The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Borg technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's part of the Novel series...Star Tre Destiny

Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Ensign

Can you tell me more about it?

Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Rear Admiral

Basically, Star Trek: Destiny is a recently-released three-part book series which tells the origins of the Borg in a series of flashbacks during the Borg's full-scale invasion of the Federation in 2381. By the time it's over, only one side will remain standing...

SPOILER FOR STAR TREK: DESTINY
The Borg originated on a distant ice planet in the Delta Quadrant some 5000 years ago when a biosynthetic race known as the Caeliar were forced to merge with Humans to survive the harsh conditions there. From there they went forth and assimilated everyone they came into contact with to increase their numbers and prevent their own extinction. The first Borg were Human survivors from the lost 22nd-Century Earth starship NX-02 Columbia, but it's a really long (and tragic) story how that came about.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 AM
Ensign

I see Thank you for the info!
But I doubt it will be relevant to my storyline.

If I understand correctly the first Borg were very violent from the start because they feared extinction, according to that book. So a collective mind was actually created to survive rather than a technological development that seemed harmless at first.

I believe there's no canon about the origin of the Borg, so I guess both could be possible.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hiert View Post

If I understand correctly the first Borg were very violent from the start because they feared extinction, according to that book.
They were stranded on an bitterly cold ice planet with very little shelter and food. Added to that man-eating monsters, in the end there was only only one Caeliar and three Humans left and conditions were getting worse. The only way for them to survive was for the Caeliar and the Humans to assimilate.
Quote:
So a collective mind was actually created to survive rather than a technological development that seemed harmless at first.
In the series, the Caeliar had a peaceful and benevolent linked mind known as the Gestalt that existed for countless eons. The Collective was the Gestalt's evil sister. It didn't come about until that unfortunate merger on that ice planet and it was driven by both Human and Caeliar frailities. Over the next 5000 years, the Borg forgot about their origins, but always had an unconscious desire to assimilate Earth for some reason...

Quote:
I believe there's no canon about the origin of the Borg, so I guess both could be possible.
Definitely don't let Destiny interfere with your story. The books are only that, a story by someone else. The only reason why CBS Consumer Products allowed Pocket Books to do their version about the origins of the Borg is the very unlikelihood of any future 24th-Century onscreen productions to contradict it, IMO.
The Destiny of the Borg
Old 01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Vice Admiral

I just thought of another cause and effect paradox. Put yourself in a "Yesterday's Enterprise" mindframe, or "Back to the Future", forget the QM type timetravel we discussed in other threads.

If the Borg were the decendants of the NX-02 crew (I am assuming something happened that not only threw them across the galaxy but back thru time), then the Borg attempt to assimilate Earth (had it succeeded) at the time of First Contact would have caused a paradox. If Earth never developed the warp 5 engine project or built the NX-02....?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hiert View Post

If I understand correctly the first Borg were very violent from the start because they feared extinction, according to that book. So a collective mind was actually created to survive rather than a technological development that seemed harmless at first.

I know...more than likely though they'll try to incorporate this new understanding in order to bring the Treks together...

I'm not saying any future Trek series will absolutely include this story line...there is just no way to know. Personally I don't like their idea....I don't care for the double back plot that leads to Humans being they're own worse enemy. It's not intresting because it's done often enough and predictably. It's a dramatic lack of imagination an easy method to avoid creating a true back story for the borg that doesn't involve humans is difficult because it requires them to make a truely alien culture and alien perspective to be made intresting on it's own.

It's easy (comparably) when you just add some 22nd century humans you can identify with. It's not the making of great stories.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
They were stranded on an bitterly cold ice planet with very little shelter and food. Added to that man-eating monsters, in the end there was only only one Caeliar and three Humans left and conditions were getting worse. The only way for them to survive was for the Caeliar and the Humans to assimilate.

In the series, the Caeliar had a peaceful and benevolent linked mind known as the Gestalt that existed for countless eons. The Collective was the Gestalt's evil sister. It didn't come about until that unfortunate merger on that ice planet and it was driven by both Human and Caeliar frailities. Over the next 5000 years, the Borg forgot about their origins, but always had an unconscious desire to assimilate Earth for some reason...

Definitely don't let Destiny interfere with your story. The books are only that, a story by someone else. The only reason why CBS Consumer Products allowed Pocket Books to do their version about the origins of the Borg is the very unlikelihood of any future 24th-Century onscreen productions to contradict it, IMO.
The Destiny of the Borg
Could it be a memory of earth and desire to get back left over from the minds of the crew that survived might have influenced the collective.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

The NX-02 was found in the gamma quadrant (Ships of the Line)

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-