The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Moore: it's time to reinvent the original
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't want to see him as a showrunner on a new Trek either. I would imagine that if a new show would be made, CBS Paramount would have Orci or someone involved with the movie run the show. I think we're gonna get more movies if everything goes well in May. Television isn't a very good home for Trek anymore.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Commander

Moore would be good to serve up a few scripts, but no.. Star Trek does not need to be reimagined. Abrams will hopefully deliver a reinvigorated Trek. (And let's admit it... Even among us diehards we are at least talking more about this film than any in a long time) But the basis of Trek is that HUMANITY will get its collective act together and become a species not only capable but worthy of exploring the galaxy. Whatever crew we follow we expect people with flaws but if they approach their mission with collective cynicism then it certainly isn't Star Trek.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Ensign

I'd love to see Ronald D. Moore create his own Trek series. He could do one that takes place in a mirror universe with the Federation as the bad guys. Or maybe a series about Section 31. I've always wanted to see that. That would be right up his alley. Serialized, character-driven, gritty, thought-provoking, Peabody-award winning stories. Or he could just re-imagine TOS the same way he did classic BSG. It would be fun to watch, and the fan discourse would be lively.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 01-01-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: OCD.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Moore would be good to serve up a few scripts, but no.. Star Trek does not need to be reimagined. Abrams will hopefully deliver a reinvigorated Trek. (And let's admit it... Even among us diehards we are at least talking more about this film than any in a long time) But the basis of Trek is that HUMANITY will get its collective act together and become a species not only capable but worthy of exploring the galaxy. Whatever crew we follow we expect people with flaws but if they approach their mission with collective cynicism then it certainly isn't Star Trek.
Bravo!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Federation Councillor

I would disagree that BSG is a purely cynical show, but it's themes are very different to Trek, so I suppose a direct comparison would be wrong. Anytime Star Trek saw a threat to the whole of humanity it was usually fixed in about 2 hours, anyway! But it's probably irrelevant, I don't see Moore returning to Trek anyway. He's moved on, and he probably realises that none of the old names should return. Time to give it all new blood.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Lieutenant

Like i have said before, Kill off all humans but 50,000 in our universe, i dont see an enlightened Federation continuing. If we remember DS9, 1 Breen attack shook the Federation to the core.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Like i have said before, Kill off all humans but 50,000 in our universe, i dont see an enlightened Federation continuing. If we remember DS9, 1 Breen attack shook the Federation to the core.
Yes, because in Trek by the 24th Century Earth is presented as luxury paradise - everyone has a home, food, a job, the environment is repaired and partially controlled to keep bad weather at bay, you can go anywhere and do anything in safety - if there was one place in the Federation you were supposed to feel nothing bad could get you it's Earth.

Which is why it was great of them to show that the Dominion war left nothing untouched as it raged. It was one of the best dramatic elements of the DS9 final arc. That anything could happen, and nothing was safe.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Could you imagine Vulcans being more like their Romulan cousins...
Why would that be a stretch? That's exactly what they were like on Enterprise.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I would imagine that if a new show would be made, CBS Paramount would have Orci or someone involved with the movie run the show.
Doubtful. There's so much animosity--no, outright hatred--between CBS and Viacom right now that any new show CBS produces probably would be as far removed from the movie as possible and involve a totally different set of creators and producers...

Quote:
Television isn't a very good home for Trek anymore.
It depends on where a new Trek series might air. A broadcast network has never been good for Trek, but a cable network might. And even though the market has shrunk big time over the past decade, there is still the option of syndication (after all, TOS Remastered is still airing there currently)...