The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Wild speculation about the TOS E...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Big D's Avatar
Big D Big D is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,112
Default

This movie's meant to be accessible and comprehensible to newcomers as well as long-time fans. For that reason alone, I doubt they'll waste screentime on impenetrable silliness about the evil new ship magically transforming into a 60s relic.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

The original E is a beautiful ship. It's not a relic. It is a timeless design that still holds up today. "In A Mirror, Darkly" and "Trials And Tribble-Ations" are perfect examples of how the original Constitution class holds up brilliantly today even when compared to modern filming techniques. There's no reason the Jeffries design could not have been used in this film with only slight surface texturing and detailing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Default

I really do not see any of this happening. Admittedly I have enjoyed all the speculations and I really do think you all have talented imaginations. However, at the end of the day we are talking about a new Star Trek. The days of TOS are gone I'm afraid and now we will just have to get used to the idea of newer old story. That is just my take on things though.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
I really do not see any of this happening. Admittedly I have enjoyed all the speculations and I really do think you all have talented imaginations. However, at the end of the day we are talking about a new Star Trek. The days of TOS are gone I'm afraid and now we will just have to get used to the idea of newer old story. That is just my take on things though.
Unfortunately, I agree that you are probably right. However, this thread is called "Wild Speculation About The TOS E..." after all. And that's what we are all doing, speculating wildly. I personally would like to be a little optimistic about the appearance of the real Enterprise somewhere in this movie. Be it at the beginning, or end. I don't care. As long as the beautiful original design shows up somewhere to show just how wierd looking the Abramsprise really is. I'm not kidding myself here. I know it probably won't happen. But here's to wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Darmok's Avatar
Darmok Darmok is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 114
Default

Omegaman I am sorry but you are wrong, (or what I consider wrong) I examine both images as well. The skylines are different because A. different angle shot, one shot we are looking at the enterprise from its right site the other from the left side, B. Different times of the day = different lighting and colors in the sky. The dead giveaways are the white cylindrical structures. When you look at the picture with Kirk looking at the ship the white structures are clearly in front of him (with the federation flag.) In the image from the teaser photo those same white cylindrical structures are just down a bit and to the right of the welder. Sorry but it is unmistakable.

Take another look
http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/

Although I like your speculation, and I would love it to be true, the timeline was restored and at the end of the movie we see the construction of the old constitution well all know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97705724@N00/3117840111/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9770572...n/photostream/
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Unfortunately, I agree that you are probably right. However, this thread is called "Wild Speculation About The TOS E..." after all. And that's what we are all doing, speculating wildly. I personally would like to be a little optimistic about the appearance of the real Enterprise somewhere in this movie. Be it at the beginning, or end. I don't care. As long as the beautiful original design shows up somewhere to show just how wierd looking the Abramsprise really is. I'm not kidding myself here. I know it probably won't happen. But here's to wishful thinking.
Crossing fingers just to help out.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
DolFan2020's Avatar
DolFan2020 DolFan2020 is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida.. hence Dolphins FAN!
Posts: 290
Default

Personally I'd love to see the movie end with an upgraded version of the classic Enterprise once the "timeline" is restored and set right...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Scribbler's Avatar
Scribbler Scribbler is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
The original E is a beautiful ship. It's not a relic. It is a timeless design that still holds up today. "In A Mirror, Darkly" and "Trials And Tribble-Ations" are perfect examples of how the original Constitution class holds up brilliantly today even when compared to modern filming techniques. There's no reason the Jeffries design could not have been used in this film with only slight surface texturing and detailing.
I don't expect you to agree, but here's my view. The television effects you're describing are way short of movie quality (I have great fondness for the old designs too). They look very obviously like CG renders done in a hurry and on a comparatively low budget, and to be honest even as a piece of TV FX work don't stand up well to modern scrutiny. Look at Zoic studios' work on Battlestar Galactica for a more up to date example. Modern film effects strive to look real and they use a lot of sophisicated lighting and rendering to do this. It isn't just a question of the surface texturing or small details either. The big cylindrical simple forms don't cut it in today's high quality world of design. They were great in the sixties and the design is iconic but more than just "slight surface detailing" is required to bring them up to date. You may have noticed that none of the Star Trek films, even the beloved old ones used the original sixties design as is. Why do you think that might be?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 AM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmok View Post
Omegaman I am sorry but you are wrong, (or what I consider wrong) I examine both images as well. The skylines are different because A. different angle shot, one shot we are looking at the enterprise from its right site the other from the left side, B. Different times of the day = different lighting and colors in the sky. The dead giveaways are the white cylindrical structures. When you look at the picture with Kirk looking at the ship the white structures are clearly in front of him (with the federation flag.) In the image from the teaser photo those same white cylindrical structures are just down a bit and to the right of the welder. Sorry but it is unmistakable.

Take another look
http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/

Although I like your speculation, and I would love it to be true, the timeline was restored and at the end of the movie we see the construction of the old constitution well all know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97705724@N00/3117840111/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9770572...n/photostream/
That's fine, but honestly, does the area circled in red look much more angled than the area where the construction workers are walking across the secondary hull?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pylons.jpg (85.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Pylons1.jpg (105.0 KB, 19 views)
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I don't expect you to agree, but here's my view. The television effects you're describing are way short of movie quality (I have great fondness for the old designs too). They look very obviously like CG renders done in a hurry and on a comparatively low budget, and to be honest even as a piece of TV FX work don't stand up well to modern scrutiny. Look at Zoic studios' work on Battlestar Galactica for a more up to date example. Modern film effects strive to look real and they use a lot of sophisicated lighting and rendering to do this. It isn't just a question of the surface texturing or small details either. The big cylindrical simple forms don't cut it in today's high quality world of design. They were great in the sixties and the design is iconic but more than just "slight surface detailing" is required to bring them up to date. You may have noticed that none of the Star Trek films, even the beloved old ones used the original sixties design as is. Why do you think that might be?
I could not agree more!
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.