The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Phase II (New Voyages): BAF released
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Captain

How would he get in trouble as long as they're not profiting from their productions?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
On another thread, the "Been a Fan Since the Beginning" one, a poster said that the crew's quarters scene was "too graphic" for him. I'd be interested in what others think.

For my own part, the only complaint I had with it (as stated previously) was that it seemed to be dragging on the pacing. It could have been broken up slightly with some cross cutting with the approach to the binary pair. Frankly, I don't see fully clothed "spooning" or looking into each others eyes as being "too graphic"... it's what Capt. Kirk and "space babe of the week" have been doing since the show first hit the airwaves. But I guess the idea of two guys being emotionally attached to each other is still too much for some folks... (guys mostly, I imagine)
I know some guys who don't like to see two guys kissing or cuddling but are for equal rights. I don't see the problem with that, after all tolerance means to endure something you don't like.
The scene was a little slow-paced like the episode in general, as you said a little inter-cutting might have helped, but it was not "too graphic" IMO. If anything was too graphic and inappropriate for children to watch, it was the phaser suicide and the bloodworms eating the officer rather than love and tenderness.
But as we Europeans are on average more concerned about gore and violence than love and sex in movies, you mileage may vary
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
How would he get in trouble as long as they're not profiting from their productions?
Because everytime Paramount hears of New Voyages/Phase II DVD's being sold at conventions and on Ebay, which occurs routinely despite Cawley's constant reminders and pleading to folks NOT to do so, they come screaming at him. He in turn has to go screaming at the folks selling the DVD's, because (1) They are making life harder for him because Paramount doesn't care who is selling the DVD's, Cawley is the originator of the material on the DVD's, and in legal terms is culpable. (2) The folks selling the DVD's ARE making money at Cawley and team's expense. Now fortunately for the Phase II team, the folks at Paramount have, to this point, been reasonable. All it takes is a management change at the studio offices and Cawley could see his production shut down.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Because everytime Paramount hears of New Voyages/Phase II DVD's being sold at conventions and on Ebay, which occurs routinely despite Cawley's constant reminders and pleading to folks NOT to do so, they come screaming at him. He in turn has to go screaming at the folks selling the DVD's, because (1) They are making life harder for him because Paramount doesn't care who is selling the DVD's, Cawley is the originator of the material on the DVD's, and in legal terms is culpable. (2) The folks selling the DVD's ARE making money at Cawley and team's expense. Now fortunately for the Phase II team, the folks at Paramount have, to this point, been reasonable. All it takes is a management change at the studio offices and Cawley could see his production shut down.

Wow, I didn't know all that was going on. I guess I'm a little naive. I've never seen those items foe sale but then again, I haven't been looking for them. You're right then, it would be a shame for those greedy people to be interfering with the progress of what I think is a really top non-profit production.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Wow, I didn't know all that was going on. I guess I'm a little naive. I've never seen those items foe sale but then again, I haven't been looking for them. You're right then, it would be a shame for those greedy people to be interfering with the progress of what I think is a really top non-profit production.
In a way, it's been going on since Star Trek conventions have been occuring. A co-worker who went to a convention back in the seventies just loves telling me a story of how some "bum" as he describes him, was selling polaroid pictures...blown up to 8" x 12" of TOS episode scenes. The guy had literally just taken a picture of the TV with the scene he thought was good, and was selling it. And, he loves to add, folks were buying them...for $50.00 a piece.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

That seems unlikely. Sounds more like "A good story" that casts Trek fans as slavering, willing-to-part-with-hard-earned-cash-for-the-silliest-crap fools. I've been a fan and a convention regular since the beginning, and I have NEVER seen anyone sell a polaroid blowup of a a TV screen selling for $50, or anthing even remotely comparable... A Trek urban legend!

The most expensive thing I've ever bought was a peice of the Galileo's back window, which I gave $20 for, because the money went to the props restoration fund.

But, it seems unlikely that Paramount would have much of a case against the Phase II group. After all, they now have several years of this show in the can, with Paramount's approval. If they complained about the gay character thing, the Phase II producers would probably point out that it was written by David Gerrold, who was a writer for the original Trek, and the author of the TNG series bible. So, his "take" on the Trek universe is probably valid. (Although it would be interesting to see it go to court, and watch David answer questions about why he felt the need to write a gay character into the series, after Paramount ignoring the existence of gays for 40 years in the actual franchise.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.