The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Hit with a theory this morning re: Nero
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Wrong Soong. The one in ENT that created the augments is NOT the same guy that built Data. More like a grandfather or great grandfather to the one that built Data. It seems that cybernetics became a family venture for the Soongs
Dialog in "Datalore" establishes some of Data's backstory: he was deactivated in 2336 on Omicron Theta after an attack by the Crystalline Entity, a spaceborne creature which absorbs life forms for sustenance. He was found and reactivated by Starfleet personnel two years later. Data went to Starfleet Academy from 2341-45 and then served in Starfleet. He was assigned to the Enterprise under Capt. Picard in 2364, after two prior ship assignments. In "Datalore", Data discovers his amoral brother, Lore, and learns he was not the first android constructed by their "father", Dr. Noonien Soong

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
B4 was NOT handicapped. Why do people keep saying this kind of stuff? Rewatch NEM and pay attention to the part where geordi explains B4 is identical to Data in ALL ways except nueral pathway development. Neural pathway development comes with time... it's NOT just built into the Soong type androids. Even Data had his "childhood", even his "infancy" like we saw of B4 in NEM (mentioned in the episode with Data's mother).
Data also said about B4 that he, unlike himself, does not strive to be more than he is. Which implies that he has not the same potential as Data.
Anyway, I have nothing more than my opinion, which is that Data's dumb brother was one of horrible things in NEM and that his sly brother was a much more interesting character. Your mileage may vary
Old 01-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant

"Data is dead Jim!"

I'm pretty sure Brent Spiner said in an interview somewhere that he was getting to old to play the ageless Data anymore. I also read somewhere that spock was the only character to go back in time in the film but that the TNG cast will be in the tie in comic.

It is a cool theory but I don't see Data or any other TNG era cast members showing up in this film or even mentioned in it (comic yes, film no). They are trying to attract non-trek fans and too many crossovers would complicate the story to a point that only Star Trek fanatics would like it.

If spiner had a cameo as Dr. Arek Soong (An older version of his character from "Enterprise") that might work ...... I don't see it happening.

The Nero is an augment theory is fun but ....... Did every race in the Trek universe try that after Earth? Too much!

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842

Last edited by Sybock : 01-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
"Data is dead Jim!"

I'm pretty sure Brent Spiner said in an interview somewhere that he was getting to old to play the ageless Data anymore. I also read somewhere that spock was the only character to go back in time in the film but that the TNG cast will be in the tie in comic.

It is a cool theory but I don't see Data or any other TNG era cast members showing up in this film or even mentioned in it (comic yes, film no). They are trying to attract non-trek fans and too many crossovers would complicate the story to a point that only Star Trek fanatics would like it.

If spiner had a cameo as Dr. Arek Soong (An older version of his character from "Enterprise") that might work ...... I don't see it happening.

The Nero is an augment theory is fun but ....... Did every race in the Trek universe try that after Earth? Too much!
On top of all that, Spiner's skin all made up looks creepy on the big screen. Sweaty and greasy-like. Not at all pretty.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Lieutenant

Oh well, it was an idea. A related idea would make a great novel, if it were written by the right person.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Lieutenant

In regards to B4 being a retard... I prefer to think of him more as a prototype that never was turned on for long for whatever reason and therefor never learned certain things...

he is no more retarded than a 5 year old human is retarded... most of them anyways... he's just not experienced in the lessons a 'childhood' would teach him cause he never had the chance, why he never got the chance I don't know... they never said.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Correct me if a am wrong but didn’t Lore die in an episode.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
Correct me if a am wrong but didn’t Lore die in an episode.
Actually, you're half-way right. He was deactivated and in fact, this is how Data got his emotion chip.

Here's the link from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lore_(Star_Trek)#Lore
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
Actually, you're half-way right. He was deactivated and in fact, this is how Data got his emotion chip.

Here's the link from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lore_(Star_Trek)#Lore
Ah ok I didn’t really remember.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
Oh well, it was an idea. A related idea would make a great novel, if it were written by the right person.
You might be spot on. Data and other TNG characters are in the four part tie-in, prequel comic Star Trek: Countdown. That series is written by the writers of the film and bridges the gap betweeen ST:X - ST:XI and gives us Nero's backstory.

It is a good idea, sit back and enjoy the debate.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842