The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Brutality in Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Lieutenant

Starfleet, for being military... sure don't seem very brutal, but I guess it's supposed to be a more 'happy feely' kinda future though so that's normal. Wonder if J.J. will change that... "Stun? What's that? Kill the mother****ers!!!"

lol jkjk
Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Federation Councillor

If they ever put Samuel L. Jackson in a Trek film they have to give him a line like that, whatever rating it puts on the film!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Ensign

Interesting thread.
Yes there is violence in Star Trek. But compared to other TV shows I think that it is displayed less often and more important was never glorified. Worst usage of violence and its glorification on TV to me is Battlestar Galactica.
Star Trek always showed a great faith in humanity and that is its most important characteristic.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

The death of Remmick with the Alien Mama
Worf killing Duras.
Guinan using fork on Q.
The Borg queen turning into a liquid.
The nentay.
The effect of thalaron on the Romulan senate.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant

'The Empath' was banned for many years (along with about 3 other TOS episodes) here in the United Kingdom, by the BBC. This went on right up until the late 80's i believe when they were eventually shown.

The episode called 'MIRI' is brutal in a way. when they beam down to the earth like planet, McCoy is attacked by a mutation/creature. immediately spock and kirk go to the rescue but instead of using a vulcan neck pinch or setting phasers to stun, spock holds him while kirk wades into him with fists flying. they gave him a right going over!! i never understood that bit - but it makes tremendous viewing. you could call that unecessarily brutal.

starbase Britain
Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Oh, sure... tribbles SEEM all fluffy and cute... but just put a few thousand of them in an overhead bin, and just give them a chance! (One of them was even a suicide bomber!)

"You win again, Gravity!"

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Admiral

How 'bout that early TNG episode where starfleet was being taken over by these parasite aliens and Riker and Picard phasar the guy's head, it melts and then the slug thing comes out of his torso.

wow, I don't even sound like I'm talking about star trek but that's how I remember it.

But seriously though, Borg assimilation scenes, in TNG, Voyager, wherever they're shown. Much wasn't shown, they could've gone alot further, but the insinuation of what is happening and how methodical it all is, that was pretty brutal. I think the scene in Best of Both Worlds with Picard's assimilation and then the one in Voyager where Seven is witnessing a planet being assimilated, you hear the people being borgified, pretty brutal.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
If they ever put Samuel L. Jackson in a Trek film they have to give him a line like that, whatever rating it puts on the film!

They had the perfect chance in Attack of the Clones when Mace Windu activates his lightsaber blade at Jango Fett's neck and says "This party is over..."

and we were all waiting for him to finish the line with an obligatory explitive.

All in all, I think the brutality level in Trek has been toned down from what it could have been compared to what else was on TV at the time and what gets PG and PG-13 ratings in the movies. I think it all relates to the type of audience the show attracts - more intellectual, less physical, more optimistic of the future, less of a need for gratuitous violence (apart from starship battles of course). I think it's a credit to the writers that they were able to write such successful stories without the need to show excess brutality. And any time it was shown, it was always shown in contrast to the Federation (to my knowledge).
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Mirror Spock mind raped McCoy. That was pretty brutal...of course, the whole Mirror Universe was brutal.

In The Enemy Within, "alternate" Kirk tried to rape Rand...it's a really brutal, scary scene even now.

I'd say just about everything done by the Platoniuns in Plato's Step Children was brutal in the extreme.

The ceremony of Koon-ut-kal-if-fee in Amok Time is brutal.

The Return of the Archons suggests mass gang rapes....seems brutal.

I'm sure there are more (and yes...I'm very TOS centric)

Edit comment:

I just happened across the remastered Who Mourns for Adonais? And When Carolyn pisses Apollo off...well...it seems like a pretty brutal if virtual rape (probably because of the way she's clutching at her dress as she writhes in pain).

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!

Last edited by Elizadolots : 01-04-2009 at 09:54 PM.