The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon Debate - Does it exist & is Canon important to you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
I'm not actually asking anyone to agree. I probably shouldn't have put the word "Debate" in the title. What I'm asking is what is your "canon" because I am curious to see the different opinions and maybe discover facts I did not know.

I agree, there has been months and months of threads on this subject. The difference (I hope) about this thread is I don't want fans to argue but simply state their position on this subject. I have learned absolutely nothing from those other threads except that some people enjoy conflict.

So, I respect your opinion that everyone should be left to their own canon but I hope people will share theirs with others in this thread without bashing others beliefs.
A pretty clear indication that the OP here wishes this to be a different kind of thread from those others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
That's like saying "Abortion, your view?" - oh and no arguing.

Gosh, I hope that wasn't aimed at me specifically.
I did express my view... canon is meaningless to me.

*...but I hope people will share theirs with others in this thread without bashing others beliefs.*
Not possible. Someone will take offense at another view. It's a certainty.
A pretty clear indication that 1) you're not paying attention, 2) he is talking about you, and 3) you have a very low estimation of the maturity of the others on this forum. Just express your opinion and move on; maybe that forum on abortion you mentioned would be better suited for your . . . particular . . . style of posting.

I, for one, look forward to seeing many others post in this thread as it was intended - expressing a point of view and remaining open-minded & eager to hear the opinions of others.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
canon does exist and it IS important to me. Anything that has aired on TV or been onscreen in a movie is the simple definition, but to me it is NOT that simple. Since there have been tons of minor contradictions in Trek on various topics I ignore those as details too small to care about.

We know what Picard's brother's name and his nephew's name as well. If some writer were too lazy to look up those details and created new names, I would get ticked off. We know many details like that, that are pretty clear and easy to look up. Whether Kirk can drive a car or why can Data remove his emotion chip when he can turn it off, those types of issues may be fun to debate, but they are not canon issues to me.
I agree with you. I don't think you can take little parts of sentences here and there and then declare them major parts of Star Trek. Does Kirk's ability (or lack thereof) to drive a car make him any more or any less Kirk? No.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*I'm curious to find out what others include in their "Canon" or if it matters to them at all. I myself never gave it much thought before becoming a member of this forum. But I'm a fan and not a fanatic, so my canon is that I accept pretty much everything that has the name Star Trek on it.*
Interesting and admirable attitude.
To me, it matters not a whit.
For me, it matters quite a lot. Everything under the same roof is supposed to at least have an effort applied to make it all the same property. That means a shared history, to the best of the abilities of the people involved in producing it.

Yes, there are going to be slip-ups. As long as there is an effort to avoid them, I'm happy. There appears to be no effort involved with this project in that regard, and that strikes me as lazy and dismissive; I don't produce lazy, dismissive work myself, and I won't support lazy, dismissive work from those who want my money.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Lieutenant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD0L94CgbGg

There is a D7 in the movie, there is a D7 in the movie, woooowww!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Ensign

I get a bit tired of the nit-picky cannonites out there trying to get all worked up over something silly like Kirk driving a stick shift. Or that the bridge of the E is different looking. Yet these same people have no problem with ignoring the fact that in the movies from trek 2 to 6 the bridge was different in each film. Or that Troy said in trek 9 that she had never kissed Riker with a beard even though she had about 6 times in TNG.

To me the real spirit of trek was lost in the TNG cannon obsessed techno-babble world and I look forward to a renewing of the HUMAN adventure in Trek in which not everyone agrees all the time and to fix a problem you need to do more than run a level 3 diagnostic.

I do not give a rat’s A** about cannon, I care about the spirit of TOS coming back in a big way.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Lieutenant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLcoRJH4A0w

Leader of the Canonites speaks finally!!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Lieutenant

My view of Canon is that it shouldn't be every single syllable of every single word ever spoken in the series of movies. If the writers did something in one episode that they feel didn't work, or has been since overtaken by events, they should not hesitate to modify it.

A lot of people have indicated Kirk's apparent inability to drive a car from a TOS episode. Who is to say that he just didn't have trouble with that particular car? I've stalled cars the first time I tried driving them due to unfamiliarity - doesn't mean I don't know how to drive. Or how about - he was so traumatised by his Corvette experience that he never drove again, and hence forgot how to operate a car.

What I'm saying is that Canon has an awful lot to do with how we interpret what we see on screen. One person may see it one way, another may see something else. For me the new Enterprise doesn't break Canon because it's still the same basic shape, for others it does. I guess it all comes down to how flexible an individual is in his own view of Star Trek.

Worf - "Die."
Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
For me the new Enterprise doesn't break Canon because it's still the same basic shape
I think the problem I have with that view is that it's extremely oversimplistic. A toaster is the same basic shape as a delivery truck, when you get all lackadaisical about it. Don't expect to see me trying to load my furniture into the toaster when moving day rolls around.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Lieutenant

The reference to Kirk not knowing how to drive a car is, I believe, from "A Piece of the Action." I agree with you on this point because the car in question in that episode was an alien reproduction of a vehicle from the 1920s. Probably had the clutch on the wrong side, gears arranged differently, who knows; it wasn't even a real Earth car. I, too, think his inability to properly operate this particular car in no way means he was unable to drive any car.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I think the problem I have with that view is that it's extremely oversimplistic. A toaster is the same basic shape as a delivery truck, when you get all lackadaisical about it. Don't expect to see me trying to load my furniture into the toaster when moving day rolls around.

Beware of that "toaster" comment, or you'll have a slew of Cylons on your six before you know it!

My opinion about the "new" version of the Big E? I, personally like it. I could say, "I love it," but I haven't seen her on the big screen yet, so I don't want to over do it. I'm sure I will though...if the writing, direction, and acting makes my hard earned dollars worth while.

I will be shelling out those dollars, though!