The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Close To The Star Trek Canon Should The New Film Be?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Close To The Star Trek Canon Should The New Film Be?
Not following he canon makes you a heretic. 27 15.61%
Its very import but not perfect so maybe SMALL changes. 54 31.21%
Its important but I will not loos any sleep over changes. 62 35.84%
They should be able to make lots of changes if it helps the franchise. 29 16.76%
What canon? 14 8.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ah, now someone's favourite novels are canon, or rather MY canon. I never saw TAS (I tried but I could not stand it) so april is not in MY canon
When will people start being humble enough and simply say, 'I liked this and that and hope that it is in this new movie' instead of pretending that whatever they like about Trek is canon and has never been touched and changed?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Ah, now someone's favourite novels are canon, or rather MY canon. I never saw TAS (I tried but I could not stand it) so april is not in MY canon
When will people start being humble enough and simply say, 'I liked this and that and hope that it is in this new movie' instead of pretending that whatever they like about Trek is canon and has never been touched and changed?

Horatio, YOU are THE MAN!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I've read two Trek novels. One, I believe, was called "Prime Directive", and I loved it. There is a neat section in the book where Cochrane, while describing his theory of warp speed, creates an illustrative diagram which the reader will recognize as the TOS "arrowhead" Enterprise insignia - thus providing backstory for how that symbol was created and what it means. But is that explanation canon? Is it canon that Kirk was dishonorably discharged from Starfleet because he ostensibly caused the destruction of an entire civilization, only to be reinstated when he ultimately saved the day (apparently a few months or even years afterward)? I don't know. I did like the book, though.

The other Trek book, I think, was called "Q-Squared", and it explains that Trelane (the flamboyant prankster from TOS) was really a Q. The book depicts him having a battle with Q (that is, the one we know) and winning, reducing Q to a primitive primordial noncorporeal energy-form. Q eventually comes back somehow and is forced to kill Trelane. The story was a good read, but I still have some problems with it. But nevermind - would most people consider Trelane a Q? Or Charlie X's parents Q? The Melkotians? I don't. But some might.

You're right - I guess it's up to each individual as to what "canon" is. I think if more people would understand that, there'd be a lot less fuss about this movie. Obviously, this film reflects what "canon" is to its writers - and some people disagree.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well said and nice novel examples, LTJG. Don't wanna nitpick (long time ago that I read the Reeves-Stevenses) but isn't Cochrane appearing in "Federation"? Is it a lesser novel only because it is does not sync perfectly with First Contact?
I think it is fine to let Trelane be Trelane, but due to the obvious similarities with Q, why can he not be a Q just for one story?

Sci-fi has a singular advantage over normal fiction, less dramatic limitations. You can time travel and let a character comment on a would-be future, show what would have happened if someone had not met Jane Doe on day X or create an alien species which acts as a mirror for the human characters or us. From this persepctive of playfulness, I fail to understand why minor changes in the design and characters setup should make this a bad movie per se.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Federation Councillor

I take novels as being totally enclosed stories that have no bearing on canon.

As far as the film Orci says it takes place in a timeline that Nero creates, my question is if there's a sequel, will it takes place in TOS looking suroundings, or will this new future be the future?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ah, Big Z is back in the movie forums
Hard question, Orci said that the timeline will continue to exist after the movie but also that the movie is not done as trilogy-opener. Ambiguous at best concerning the question.
Given JJA's style, it is very well possible that the timeline will be restored in the end of the movie, which would yet demand two designs: two Enterprised, two bridges, two phasers, etc. Such a story would work better * la Yesterday's Enterprise IMO: "normal" timeline, new timeliner, back to "normal". Without showing the "normal" timeline in the beginning, the general audience might not understand it.
My best guess is that the new timeline continues.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
I've read two Trek novels. One, I believe, was called "Prime Directive", and I loved it. There is a neat section in the book where Cochrane, while describing his theory of warp speed, creates an illustrative diagram which the reader will recognize as the TOS "arrowhead" Enterprise insignia - thus providing backstory for how that symbol was created and what it means. But is that explanation canon? Is it canon that Kirk was dishonorably discharged from Starfleet because he ostensibly caused the destruction of an entire civilization, only to be reinstated when he ultimately saved the day (apparently a few months or even years afterward)? I don't know. I did like the book, though.
The first book you refer to, where Cochrane taught Thoresen Warp Theory was in fact "Federation", and is probably my joint favourite book, along with "Prime Directive".

Worf - "Die."
Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Lieutenant

I loved Federation the novel, Nemesis copied the hull crashing from the novel. But it was far more logical in the novel. The D slicing through D Deridex neck. Gave me chills Now that i think, it was not so logical :O Even the B4 was copied from the novel. In the novel its in a Preserver artifact hidden in a Borg wreck.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Lieutenant

Ah, was I mistaken about the novel title? Perhaps it seems I've read three Trek novels.