The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Wild speculation about the TOS E...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Commander

This movie's meant to be accessible and comprehensible to newcomers as well as long-time fans. For that reason alone, I doubt they'll waste screentime on impenetrable silliness about the evil new ship magically transforming into a 60s relic.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Vice Admiral

The original E is a beautiful ship. It's not a relic. It is a timeless design that still holds up today. "In A Mirror, Darkly" and "Trials And Tribble-Ations" are perfect examples of how the original Constitution class holds up brilliantly today even when compared to modern filming techniques. There's no reason the Jeffries design could not have been used in this film with only slight surface texturing and detailing.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Rear Admiral

I really do not see any of this happening. Admittedly I have enjoyed all the speculations and I really do think you all have talented imaginations. However, at the end of the day we are talking about a new Star Trek. The days of TOS are gone I'm afraid and now we will just have to get used to the idea of newer old story. That is just my take on things though.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
I really do not see any of this happening. Admittedly I have enjoyed all the speculations and I really do think you all have talented imaginations. However, at the end of the day we are talking about a new Star Trek. The days of TOS are gone I'm afraid and now we will just have to get used to the idea of newer old story. That is just my take on things though.
Unfortunately, I agree that you are probably right. However, this thread is called "Wild Speculation About The TOS E..." after all. And that's what we are all doing, speculating wildly. I personally would like to be a little optimistic about the appearance of the real Enterprise somewhere in this movie. Be it at the beginning, or end. I don't care. As long as the beautiful original design shows up somewhere to show just how wierd looking the Abramsprise really is. I'm not kidding myself here. I know it probably won't happen. But here's to wishful thinking.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Omegaman I am sorry but you are wrong, (or what I consider wrong) I examine both images as well. The skylines are different because A. different angle shot, one shot we are looking at the enterprise from its right site the other from the left side, B. Different times of the day = different lighting and colors in the sky. The dead giveaways are the white cylindrical structures. When you look at the picture with Kirk looking at the ship the white structures are clearly in front of him (with the federation flag.) In the image from the teaser photo those same white cylindrical structures are just down a bit and to the right of the welder. Sorry but it is unmistakable.

Take another look
http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/

Although I like your speculation, and I would love it to be true, the timeline was restored and at the end of the movie we see the construction of the old constitution well all know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97705724@N00/3117840111/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9770572...n/photostream/
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Unfortunately, I agree that you are probably right. However, this thread is called "Wild Speculation About The TOS E..." after all. And that's what we are all doing, speculating wildly. I personally would like to be a little optimistic about the appearance of the real Enterprise somewhere in this movie. Be it at the beginning, or end. I don't care. As long as the beautiful original design shows up somewhere to show just how wierd looking the Abramsprise really is. I'm not kidding myself here. I know it probably won't happen. But here's to wishful thinking.
Crossing fingers just to help out.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Lieutenant

Personally I'd love to see the movie end with an upgraded version of the classic Enterprise once the "timeline" is restored and set right...
Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
The original E is a beautiful ship. It's not a relic. It is a timeless design that still holds up today. "In A Mirror, Darkly" and "Trials And Tribble-Ations" are perfect examples of how the original Constitution class holds up brilliantly today even when compared to modern filming techniques. There's no reason the Jeffries design could not have been used in this film with only slight surface texturing and detailing.
I don't expect you to agree, but here's my view. The television effects you're describing are way short of movie quality (I have great fondness for the old designs too). They look very obviously like CG renders done in a hurry and on a comparatively low budget, and to be honest even as a piece of TV FX work don't stand up well to modern scrutiny. Look at Zoic studios' work on Battlestar Galactica for a more up to date example. Modern film effects strive to look real and they use a lot of sophisicated lighting and rendering to do this. It isn't just a question of the surface texturing or small details either. The big cylindrical simple forms don't cut it in today's high quality world of design. They were great in the sixties and the design is iconic but more than just "slight surface detailing" is required to bring them up to date. You may have noticed that none of the Star Trek films, even the beloved old ones used the original sixties design as is. Why do you think that might be?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmok View Post
Omegaman I am sorry but you are wrong, (or what I consider wrong) I examine both images as well. The skylines are different because A. different angle shot, one shot we are looking at the enterprise from its right site the other from the left side, B. Different times of the day = different lighting and colors in the sky. The dead giveaways are the white cylindrical structures. When you look at the picture with Kirk looking at the ship the white structures are clearly in front of him (with the federation flag.) In the image from the teaser photo those same white cylindrical structures are just down a bit and to the right of the welder. Sorry but it is unmistakable.

Take another look
http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/

Although I like your speculation, and I would love it to be true, the timeline was restored and at the end of the movie we see the construction of the old constitution well all know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97705724@N00/3117840111/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9770572...n/photostream/
That's fine, but honestly, does the area circled in red look much more angled than the area where the construction workers are walking across the secondary hull?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pylons.jpg (85.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Pylons1.jpg (105.0 KB, 19 views)

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I don't expect you to agree, but here's my view. The television effects you're describing are way short of movie quality (I have great fondness for the old designs too). They look very obviously like CG renders done in a hurry and on a comparatively low budget, and to be honest even as a piece of TV FX work don't stand up well to modern scrutiny. Look at Zoic studios' work on Battlestar Galactica for a more up to date example. Modern film effects strive to look real and they use a lot of sophisicated lighting and rendering to do this. It isn't just a question of the surface texturing or small details either. The big cylindrical simple forms don't cut it in today's high quality world of design. They were great in the sixties and the design is iconic but more than just "slight surface detailing" is required to bring them up to date. You may have noticed that none of the Star Trek films, even the beloved old ones used the original sixties design as is. Why do you think that might be?
I could not agree more!