was used incorrectly. Probably the most obvious one is 'The Pegasus' which appears to be an Oberth design, but when you see it and the Enterprise togther inside the asteroid, it's way bigger than the scale of that image. I never understood why they did that with the Oberth for that episode.

None of which takes away from the terrific work producing them!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Lieutenant

These things are just fantastic!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
I guess I should make the shuttles in the Nebula a little smaller, since the type 8 is only 2.8 meters tall.
Is there a smaller shuttle than the type 6 (I'm assuming the shuttle in the Oberth is a type 6)? Because the shuttle has like three inches of ceiling clearance in that landing bay. Oberth shuttle pilots must be the bestest evar.

Seriously - cool-looking stuff, though.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
Is there a smaller shuttle than the type 6 (I'm assuming the shuttle in the Oberth is a type 6)? Because the shuttle has like three inches of ceiling clearance in that landing bay. Oberth shuttle pilots must be the bestest evar.

Seriously - cool-looking stuff, though.
Well, the workbees are smaller. You can see them in the Nova and Olympic MSDs I showed.

You might know that they built a full-sized plywood type 6 and also used that as the type 8, with minor changes. The type 6 you can see a lot of in VOY: Innocence, after which they used mostlly type 8 and 9 shuttles. I think the type 8 prop was also later drastically redressed as the alien shuttle called Alice in the VOY ep of that name.

The ceiling clearance in the Oberth shutttlebay is quite a bit higher than in the rest of the deck on the same level, because it doesn't have a false ceiling below the floor of the deck above. For crew quarters, there is quite bit of conduit space above the ceiling. We saw that in VOY: Basics, etc. So that's well over 3.5, close to 4, meters height in the Oberth shuttlebay, with a shuttle only 2. 8 meters tall.

I didn't post the ISS MSD before, but here:

Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

This as big as the forward shuttlebay door can be and still match the filming model. Still too tight, even with computerized entry of shuttles?