The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Logical Reasonings!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Ensign

Question Logical Reasonings!

Hmmmm,

As I read Variety's mention of STAR TREK being pushed back, the mention of Star Trek being a "summer tent-pole" glares out at me.

What does this mean? Well if I have learned anything in Digital Film class, a "tent-pole" is a episode or movie of such high-quality that it is used to "tent-pole" or otherwise "shore-up" movies or episodes before and after it.

This makes me wonder, which movies will be showing before and after Star Trek? With all of the sked'ing around going on at the majors, we may see more "tent-poles" than we know what to do with in 2009.

The "tent-poling" is or could be dangerous? Well, if you reason that the "tent-pole" movie or episode flops...this could conceivably bring down the entire "tent."

This makes me believe that Star Trek is of such high quality and has so many great expectations that more than one movie is riding on it.

Is it logical or am I seeing more into it than it is, or is this simple marketing of the majors?

Commentary is welcome.

Sincerely,

TC

Last edited by TCJones : 02-13-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Corrected typographical errors.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Good points, TC. Only time will tell if your tent-pole theory holds true, since apparently all the majors plan on reshuffling their release calendars for the next 18 months' of film titles. We can't know yet what TREK might be up against next May because other studios haven't chimed yet in with any changes they might make.

But despite the general shock and disappointment, there ARE ways this could signal a positive for ST08: if Paramount feels it's so strong they want to tent-pole it in their summer slate, that would be a very early indicator that the film is already exceeding their expectations even when viewing dailies of current production.

If so, Pararmount did one thing "right" already: they staked out an 'empty weekend' date next May with no direct opening-day competition. That would force every other studio in town who's considering shuffling their release dates to either confront TREK at the box office on May 8th or avoid it entirely, thus leaving TREK to having the weekend all to itself.

Yes, some are already worried that WOLVERINE and TRANSFORMERS 2 are bracketed around it to some degree... but that happens to EVERY summer film every year. True, TREK might have had much less competition with a Christmas Day release, but IF that is now defunct, the comparison will be academic sadly.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Ensign

Dear MissionTrek08:

Very true, there is too much "sked'ing" going on at the moment to know exactly what is going to take shape. I think we know just the tip of the iceberg that J.J. and Paramount have in store for us. I think we shall see more wonderful things leading up to and in the movie itself.

In the coming months, it will all be made "clearer" with new trailers and new photos of sets, ships, cast members. I, for one, am very optimistic and excited about this new movie. It is energizing the Star Trek franchise in more ways than one.

We can now look back at the very positive reception of the The Original Series Remastering by CBS Digital and I absolutely enjoy watching the series. Even though, iTunes has crapped out with only twelve episodes and there is not a local affiliate in my area which broadcasts the TOS-R series on a regular basis. I can't wait until the entire three seasons are available on DVD, I shall buy them. Many Kudos to CBS Digital!

Apparently, J.J. Abrams is exactly what Star Trek needs. Nimoy obviously agrees with his "vision" and supports it, and this is coming from a fellow director. So I tend to defer to the professionals and support them in thier creative vision of Star Trek.

Modern media is in a "paradigm shift" at the moment, and it seems as if, anything is possible. Media today is embracing the consumer more intimately than ever before and it is fascinating, but also gives rise to millions of "long tails" or rather, "long tales". Pardon the pun, like I remarked earlier, anything is possible.

The Star Trek Webmaster Program is extremely fascinating, it is nice to see how Paramount is involving the fans. Even a regular guy can participate in a part of it. This is a good feeling of community and gives a sense of belonging that was never there before in media. This also helps soften the hard images that the public has had for generations of the big studios and corporations.

My biggest disappointment this year was by far the discontinuation of "Star Trek Online" development. So many have counted on this game for years and it was a gigantic let-down to hear the news. Maybe someone can generate coding around the assets in the next coming years and put out a decent MMO title. With many new MMO titles coming out this year like, "Stargate Worlds" and the waning popularity of "Star Wars Galaxies," it seems that "Star Trek" is the only title not in the "MMO Gaming" arena. Sad but hopefully, this will change.

I will remain hopeful and optimistic. Star Trek is in good hands. Time will tell if this will remain true.

Sincerely,

TC

Last edited by TCJones : 02-14-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJones View Post
Hmmmm,

As I read Variety's mention of STAR TREK being pushed back, the mention of Star Trek being a "summer tent-pole" glares out at me.

What does this mean? Well if I have learned anything in Digital Film class, a "tent-pole" is a episode or movie of such high-quality that it is used to "tent-pole" or otherwise "shore-up" movies or episodes before and after it.

This makes me wonder, which movies will be showing before and after Star Trek? With all of the sked'ing around going on at the majors, we may see more "tent-poles" than we know what to do with in 2009.

The "tent-poling" is or could be dangerous? Well, if you reason that the "tent-pole" movie or episode flops...this could conceivably bring down the entire "tent."

This makes me believe that Star Trek is of such high quality and has so many great expectations that more than one movie is riding on it.

Is it logical or am I seeing more into it than it is, or is this simple marketing of the majors?

Commentary is welcome.

Sincerely,

TC
Well. I've see some shows by J.J. Abrams. He is good. So it would seem the movie would meet our expectations based on his level of expertise. We will see.

A tent pole movie that anchors all others? Now I've heard it all. Fascinating. And you are right, it could bring out all other tent pole movies trying to outclass each other. This should be interesting. I can't wait.

I would like to think that more time was given to the movie creation, in order to make it of high quality (the writers' strike helped, believe me). Being a tent pole is probably a given, because so much expectation is riding on the one icon of all, Star Trek. It has to be a success. There were other Star Trek movies that failed, but if J.J. Abrams succeeded in transforming it into a great show, then we have not been disappointed. And that is crux of the time to finish the show. Our disappointment. The fans cannot be disappointed, so better to finish it in a longer timeframe, then disappoint us in the end. My opinion.

Tent pole. Fascinating.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Abrams enthusiasm

Well, the way Abrams gushed about his cast, implying that as they shoot he really saw a lot of the original characters, bodes well.

The studio may have been waiting for a first hand look, and now realize they are in for a blockbuster.
Let the other movies play against Trek at there own peril type of thing...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Ensign

I agree...it's time for a knock-out blow...SHIELDS UP, CALL BATTLE STATIONS MR. SULU, ARM MAIN PHASER BANKS AND PHOTON TORPEDOES!

BEWARE ALL MOVIES, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED...LOL!

Just a bit of humor...lol.

TC
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJones View Post
I agree...it's time for a knock-out blow...SHIELDS UP, CALL BATTLE STATIONS MR. SULU, ARM MAIN PHASER BANKS AND PHOTON TORPEDOES!
BELAY THAT ORDER LIEUTENANT!!!!